Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · X-T1 With Non-Fuji Flash Question and manual focus..

Chris Ventura
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T1 With Non-Fuji Flash Question and manual focus..

I have a question that perhaps someone could help me with. I'm sitting here playing around/familiarizing myself with the X-T1 and I have mounted via adapter a Nikon 105 2.5 Ais and also a Non-Fuji Flash that I have setup in manual mode ( Yes it's a low voltage, 4V unit made for nikon but triggers just fine here ). I have the Fuji Set to ISO 200, with shutter speed set to 180/second ( Flash sync speed ). I also have my lens aperture set to F5.6. Flash is manually set to the power output I want, and I have set the X-T1 to "force flash".

My issue is, the Viewfinder is dark. So dark I can't see enough to manually focus on my subject. I know why, it's seeing my exposure, so it's showing me exactly what my exposure would give me *if* I was not using a flash. But thats' the problem. I have told the camera to force flash.. so I will be providing light. Of course, if I turn the ISO to auto, the viewfinder brightens up instantly as the camera picks ISO 1600, and I can see perfectly my subject I want to photograph, but, well.. I don't want ISO 1600 since I am providing flash...

So my question is, what would be the best way to set the camera so I can actually focus when providing light that is not entering the frame, but will be coming via flash? Seems to me, since I am telling the camera to "force flash" that it should know I am providing some sort of external light and thus, should brighten the viewfinder so I could at least focus. But obviously I am not thinking correctly here because that is not what is happening

I guess another example would be, what if I wanted to shoot some shallow depth of field portraits outside on a sunny day using a manual focus lens and fill flash? ( I manually set the aperture ). In this scenario I would use a ND filter to bring the available light down 180/sec so I could sync with my flash for fill.. am I going to be facing the same issue? Too dark to focus even though the viewfinder CAN brighten up enough to give me visual info to focus, but it won't because it's reading exposure that is coming through the lens and not my intended exposure when forcing the flash to trigger? Seems a great loss for an EVF... or I'm missing something. I'm sure I am doing something wrong here.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:34 AM
MrFoopy

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T1 With Non-Fuji Flash Question and manual focus..

I don't have an X-T1 (unfortunately) but is what you're looking for the ScreenSetup -> PreviewExposureInManualMode == OFF setting? The default is ON and that would account for the dark EVF. See page 49 of the manual.

I sure wish they'd get rid of the ALL-CAPS-BOLD business in their onscreen menus. It reminds me of an old online AOL forum.

Hope that's what you're looking for. Good luck, and enjoy the camera!

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Chris Ventura
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T1 With Non-Fuji Flash Question and manual focus..

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate it.. I knew I was missing something.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:56 AM
graeme

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T1 With Non-Fuji Flash Question and manual focus..

Glad to hear someone struggled with this one like me :-)

I also couldn't get to the flash settings (kept skipping over them when scrolling on the menu) -- eventually I figured out the camera can't be in Silent mode. That wasn't very obvious (though a RTFM found it eventually).

Graeme

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:43 AM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T1 With Non-Fuji Flash Question and manual focus..

MrFoopy wrote:
PreviewExposureInManualMode == OFF setting? The default is ON and that would account for the dark EVF. See page 49 of the manual.

As said above, This should take care of your issue ;-)

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:51 AM
mjbetch
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T1 With Non-Fuji Flash Question and manual focus..

OP, thanks for posting this. I was having this issue as well. Thanks!

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:58 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.