Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Clydesdale - CC Please

JunCTion Media

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Hello. First post here at FM. Just getting into photography. I've always had a passion for it, just never had the gear. Anywho... here is a photo I took the other day at the Anheuser-Busch Brewery. The Clydesdales were out and about so I snapped a few photos. They didn't give us much time, but this is my favorite. CC is welcomed. I won't be offended at all. I'm a sponge at this point. Thanks everyone!

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:48 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Welcome to FM!
I will try to help.

Here is my CC:
You focused on the eye as well as your whole photo - great job!

It's best capturing your subject with no man made objects in your photo, if you can.
And just try to get the one horse in your capture. But I know with different situations you always can't photograph what you want too.

Try not to cut off your subject. Keeping the full horses head in your photo.

This is a great start.
Asking advice is the right way to get better good for you! You are headed in the right direction!

BeeBalm

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:08 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Thanks BeeBalm. I think that's all good advice. I took a look at some of your photos. Love the Cardinals. Awesome animals. I don't really know what my style is yet. I'm still experimenting. I know I love working with people and taking candids as I travel. I guess I'll figure all that out over time.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll put it to good use.

JunCTion

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:20 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Here are some suggestion that may help your image.
The "eyes" are always the focus point of a portrait shot. As such they should be the most sharp and bright part of the image. In your image the eyes are in shade while the bright spots in the bg are distracting. That reduces the impact of your image.
As BB said cutting parts (mouth) of your subject creates a uneasy feel to the viewer so try to check your framing before pressing the shutter button
Just as a visual help to my comments I re-edited your image for you to see. It it just a quick interpretation (a bit exaggerated for example purpose) that I hope you don't mind, but it is intended to help you develop your own vision. I will delete my re-edit once you have seen it.
Keep shooting and keep posting. You seem to have all the right attitude to learn
Socrate

Edited on Mar 06, 2014 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:52 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Thanks Socrate. I see what you are saying about the eyes. I don't mind your edit at all. I liked the sun to the subjects back, but it would have been nice for at least part of the face to have seen some more direct light instead of being lost in the shadows. Perhaps a reflector would have been idea here. In an idea world. I appreciate the input.

JunCTion

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:07 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Clydesdale - CC Please

JunCTion Media wrote:
Thanks Socrate. I see what you are saying about the eyes. I don't mind your edit at all. I liked the sun to the subjects back, but it would have been nice for at least part of the face to have seen some more direct light instead of being lost in the shadows. Perhaps a reflector would have been idea here. In an idea world. I appreciate the input.

JunCTion

You may also want to think about a fill flash.
Socrate

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:26 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Since your subject was a vertical shape, you should have shot vertically, then you would have got the whole head in the frame and eliminated all the unwanted stuff on both sides.

You can also avoid hot spots and dark spots if you can shoot your subject and background in all shade, or all sunlight.
Not always possible though.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JunCTion Media

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Very good point Imagemaster. I'll be honest, it was my first time out with my new gear. I was using the 85L and had little experience with the FL of the lens. I was fighting to get the shot because of fact there were so many people surrounding the subjects. It was a tough shooting situation. I think once I get more time with my gear, decisions such as shooting vertical will come more naturally. Thanks again!

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:43 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Shasoc wrote:
You may also want to think about a fill flash.
Socrate

+1 I didn't own a flash at the time. Picked up a 600EX. I have options now. Woot! Is it bad I love the gear as much as the photography itself?

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:11 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Welcome to the forum JM. Most of the points noted above apply to "regular" photography, where you are taking a picture of, for example, a horse. Cutting off body parts is fine, and done all the time by photogs who are trying to focus on interesting colors, shapes, and textures that a subject might offer. A tight shot of feather detail on a flamingo would be an example. Keep on posting and learning.

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:37 AM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Clydesdale - CC Please

Rog. I think I follow. Thanks!

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:19 AM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Clydesdale - CC Please

OK,

as a horse lover & owner since most of my life......

You have a sharp photo - so no focus problems. But I would have placed the focus on the eyes, not the horse's forehead.

However, this is a photo I would have shot as a vertical. You've cut the horse's ears & it's nose & mouth. Detail & close ups are ok, but this is neither. Sorry to be critical, but this is dear to heart....

Lil

Mar 07, 2014 at 07:32 PM
JunCTion Media

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Clydesdale - CC Please

No worries Lil. That's what I'm here for. Here to learn and improve. Thank you!

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Clydesdale - CC Please

nice suggestions here

Mar 10, 2014 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password