FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

thw2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

chez wrote:
I think mirrorless having roughly 20% of the interchangable lens market in the short few years they have been out is very impressive. The latest releases from Fuji and Sony are truly very capable systems. I think we'll see mirrorless continue to grow at most likely the expense of DSLR cameras.

My take is quite different. Before the advent of MILCs, the combined market shares for Canikon had always hovered around 75 to 80% of the worldwide market for interchangeable lens cameras. After the arrival of MILCs, nothing changed. It almost appears as though folks who were not fans of Canikon DSLRs continued to shun Canikon, and the opposite is also somewhat true. Mind you, this is taking the worldwide market into consideration, not just the few folks who frequent camera forums.

Simply put, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Fujifilm hardly made any advances in their market shares.

This is certainly true up to 2013. It is hard to say what 2014 is going to bring, but I suspect, little change.

One fact to remember is this: any product that fails to capture the interest of the American market is destined to fail.

Having said all that, I believe DSLRs will eventually be replaced by something fully electronic, mostly because it's much cheaper to manufacture electronic than opto-mechanical parts. I just do not think we are there yet.

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:26 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

Pixel Perfect wrote:
While I do prefer the size of the DSLR's I prefer the weight of the m4/3's. I can work my E-M5 pretty fast, but its ergonomics aren't as good as the 5D III's say. Still it's often nice to use then E-M5 and 12-35 f/2.8 just for how light and discreet it is compared to the 5DIII + 24-70 f/2.8, almost 1kg difference!

I'm still not sure if I want to invest further in the mirrorless, or just get say a GX1 II as my take everywhere camera.

Honestly, I hated the ergonomics and EVF of the EM5. But if Olympus (or Fujifilm) produces a superb 200 mm (FF equivalent) macro lens and 600 mm (FF equivalent) telephoto lens, I will take a good look at the m43 offerings again.

I haven't bought a take-everywhere camera after my nephew damaged my old p&s. The G1X II, upcoming Nikon P8000 and Sony RX100 II are all in the running...

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:34 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

I think I could live with an RX1 (with 35 f2) and RX1a (with 135 f2 Macro).

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:50 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

thw2 wrote:
One fact to remember is this: any product that fails to capture the interest of the American market is destined to fail.

That may well have been the case from the 1950s to 2000... but the times, they are a changing.

The middle class in Asia is massive and has money to spend. The Eurozone is a real consumer market.

Now, a product that doesn't capture the interest of the American market is surely at a major disadvantage. No doubt. And in many cases something that hits a global common denominator will do better. But the consumer market has expanded greatly in recent years.

There are plenty of products and product segments that have driven first through non-US markets, sometimes for a decade or longer, as US customers ignored it or found it uninteresting (sometimes before a change in sentiment and sometimes not).

I do agree though that as long as mirrorless doesn't find great success in the U.S.-- mirrorless will not take off like it could.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:33 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

I used some nice P&S cameras but now have switched completely over to a cell phone (Galaxy Note 3). It's a pretty amazing device. Great IQ and fast enough to grab quick moments when needed. Great in low light too.

So for me it's a full-size dslr for those things that demand it, but 90% of the time the cell phone does the trick. That way I'm not having to ever worry about bringing a camera or trying to fit a large P&S in my pocket.

http://markfadely.smugmug.com/photos/i-Zc8HS8f/0/XL/i-Zc8HS8f-XL.jpg

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.