New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

I thought this would be of interest to many people here. What was very curious to me is the sharp drop in fixed lens cameras and the fact that DSLRs gained 5% in market share this year while mirrorless cameras (which were apparently supposed to take over the world) only gained 1%.

From Lensvid.com

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Infographic-1920-1200-01.jpg

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:36 AM
krementz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

Thanks. Very interesting. Cell phone cameras are making a huge impact.

The reviews of current generation mirrorless cameras show opportunities for improvement. I think when the EVF becomes as fast as the OVF, ie, no human can see the difference, mirrorless will take off.

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:05 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

I think mirrorless having roughly 20% of the interchangable lens market in the short few years they have been out is very impressive. The latest releases from Fuji and Sony are truly very capable systems. I think we'll see mirrorless continue to grow at most likely the expense of DSLR cameras.

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:49 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

krementz wrote:
Thanks. Very interesting. Cell phone cameras are making a huge impact.

Indeed, the plummeting sales of fixed lens cameras is quite something.

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:57 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

I think that eventually what we are going to see is nothing but high end fixed lens cameras. All of the low end cameras are more or less going to disappear as people start to use nothing but cell phones.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:24 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

"Verrry Interestinic." Is Lensvid a non-native English written web site? Their use of the language in this info-graphic is horrible. Raises questions in this former researchers mind about their accuracy overall. Given the economic situation of the time, I'm surprised to see that world wide camera sales rose in 2010 and didn't begin to drop until the following year. Since 08-10 were the depths of the "Great Recession" this is counter-intuitive.

Not surprising to see P&S sales dive. I think we all have expected that. Also agree that "fixed lens" camera will likely become a high end niche (think Sony RX-1, Fuji X-100s). I agree with Chez, while IDC's prediction was absurd (who knows what they used to predict a product that had no history , I think the MIL market share is quite impressive. Also agree as EVF approaches equivalence with OVF the mirrorless cameras will continue to grow.

My only real question is given the dramatic slump in sales across the board, why haven't the big manufacturers responded with aggressive sales and price cutting?

Interesting bit of reporting. Thanks deepblue for finding and bringing to our attention.

Robert

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:55 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

OntheRez wrote:
My only real question is given the dramatic slump in sales across the board, why haven't the big manufacturers responded with aggressive sales and price cutting?

My guess is that they quickly realised that no amount of bailing will save a ship with a sodding great hole in the bottom. So they rapidly adjusted to the new reality rather than doing a Kodak and pretending the old one still held. You can see this in the move to more upmarket P&S's (RX100, X10, X100 etc), creation of new mirrorless lines, and an expansion in the number of consumer DSLR models.

Basically it looks like the big manufacturers saw the decline of P&S coming and didn't get caught out.

The absence of big discounts on DSLR and mirrorless models is perhaps explained by buyers being happy to purchase a model lower down the range rather than none at all, or just that the manufacturers didn't expect to sell so many anyway.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:44 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

deepbluejh wrote:
I think that eventually what we are going to see is nothing but high end fixed lens cameras. All of the low end cameras are more or less going to disappear as people start to use nothing but cell phones.

Did you mean "nothing but high end fixed lens cameras"? I think we see a near extinction of all fixed lens cameras, with mobile phones completely absorbing them. Similar to the extinction of electronic note takers, like Palm Pilot: smart phones killed them.

I think we are going to see high end interchangeable lens cameras as the only long term market. The DSLR market will morph into mirrorless.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:01 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

krementz wrote:
Did you mean "nothing but high end fixed lens cameras"? I think we see a near extinction of all fixed lens cameras, with mobile phones completely absorbing them.

That's what I said?

I don't think all fixed lens cameras are going to go away. Regardless of how good the sensors in phones get (and they will get very good), those tiny lenses are still garbage. The rules of optics govern how good a tiny, non-zooming lens can be. A regular point and shoot still has the capability for a far superior lens to a cell phone. For that reason, I don't see them going away.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:11 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

These numbers, assuming they are accurate, make me wonder if we have reached a saturation point of people entering the photography biz. If so, it might actually represent some mild, good news for pros.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:28 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

Eyeball wrote:
These numbers, assuming they are accurate, make me wonder if we have reached a saturation point of people entering the photography biz. If so, it might actually represent some mild, good news for pros.

