Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1Dx settings for base/softball?

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 1Dx settings for base/softball?

My "new" 1Dx emerged from the shop for the second time in its short life time and I'm now in the golf, track, baseball, and softball season. Golf and track are fairly straight forward and I only get a couple of times each season to shoot them.

Baseball and softball are hot sports in this little town (they even made the state tournament last year in baseball, that was rare). I'm mostly shooting with the 70-200 f/2.8L v2 and a very old non-IS 300 f/4.0. In general I'm liking what I get though I'm frustrated with the fairly common occurrence of the camera/lens picking up an out fielder out of my focus area rather than the one catching the ball. I've tried Case One and yesterday Case Four but not seeing a lot of difference.

Those of you with greater experience with the camera and the sport, I'd appreciate your approach. This is small town, small school ball on the backside of nowhere. I'm on either base line and basically have freedom to shoot from anywhere not in the field of play.

Thanks,

Robert

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:18 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 1Dx settings for base/softball?

If you are picking up an outfielder, does that mean you have focus point expansion set? If so, try using only one focus point.

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:11 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 1Dx settings for base/softball?

PhotoTeacher wrote:
If you are picking up an outfielder, does that mean you have focus point expansion set? If so, try using only one focus point.

Yeah, I'm set to "surrounding" points (4). Logically single should give me what I'm aiming at (assuming my aim is correct). I'll try it.

Thanks,

Robert

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:26 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 1Dx settings for base/softball?

The camera AF is looking for contrast. Trying to get a lock on a player who is dressed in solid white or black uni's can be a challenge and may have contributed to what you experienced. Single focal point should help if you can find a contrasting area to put it on.

Matt

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:12 PM
Silver506

p.1 #5 · 1Dx settings for base/softball?

It may also help to set the Back Focus on the 1DX. Then you can compose your shot and wait for the action with worrying that when you depress your shutter button that you will lose your established focus spot.

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password