Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Air travel with large batttery?

jcbradshaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Air travel with large batttery?

I will be flying overseas and taking my AB Vagabond II battery pack. From a standpoint of not upsetting the TSA and others, am I better off carrying the battery with me or putting it in checked baggage?

Thanks,
Jeff

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Air travel with large batttery?

Most airlines have an info web site that tells you what you're allowed to carry in both checked luggage and in your carry-on. I often travel with tons of NiMH and Li-ion batteries in my carry-on, but they're relatively small; AA, LP-E4, LP-E6, NP-W126, and NP-95.

It's possible that you won't be allowed to bring it on the plane, at all. For example, see

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=430550&page=1

When I used to do "sea trials" with wave bouys, we'd ship the buoy(s) to a remote location by land or air, and buy the 'car' batteries for them on site. Large batteries (even 'sealed') are classified as dangerous goods for land and air shipping. Of course, these were really big batteries.

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:20 PM
halie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Air travel with large batttery?

I think you want to have Li-ion batteries as near to your person as possible in case they catch on fire. Not a good thing to have in the cargo hold. That's what brought down a brand new UPS 747. I'm not sure of the airlines' exact policies though.

Is that a lead acid battery? I believe they are considered hazmat, and would not be allowed on passenger aircraft.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:18 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Air travel with large batttery?

and remember this: what might be allowed by one TSA agent may not be allowed by another; and, what might be allowed in USA may not be allowed in the country to which you are traveling.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:57 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Air travel with large batttery?

Thanks all for the comments. I came back here to repost cause I didn't think I had heard anything. Must have failed to check the box asking for emails when posts are left.

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:00 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Air travel with large batttery?

I'm glad I asked. Singapore Airlines does NOT allow batteries this size AT ALL.

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:05 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Air travel with large batttery?

Actually, I'm stunned. The max to carry on is 150 Watt Hours. The Vagabond II is 130.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lonestardiver

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Air travel with large batttery?

Ah...but does Joe blow TSA agent understand how to calculate that ?
In many cases they are there to get a paycheck and in some cases try and inconvenience as many as they can just because they can. There have been instances where a uniformed soldier has been required to remove belt and boots even though policy state that is not to happen.

I don't trust them to follow the rules because they all seem to have their own set of rules.

Mar 16, 2014 at 02:55 PM
shworl

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Air travel with large batttery?

In my business I traveled by air 2-3 times a week for about 20 years. Early on I learned to pack batteries in my carry-on. I mistakenly left a battery operated electric razor in my checked luggage last fall, and some TSA agent pried off the compartment ruining the razor. If there is any doubt as to what TSA allows, leave it at home. This is especially true in countries where anything out of the ordinary is looked upon as contraband.

Mar 16, 2014 at 06:19 PM
lonestardiver

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Air travel with large batttery?

Good Call Shworl !

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:51 PM
halie
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Air travel with large batttery?

The chance of any TSA person understanding what restrictions apply to batteries is very small. The chances of them thinking they understand them are somewhat greater. Anyhow, it is likely that rules regarding batteries are DOT hazmat rules, as opposed to TSA, and the TSA won't have a clue what they are.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Air travel with large batttery?

halie wrote:
The chance of any TSA person understanding what restrictions apply to batteries is very small...

You might not think highly of TSA personnel, but I expect they know the "no big batteries" rule.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM
halie
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Air travel with large batttery?

They'd probably just figure out that it doesn't fit in a 1 quart clear plastic bag. That would set off alarms.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Air travel with large batttery?

halie wrote:
The chance of any TSA person understanding what restrictions apply to batteries is very small. The chances of them thinking they understand them are somewhat greater. Anyhow, it is likely that rules regarding batteries are DOT hazmat rules, as opposed to TSA, and the TSA won't have a clue what they are.

you would be surprised. they do know who to ask.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:20 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password