New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Bob

kwoodard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bob

D7000 with new to me Nikkor 55mm f/1.2. Converted to B/W in Lightroom 5.2. C&C appreciated. (I already know I missed focus a tad, this was I think the 4th shot I took with it)

I am new to shooting portraits and headshots, so any thoughts on lighting or composition would be appreciated as well. This was lit by two CFL's in a lamp similar to a softbox. The light was very warm.

Bob by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bob

Yes, focus is important and it's missing here. Given you were taking first shots with a f1.2 lens, I expect you had it set on f1.2! DoF is very shallow, of course.

Notice how we see only a slice of the far ear. Usually, this in not best. Move left to hide that ear or right to show it more.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:48 AM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bob

Yeah, I saw that. His earring made it noticeable. This shot was wide open (my D7000 sometimes flickers between 1.2/1.4). I think what happened here was an old failing when focusing and recomposing, the plane of focus pushed back just a tad.

Truthfully, I still like it regardless of its issues. I posted it to see if others noticed the same issues I did and you have. There was one other issue I saw, but I think it's a taste thing.

Thanks for looking and the honest critique.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:59 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.