Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

My 17-55 2.8 IS has developed a particular problem: the MF ring is sticky to the touch. It's tacky, similar to half cured glue. I'm guessing the rubberized coating is breaking down. Oddly the rubber zoom ring is fine. Any home-brew means of "curing" the finish back to a nonstick state?

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:21 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

Peter, I've had a few older lenses do this and since replacement rings are scarce or not available, with some experimentation, three options work best for me. I kind of wonder if Canon might not have the ring as a spare part you can order, given the 17-55 is a newer lens?

Past solutions...
- 1st are thick rubber bands, several put together make for a reasonable grip.
- 2nd is tennis racket grip material, there's is a huge variety, from slick to sticky, rubber to leather, your local sports shop will have what's needed.
- 3rd, your can get a spray sealer, matte finish, clear, tape off the non-grip areas of the lens and apply the sealer over the ring surface...

I've not heard of or seen any rubber 're-conditioner' but that doesn't mean it isn't an option

Jerry

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

Thanks for the suggestions Jerry! You're a practical guy and those are great if you actually need to immediately use the lens. It's a mint lens other than the sticky rubberized paint on the MF ring.

I managed to clean it off with a mild solvent, i.e., rubbing alcohol. Dap a little on a cotton rag and wipe. It took me 3 or 4 clean/dry cycles and now it's perfect. The alcohol dissolved the thin layer of paint (rag turned black) and what's left is the plain ribbed plastic ring. Looks the same (black) but is no longer sticky.

The main thing is to be careful: don't over soak the rag with alcohol or liquid could leak into the innards.

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:33 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

Gochugogi wrote:
My 17-55 2.8 IS has developed a particular problem: the MF ring is sticky to the touch. It's tacky, similar to half cured glue. I'm guessing the rubberized coating is breaking down. Oddly the rubber zoom ring is fine. Any home-brew means of "curing" the finish back to a nonstick state?

That might be an uncurable solution. Ha! Get it?

Ok, nevermind. Does it look like it really is breaking down, ie. changed color or appearance? It could have been exposed to something. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lotta surface area you can experiment with. Typically, the problem with older rubber on cheaper lenses is it turns white, and that's an easy solution. And the zoom ring is just fine? Weird.

My first suggestion might seem counter-intuitive, but it could work. That's to try putting something on to "feed" the surface of the rubber, because something is causing it to break down. I'd try something like Armor-All, and applying to a section with a Q-Tip. I've done this with the above scenerio and it's made an old, old Sigma look new, and stopped the white from appearing.

The second is quite a bit scarier - and I have no idea how you would go about applying it - but this is something I'd do if it weren't a lens. That's to try some plain talcum powder. The problem is, I don't see how you could possibly not get it into the workings of the lens. Perhaps again a small paint brush for hobby purposes (not a $120 red sable watercolor brush) could do the trick.

The best solution would be to contact Canon, I bet they'd put a new one on for not a lot of money - especially if the lens isn't particularly old.

Ah - I see you (de)solved it? Good - hope it lasts. You might still try the armor all at some point to help seal it.

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

Gochugogi wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions Jerry! You're a practical guy and those are great if you actually need to immediately use the lens. It's a mint lens other than the sticky rubberized paint on the MF ring.

I managed to clean it off with a mild solvent, i.e., rubbing alcohol. Dap a little on a cotton rag and wipe. It took me 3 or 4 clean/dry cycles and now it's perfect. The alcohol dissolved the thin layer of paint (rag turned black) and what's left is the plain ribbed plastic ring. Looks the same (black) but is no longer sticky.

The main thing
...Show more

Peter, thanks, another trick to help my older kit lenses, easy and straight forward

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

I would just call Canon, buy a part from them and replace it yourself. Those rubber bands just pull back and off the lens. There is nothing complicated about it!

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

Invertalon wrote:
I would just call Canon, buy a part from them and replace it yourself. Those rubber bands just pull back and off the lens. There is nothing complicated about it!

As above written, I fixed it. Sticky no more and looks and feels like new.

I guess you have no experience with the 17-55 or you'd know the MF ring is a hard plastic ring. There is no love glove to "pull back." Or perhaps you confused the MF ring with the zoom ring? Peon zoom/MF rings are reversed from L zooms. Nevertheless the 17-55 zoom ring sports a big honkin' love glove and can be peeled on and off until the cows come home. Despite "nuttin' complicated about it," it would be nonsensical to toil with replacement since it's cherry.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:30 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Clean Sticky MF ring on 17-55 IS?

Your right, I was thinking the zoom ring!

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:42 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password