FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · My attempt at a snowy

VinnieJ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My attempt at a snowy

Sooner or later I will find the secret to get a good shot of a snowy. I'm guessing the answer is more patience or going to a different location. I couldn't get closer to this little girl with out violating federal migratory bird laws or trespassing onto private property. Shooting eagles is easier since they will come to you eventually if you just sit by the rivers edge.

She was at least somewhat close to the road to shoot.

Took a while for me to wait for an IF shot. Too bad it wasn't toward me.

Not much later someone else came by without a telephoto lens and decided to break some laws by getting closer. Shortly after they scared the owl away.

A pic of her watching the people walking closer.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:04 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My attempt at a snowy

Lots of patience is a key factor I think. I've sat with snowies for 9 hours and watched them just sit in the same spot all day. I also found out that mine liked to hunt at 4 o'clock from 3 select perches that they preferred. Observing their behavior and their favorite perches without pursuing them may allow you to capture their natural behavior in and around these perches. I would park nearby these perches and just wait until they'd come to me. Of course, others spooking the bird up will not help with this.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:20 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My attempt at a snowy

Good tips Herb, and a nice set Vinnie. Patience is a virtue for sure.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:24 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My attempt at a snowy

They can be frustrating for sure but eventually, and often when you least expect it, you'll get that shot and be over the moon that you did!
Eric

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:29 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My attempt at a snowy

Thanks for the advice. I need to find some that aren't advertised on photography or birding forums. I won't be able to observe them if other people will just show up and disturb them.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My attempt at a snowy

Hats off to you Vinnie for respecting the bird's space, that can get really get frustrating but nobody said having integrity was easy As noted above, patience and observation are key in all wildlife photography. You did a wonderful job with the opportunity you were given, great job

Tim

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:45 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My attempt at a snowy

Herb Houghton wrote:
Lots of patience is a key factor I think. I've sat with snowies for 9 hours and watched them just sit in the same spot all day. I also found out that mine liked to hunt at 4 o'clock from 3 select perches that they preferred. Observing their behavior and their favorite perches without pursuing them may allow you to capture their natural behavior in and around these perches. I would park nearby these perches and just wait until they'd come to me. Of course, others spooking the bird up will not help with this.

an excellent bird tip Herb.. pretty much exactly what my brother and i do with kingfishers.. then we put our perches in a little better spot than theirs.. so they start using ours

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:52 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My attempt at a snowy

Your respect for the birds space is admirable ! Great job with the circumstances .

Birdie

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:53 AM
ardvorak
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My attempt at a snowy

You came away with some nice shots! And hats off to you for your standards. I've been frustrated by the same. There are three snowies that are well-known to local birders, and they seem to be often chased around their fields by overzealous individuals. That, or baited.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:05 AM
surgemaster
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My attempt at a snowy

I like the comps and way #1 and 5 show them comfortable in their harsh environment.
Rex

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:42 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.