Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better len...

dhachey
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Richard Nye wrote:
The 24-70 f/2.8 II is a great landscape lens. It offers the convenience of a zoom with the IQ of a prime. It's also more portable than the V1 due to size and weight.

+1, If I need a wider shot I stitch 3-5 portrait images together. This lens is absolutely stunning for its sharpness, contrast and color rendering. I keep an older 24-105 lens around for backup, but rarely use it any more. I'll post an example of a stitch in a bit.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:04 PM
Shield
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

wayne_eddy wrote:
Hi all.

As you have read from the post, I have received the OK (from my loving lady) to purchase for the 24-70mm MKII and am wondering if there is there are better lenses to choose from for the price. I've been considering the f/4 model after consultation from a international pro documentary photog.

I'm essentially a landscape photog in recent years and have a few stage low light gigs a year. I've read many reviews about the 24-70mm MKII and am very impressed with its sharpness, low light ability, low distortions etc but a little concerned about the 45mm reduced range
...Show more

I haven't read any responses yet, but I recently sold the 24-70 II 2.8 and picked up the 24-70 F/4 IS.
Why? Well 2.8 especially at standard zoom lengths didn't give me that wow factor like the 35/2, 50/1.2 or esp the 85 1.2 L did (sometimes at 70mm it does). 2.8 isn't exactly a low light beast, and it's still too shallow IMO for video work. So it's right in between for me. If it had IS I'd have kept it. Yep, it's very sharp, but no IS, expensive and heavy - I found myself using either the 24 2.8 IS or 35/2 IS much more often. It's a very nice heavy well made chunk of a lens, but if I want the shallow DOF creamy stuff I'd find something else, and if I shoot video I stop down to F/5.6 so in my case it wasn't needed.

The 24-70 F/4 is a hell of a lens. Much rather have that + the 35/2 IS and keep $500 in my bank. Others will disagree. If you're a wedding shooter I'd get it; otherwise there's better options.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:57 PM
Shield
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

chez wrote:
I'll give you an alternative to chew on. Since your main focus is landscapes and you have a crop camera, .

He said he "has a 5dIII nowadays".

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:02 PM
Shield
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Here's a question - why not pick up a very nice UW lens for landscapes? I wholeheartedly recommend the Tokina 16-28 2.8 - it's $699 new and really sharp. Can't use screw on filters, but with the $$ you save I'm sure you can figure out a solution.

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:04 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

I've been thinking about getting a 24-70 f/2.8L ll, but maybe it's GAS.
I have a 24-105 that serves me well, and used to have a 28-70 f/2.8L that didn't get much use even though it was a great copy.

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:04 PM
wayne_eddy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Thanks for your input all, it's very encouraging.

I have been researching the 27-70 f/2.8 vs the f/4 versions and each has strong merrits, particularly the IS of the latter which can be useful for the occasional stage work I do.

IS is less important for landscape as my gear is always going to be on the tripod anyway. I want the sharpest lens for the dollars and a lens that does a reasonable focal range. The 24-105 IS has a great range and I will likely keep it in my cupboard for a bit longer at least for the IS it has as well.

I'll likely be selling off three lenses and the 7D that have not been used in the last 12 mo to fund the new lens and maybe a Cintiq as well.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:58 PM
ruipeixoto

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

the 24-70LII is a fantastic lens. Only "issue" is that it doesn't open to 1.4. But the contrast and colors are really really good. Makes people/skin tones look great.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

wayne_eddy wrote:
... particularly the IS of the latter which can be useful for the occasional stage work I do.

I use a monopod with my 24-70/2.8L II and 200/1.8L...

(handheld for the 70-200/2.8L IS II)

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:26 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Go for it! The 24-70L II gives you prime quality on every focal length.
I sold my 24mm F1.4 version II because images quality from this lens is so goooooood.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tx_pilot

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Jump onto YouTube and take a look at SLR Lounge's "The Canon Lens Wars" videos... It was a pretty interesting series to watch about the Canon lenses.

Here is the link to the series:
http://www.slrlounge.com/tutorials/lens-wars

Here is the direct link to the intro video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwDlRLaGvY

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:49 AM
roberto1979
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Unfortunately, the V2 is just that good. I say unfortunately because of the price. I bought the Tamron 24-70, and the Sigma 24-105 hoping I could save some bucks. I had borrowed a friend's V2 though, so I knew just how sharp it is. I returned both lenses, and I know that in the long run I made the right decision.

Mar 07, 2014 at 05:37 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

I was a "omg I love my 24+50 combo" guy for a long time.. Sold both as well as my beloved Zeiss 21 & couldn't be happier

The 24-70mkII can do 95% of anything you'd ever need that focal length to do, and it does all of it exceptionally well.

When I first started shooting, (not thaaat long ago relative to most members on this board), I heard from everyone that Canon's "advantage" was their "holy trinity" of primes (usually 35/85/135). You don't really see that term being thrown around in forums nearly as much anymore - Canon's exceptional mkII 2.8 zoom lenses, mkII super telephotos & the 5d3/1dx have really changed the landscape for Canon shooters. I often think "lucky me" when I'm around older colleagues who often extoll on their experiences of shooting 20-30 years professionally for publications..

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:02 AM
ardvorak
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

I'm loving my 24-70II. It took me a few tries to get a non-clicking copy, but with the effort!

If you don't need the f/2.8, the 24-70 f/4L IS I believe can be had at Adorama at the moment for $799 after rebate.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:28 PM
wayne_eddy
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

ardvorak wrote:
I'm loving my 24-70II. It took me a few tries to get a non-clicking copy, but with the effort!

If you don't need the f/2.8, the 24-70 f/4L IS I believe can be had at Adorama at the moment for $799 after rebate.

Can you advise on what is a clicky copy?

I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:12 PM
ardvorak
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

No problem. Basically, you hear the clicking of internal mechanisms when zooming, predominantly when zooming out from 70 to 24mm. The issue has been seen in varying degrees, and there's been some discussion as to whether or not it's really a problem (is it wearing internal components or not?) for those who aren't using the lens for video (where it may presumably be an issue because you could hear the clicking in the video). It's well-documented here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15231.45

I think the newer batches have been cleaned up in regards to QC. I returned two due to the clicking and they were from batches starting 032 and 062, I believe. The successful non-clicker is a 082 batch number.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:24 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

When it comes to any lens choice, at the end you have to ask yourself how much you would benefit from it compared to their alternatives and how does it affect your overall budget? I have no idea the level of work you produce so I personally can't give my opinion if it's worth it for you or not.

When one has to keep a budget in mind, IMO certain gear is for the most part cost beneficial depending on the photographer and it's usage. Unfortunately perception can cloud judgement at times.

Mar 07, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Max10
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

ardvorak wrote:
No problem. Basically, you hear the clicking of internal mechanisms when zooming, predominantly when zooming out from 70 to 24mm. The issue has been seen in varying degrees, and there's been some discussion as to whether or not it's really a problem (is it wearing internal components or not?) for those who aren't using the lens for video (where it may presumably be an issue because you could hear the clicking in the video). It's well-documented here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15231.45

I think the newer batches have been cleaned up in regards to QC. I returned two due to the clicking and they were from
...Show more

I have checked mine just now. It has that rattling noise (011 starting batch number).

Thanks for Canon's Quality department for the Rattling Noise, and Marketing department for the Pricing.

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password