New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26463886

To quote: "Getty Images, the world's largest photo agency, has made vast swathes of its library free to use, in an effort to combat piracy."

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:40 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

Yeah, I saw that. Mmm... I need to cogitate on the ramifications.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:15 AM
shelbystripes

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

This is how I basically read it:

1) Getty buys a software company that combined a webcrawler with a photo-scanner to try to find unauthorized copies of copyrighted images quickly, anywhere on the Internet. Getty assumes they could use this to root out copyright infringers and sue them, and thus set a "precedent" to discourage others.

2) Getty sets up a system to webcrawl for their images. The webcrawl returns millions of hits, as in, literally millions of different webpages and blog posts that contained Getty's images. Getty replies, "Oh, f***."

3) Getty realizes that suing literally millions of individual infringers would take an enormous amount of money and time, so instead they choose to grant a non-commercial use license for millions of their photos to essentially anybody. This lets them focus resources on enforcing their rights against commercial entities (which, let's be honest, are the ones that would have any money to recover in a lawsuit anyway), and avoids creating an immense amount of bad publicity like what happened to the MPAA when it started suing single moms and computer-illiterate senior citizens. Getty comes across looking generous, probably saves some resources by focusing on infringement by publishers and advertisers going forward, and doesn't lose any more than they already have.

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:39 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

Getty owns a company like that for a couple of years.
It's called PicScout.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

I saw this earlier too. Also this week Getty discontinued their partnership with Flickr. I have about 40 photos through Flickr that are sold on Getty and about 20 in the queue. A good thing is that all getty contributors through flickr will now able to be part of Getty like any other contributor. The crappy part about it is that they will still only honor you the ridiculous flickr getty cut of 20% for RF and 30% for RM...

On a side note of all my images that were sold only one was used for noncommercial use.

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:40 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

I honestly believe that we are heading for a world where copyright law ceases to exist for all items that are lawfully or unlawfully placed on the www. Possession, obtained morally or immorally, will unfortunately trump ownership. Why anyone will have the commercial incentive to create anything is fast become a mystery to me.

Effectively copyright and secrecy will ultimately become the same thing. If you can keep your photo/recipe/design/music off the web you have a chance of enforcing your copyright, but if it gets on to the net, forget royalties and the other privileges of ownership. That would be a very depressing state of affairs, but it seems to me to be happening already, and photographers are amongst the first real victims. I offer no comment on the operations of any particular company, just a general observation from the other side of the pond.

In my own country there is a worry precedent being set over"orphan" items where the creater cannot easily be identified:

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2013/orphan-works-the-new-law-in-the-uk

Or am I being too pessimistic? Probably, but I can't help feel that photographers' position just gets weaker and weaker.

Mar 16, 2014 at 05:19 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

David Baldwin wrote:
...and photographers are amongst the first real victims.

Not to mention musos. That being said, concerts generally garner more interest than exhibitions.

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:16 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

Forgive my little rant, just don't really know where this is all going to end.

Mar 16, 2014 at 08:38 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Getty makes 35 million photos free to use"

Me too. And having seen the rise of digital and the demise of the newspaper photog. - friends and colleagues - we are in strange times.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.