That's probably more governed by photography business economics than camera sales - once there are so many folk that incomes bottom out at close to the breadline, then you are saturated

With respect to the related phenomena of people no longer actually using Pro photographers, i wouldn't be too optimistic for an upturn.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:34 PM
Napalm
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

Porfessional. Isnpiring.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:54 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

deepbluejh wrote:

Not everyone in the world is that stupid. The crappy snappers whose life revolves posting shit on Facebook and the like, will use them, but for those that actually take photography even a little bit seriously will know just how pathetic smartphones are and will want something better. Just like the death of the PC is a lot of a hogwash, the death of the DSLR or advanced all-in-one is also a lot of hogwash. This planet has a a habit of fad cycles and as they say, everything old will be new again.

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:17 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Not everyone in the world is that stupid. The crappy snappers whose life revolves posting shit on Facebook and the like, will use them, but for those that actually take photography even a little bit seriously will know just how pathetic smartphones are and will want something better. Just like the death of the PC is a lot of a hogwash, the death of the DSLR or advanced all-in-one is also a lot of hogwash. This planet has a a habit of fad cycles and as they say, everything old will be new again.

Your first sentence makes it sounds like you disagree with me, then the rest of what you wrote basically mirrors exactly what I just said.

I don't see advanced, fixed lens point and shoots going away any time soon. The lower end stuff (<$300) is going the way of the dinosaur though.

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:32 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

Pixel Perfect wrote:

The death of the PC is really the end of exponential growth in that industry. The easy money is long gone. As the digital camera industry matures the same will happen or is happening. I think DSLRs and accessories are somewhat overpriced now and that contributes to slower sales. Replacement cycles are slowing it would seem.

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

What I get out of the info is that DSLR's still far exceed mirrorless in sales. Personally I don't expect mirrorless to overtake DSLR's anytime soon. The fact is if you buy mirrorless APC or 4/3's you are buying into a camera system that has serious limitations (AF, sensor size, no optical viewfinder, noise, durability, native lens range). If you buy a DSLR (especially a mid-high range) you have a camera that can do practically anything and is limited only by the user. I don't think canon and Nikon are as stupid as what people think with their reluctance to launch full throttle into the mirrorless market. They can probably make more money overall if they can sell higher end products for higher prices plus make the entry level DSLR's as attractive as possible to get people into buying into a system of lenses. I have so much invested in lenses that I really use and are not available to any of the other mirrorless systems (think super telephoto and tilt shift) that I won't be shifting wholly to mirrorless till canon produce a body that does not have any of the limitations they currently do and I can use all my glass natively on a canon body.

It's simple economics that you can make just as much profit by selling smaller numbers of higher quality units at higher prices as you can by selling large numbers at cut throat volume prices. Mirrorless will become the new cut-throat market while DSLR's remain the premium product.

Still what to do I know! History tells us that anyone claiming to predict the future is almost always wrong except occasionally by accident.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:09 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

The market of mirrorless cameras surely will continue to grow, especially also towards the FF direction. The mirrorless cameras will replace some DSLR cameras, but not the professional ones. It will take a while until mirrorless sytems are capable to shoot with a high fps rate for example. Most "better" mirrorless cameras will be bought in addition to new or existing DSLRs since they are ideal for low weight traveling and less suspicious camera/lens sizes.

In any way prices especially for FF sensor-based cameras will continue to go down since more competitive models hit the market. In the (semi-) professional class FF will become the main standard. Improved sensors and faster image processors will make it possible to shoot fast with a DSLR and crop if needed. Cropped sensors will be slowly but surely replaced by FF sensors (which might take a few more years since camera companies can still make money with APS-C sensors).

Camera demand will be different by location. Asia and also Europe will be more open to smaller, more compact but powerful mirrorless camera models especially at lower prices. It looks like that the US will be a bit slower in this regard.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

After diving into mirrorless for the last 3 years with 3 different models I was really glad to buy a 6D. What a joy to use. The wee M43 cameras are great for carrying but too small for comfortable and speedy use.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

Gochugogi wrote:
After diving into mirrorless for the last 3 years with 3 different models I was really glad to buy a 6D. What a joy to use. The wee M43 cameras are great for carrying but too small for comfortable and speedy use.

While I do prefer the size of the DSLR's I prefer the weight of the m4/3's. I can work my E-M5 pretty fast, but its ergonomics aren't as good as the 5D III's say. Still it's often nice to use then E-M5 and 12-35 f/2.8 just for how light and discreet it is compared to the 5DIII + 24-70 f/2.8, almost 1kg difference!

I'm still not sure if I want to invest further in the mirrorless, or just get say a GX1 II as my take everywhere camera.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Infographic on the camera industry in 2013

If I want a 'small' take anywhere camera I put my 40mm pancake on the 5D3. It will kick the ass of the X100s anyday Okay so its not that small but it does feel amazingly compact.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.