New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

golfnphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

Perhaps this is a topic that may been discussed ad nauseam before, so apologies. I am a weekend shooter and the zoom creep in a lens that is less than an year old is somewhat concerning. It is not completely loose, but it slowly spirals down when the lens is held up or down vertically. The lens was part of the 6D combo package. My previous experience with this problem was with the Canon 17-55mm but that showed up after many years.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:29 AM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

Send it in to Canon before your warranty is up and they can fix it. A common issue with this lens.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

Mine creeps, but it's not an issue for me.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:52 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

If you do some searching, you'll find a procedure on how to fix this yourself. There are three or four tiny screws located under the rubber focus ring. Tightening those screws applies more pressure to some plastic pads, so the lens will be less likely to creep.

You could send it to Canon while under the warranty, but you'll likely have to make the adjustment again in the future.

I've tightened the screws on mine a couple of times. Now I don't bother anymore.

Mark

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:10 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

I found the zoom creep a real issue when I was shooting inside Antelope Canyon. I'd setup the shot, many times from near ground level pointing up and as soon as I am ready to shoot, the lens moves. In fact, my exposures were long and the lens quite often moved during the shot.

I am totally amazed Canon has not fixed this issue on the more recent copies of this lens. Not very responsive to a major issue with this lens that affects many copies.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:47 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

Lens band is a simple rubber band type of device to lock zoom (and even focus ring in manual focus mode). Comes in assorted colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Band-Stop-Zoom-Creep-for-Zoom-Lenses-Silver-/371009663566?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item5661e6324e

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

My 24-105 is 8 years old and doesn't creep in normal hand held use, e.g., can shoot straight down. However if left on a tripod pointed straight down for several minutes it does creep a wee bit and can be PITA during a long exposure. In such case I use a large rubber band to lock it. Friendship band teens wear works great. I use one from Wilson's Leathers...

I suspect the amount of creep wear is related to how much and how vigorously you zoom. I've actually owned much worse creepers: 28-135 USM and 80-200 Nikkor were both loose as a goose and moved just by breathing on them!

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

Just send in under warranty. They will tighten it up, clean and calibrate it. When I did this it came back very tight and did not creep for the next year or so I had it. I was happy!

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:16 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

The fix is literally 2 minutes. Save time and Canon repair $$$ All you need is a very very small phillips head, you can use a flat head if it fits into the phillips. ONLY a small amount of clockwise turn is necessary.

1. Ease the rubber focus ring back onto the lens body
2. Look for the exposed hole
3. Rotate the focus while looking at the hole until you see a very small screw (there will be 3)
4. SLIGHTLY turn the screw 1/4 turn (or less) then REPEAT FOR THE 2 REMAINING SCREWS
5. Point the lens straight down and gently shake. If the lens is stationary you are DONE.
6. Reseat the focus rubber ring

Mine when held downward with only a slight movement would creep before the fix which is real annoying when hanging from my BlackRapid strap. Now even a good shake and it stays put.

Good Luck!

Matt

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:33 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

msalvetti wrote:
If you do some searching, you'll find a procedure on how to fix this yourself. There are three or four tiny screws located under the rubber focus ring. Tightening those screws applies more pressure to some plastic pads, so the lens will be less likely to creep.

You could send it to Canon while under the warranty, but you'll likely have to make the adjustment again in the future.

I've tightened the screws on mine a couple of times. Now I don't bother anymore.

Mark

I've read about this theory many times... but has it actually resolved the problem for anyone? I tried it, and it did not make a difference.

Dan,

... who looked again right after posting this to see that the prior posted did get a fix out of it! I guess I'll have to try it again! :-) Mine is also in that category of "doesn't creep in normal use but may when pointed straight now."

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:55 AM
doowop42
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

I once owned this lens and tried the fix without success.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

I tried the fix to no avail also. I sent it to CPS for a clean and check, and requested it be tightened. It came back a bit better, but has since loosened quite a bit, and moves quite freely. I agree that it's terribly annoying.

Bob

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

I think the wrist band is the only way to go. Mine creeps when I walk with it faced down. I previously owned the tamron 24-70, and that thing is very tight when I first bought it. Few years down the line, it did loosen considerably, but not to the point of creeping. I figure in a few more years, it'll creep. Might as well use the wrist band and save the trouble.

Oct 23, 2014 at 03:22 PM
doowop42
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

I don't understand how the band works.Is it just compression?

Oct 23, 2014 at 03:26 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

doowop42 wrote:
I don't understand how the band works.Is it just compression?

if you put a wrist band ½ around the zoom ring and ½ around the lens barrel, it will not creep.

Oct 23, 2014 at 04:55 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

I bought one when they were a kit lens with the original 5D, and it never had a problem. The newer ones seem to generate a lot of complaints, so a material or process has changed.

Ask Canon to fix it, you should not have to use a half baked rubber band trick.

Oct 23, 2014 at 09:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

Indeed. Canon, the 24-105 is meant to be an L lens.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

scalesusa wrote:
I bought one when they were a kit lens with the original 5D, and it never had a problem. The newer ones seem to generate a lot of complaints, so a material or process has changed.

Hmm, mine is a 5D kit lens from 2006 too and it haven't loosened much at all. Well the one thing that has changed is the price: it cost a lot more 8 or 9 years ago.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zoom creep with 24-105mm - Less than 1-year old

scalesusa wrote:

Mine is of the older vintage and it has major zoom creep.

Oct 24, 2014 at 07:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.