Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

A few days ago, I was removing the 1.4x extender from my Canon 500 f/4L II and noticed that the rear element was wobbling around. Any little vibration or shake would cause noise as if something was loose inside.
The next day I took it to Canon Irvine.

The tech took a look at my lens and came back with a smile. He told me that you can't remove the lens with the image stabilization engaged without first turning off the camera. I usually turn off the camera when swapping lenses but this time I was quickly swapping the 500 II for the 400 f/5.6L and perhaps left the camera on during the switch.

Mounting the lens, activating shutter and tuning off the camera before removing the lens fixed the issue. I thought I would share this because this is the first time I've seen this.
Fred

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:55 PM
jjoejr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

Very informative. So does it apply to all the II series super telephotos?

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

jjoejr wrote:
Very informative. So does it apply to all the II series super telephotos?

He told me this happens with the 100L macro as well. I never really saw this happening with any of my lenses but perhaps it's very common.
Fred

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

That is interesting info Fred. I am sure I am guilty of the same once in a while too.
Engaged may mean active VS just in the on position?

Thanks for the info
Karl

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

Thanks Fred, A trip to Canon for me involves shipping.

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:14 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

Fred, thank you, the 100L is one of my favorites, it and the 70-200 f4L are switched out quite often, appreciate the heads up

Jerry

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

That is interesting Fred and it sounds like yet another habit I probably ought to break. I rarely turn off the camera when changing lenses and almost all I shoot are super teles

Tim

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

I think the key is that the IS was still engaged at that instant rather than just turned on or perhaps 'back button' focus activated?

Karl

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #9 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

You didn't specifically say, but I presume that the lens was damaged and had to be repaired? Does this mean that the rear element is part of the IS mechanism?

Db

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

Doctorbird wrote:
You didn't specifically say, but I presume that the lens was damaged and had to be repaired? Does this mean that the rear element is part of the IS mechanism?

Db

The lens was not damaged at all. The rear element seemed loose/wobbly. The issue was fixed by mounting the lens on the camera, half pressing the shutter button and turning the camera off.
I had never seeing this before and thought it was interesting as well. I later tested the lens and was tack sharp like always.

It could be that the lens was removed while the IS mechanism was not entirely shut off. The tech mentioned the 100L macro having a similar issue.

If this happens to any of you, at least now you will know what to do.

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:31 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #11 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

Wow, until now, I almost never have shut off the camera before a lens swap. Great to know (and now I'll go seek if this info is in the manuals), if it is....... 'hit self over head and ask how did I miss it'?

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

I nearly always turn my camera off when changing lenses if for no other reason than to minimise dust issues caused by static charge. Sometimes I've forgotten, but I can't
recall doing this with the 500 II.

Anyway good heads up for future reference.

Mar 06, 2014 at 01:10 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

Interesting. But the new feature in 1DX firmware that automatically changes settings when swapping in or out a TC only works if the camera is left on. Therefore indicating that it is okay to swap powered on (I always do). I guess turning off IS but leaving the camera on is the way to go. That said I've never noticed it happen to my lenses and I do this all the time.

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:12 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #14 · Canon EF 500 f/4L II and wobbling sound.

This has never happened to me, unless it manifested itself in other subtle ways. But there is always a first time, so I'll be careful from now on.

Db

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password