Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Some praise for Canon

Prevelige
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some praise for Canon

I recently acquired a 1Diii from a trade here on FM. Since the camera had not been sent to Canon for the mirror/AF fix yet, I contacted Canon. They were quick to look up the body, confirm that it had not been in for service, and issue a prepaid airbill for me to send it in. All expected on my part to be candid.

I live in MA, and dropped the camera off at a UPS store on Tuesday at lunchtime. Wednesday morning, I got an email from Canon that the camera was received, and that the work was covered under the recall. I was stunned that it had gotten to NJ, and received, logged and opened by Canon in less than 24 hours.

But wait, there's more...I got another last night that the camera was done, and had been shipped back to me already! When I checked the tracking number that Canon provided, I was stunned to see that the camera would be back in my hands today, as it was sent via FedEx.

From my hands to NJ for the fix and back in my hands in 48 hours flat! That was FAR more than I expected, and I certainly appreciate it.

Great job Canon! Thanks!

Bob

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:20 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some praise for Canon

You can thank a lot of users right here on FM that helped make this repair happen for you. A vocal group of FM'ers battled Canon for months to get them to admit a problem, find a fix, and repair all units under an extended warranty at no cost. I'm glad to hear Canon is providing this service on MKIII's. Most companies would have stopped repairing them at no charge.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:45 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some praise for Canon

Great job Canon! And that is a smart move on their part. Sure it might have cost them some $$ here for the service and the repair but I would be willing to bet they earned and kept your business and you will spread the good word as you are doing here
They handled a mirror fix on a 5D equally as fast!

Good to hear good things
Karl

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:00 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some praise for Canon

that is super fast....almost 4 weeks and counting for my nikon d4 now

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:01 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some praise for Canon

Congrats!

I had a similar issue: bought a 1D3 last year here on B&S. In checking it out, I found irregular center AF focusing.

I simply wrote it up, included a CD with test shots, and sent off to CPS in Irvine, CA.

All repairs were done at no charge, including AF module and mirror assembly. I want to say the shutter was replaced too, but I'd have to check on that (I know they did for a 1D2 I sent in earlier).

Then back to me in under a week. And it's been terrific ever since!

It makes customers into lifelong friends, so I think Canon is smart to help out (even if they were prodded quite hard, as Mark says).

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:09 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some praise for Canon

I have to agree with everyone here. Although I have too much gear to switch to another brand anyway, that sort of customer service goes a long way in my book. I've already told 5 non photographers about the great service I've received from Canon. Want to make people into "fanboys" that's a great start!

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:14 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some praise for Canon

I pass by the Canon repair center in Irvine on my way to work each day. They have always done a good job for me. That means a lot when you've got some expensive camera gear that you need to keep working.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some praise for Canon

CPS Canada has always been good to me, and for me.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:21 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some praise for Canon

I echo the praise.

CPS in Irvine has treated me well and I will continue to treat them well by purchasing more…

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:49 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Some praise for Canon

With all the forum chatter about this, that, and how ELSE they were wronged, cheated, missed focus because the lens aberration, or any other notion of jack-assery, I wanted to be positive for a change.

New mirror box, new firmware, free shipping in both directions and a 48 hour turn around...Canon wins in my book, wins my business, wins my loyalty and wins my praise!

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Some praise for Canon

I'll add a note of praise:

I finally sent them my 200 f2 that I'd bought in 2009 for the 5DIII/1D-X fix, and they found a problem: "... the circuit board was broken so that the shake prevention feature did not function. The circuit board was replaced and product functions were confirmed. Cleaning and other electrical adjustments were carried out. Lens is in factory working specifications."

No charge (they paid shipping both ways).

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:51 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Some praise for Canon

jcolwell wrote:

Unfortunately, Canon Canada has been sliding back to their old (slow and incompetent) ways lately... I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to keep paying $250 per year for bad service.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Some praise for Canon

My last repair by CPS Canada was just over a year ago, in Feb 2013. It went very well. Fixed, fast, free (under warranty).

Too bad you're not happy. You could downgrade to Gold for $100 p.a., just in case you want to buy something.

Edited on Mar 06, 2014 at 11:29 PM · View previous versions

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:11 PM
burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Some praise for Canon

jcolwell wrote:

They were really good to me in October.
While in Nova Scotia visiting the Highland Village the rains started a torrential downpour. my 5D MKII that had been modified for IR went on the fritz. When I stopped in Mississauga to drop off my 800L for the update (I had one of the early models) I asked if they could fix the modified for IR camera. My understanding is they won't work on these. The girl said they would take a look. I got an estimate and when I arrived back home at the end of October the camera arrived fully functioning with the IR modification still intact. I also had them change the glass on the LCD as it had a crack on it. While I was still in Mississauga they also replaced on my modified for Full Spectrum 5D MKII LCD glass which had a minor scratch and repaired my 35L which had a problem focusing when pointing it straight up in the air. For me I the service was terrific, repairs to 2 cameras that were modified, the 35L is working as it should and the 800L is updated. Kudos to Canon Canada Service (CPS) for me.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:28 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Some praise for Canon

jcolwell wrote:
My last repair by CPS Canada was just over a year ago, in Feb 2013. It went very well. Fixed, fast, free (under warranty).

Too bad you're not happy. You could downgrade to Gold for $100 p.a., just in case you want to buy something.

My last one was a couple of weeks ago - slow, and they didn't fix the problem - but at least the shipping was free.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Some praise for Canon

I have to send in a 24-105 for repair, so I'll see how Canon Canada does this time around. Two years ago, I had a 5D2 repaired for $300 and it was gone a total of 3 weeks.

Mar 07, 2014 at 07:02 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Some praise for Canon

if Canon offered an 'unconditional' guarantee against breakdown for say 5 years it would do wonders for their reputation and profitability in my opinion. Some foreign car makers have done the same in the UK and they have rapidly established a footing here.

What would it actually cost Canon? Not much really. If Canon release an inherently faulty product (say the 5D mirror problem) then they have to deal with it anyway, so in effect it is the random failures that would be the additional work.....and most random failures probably occur withing the normal 12 month guarantee period (longer here in the EU) so have to be dealt with by law.

Obviously there would be some additional cost but I suspect the 'real' cost to Canon for most repairs is a fraction of the advertised retail price to the private customer..repairs are probably a nice little earner at the moment.....losing that would be their main cost.

But what value does a company put on a rock solid reputation for reliability?

EDIT: This reminded me that my iPad didn't seem to be working properly in January. The seller just replaced it with a new one, virtually no questions asked....it seems to be Apple policy as a friend who dropped hers (it stopped working after that!!) had hers replaced the same way.

Mar 07, 2014 at 09:31 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Some praise for Canon

Prevelige wrote:
I recently acquired a 1Diii from a trade here on FM. Since the camera had not been sent to Canon for the mirror/AF fix yet, I contacted Canon. They were quick to look up the body, confirm that it had not been in for service, and issue a prepaid airbill for me to send it in. All expected on my part to be candid.

I live in MA, and dropped the camera off at a UPS store on Tuesday at lunchtime. Wednesday morning, I got an email from Canon that the camera was received, and that the work was covered under
...Show more

How DARE you make a post praising Canon! Not one mention of how they're still using dinosaur sensors with 0 dynamic range and 18 megapixels...

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:28 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Some praise for Canon

molson wrote:
My last one was a couple of weeks ago - slow, and they didn't fix the problem - but at least the shipping was free.

In fairness to Canon, they did take about the same length of time as my last Nikon Canada NPS service experience, but Canon had set the bar so high over the past few years that going back to "normal" turnaround times is a letdown.

Mar 07, 2014 at 06:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password