Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better len...

wayne_eddy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Hi all.

As you have read from the post, I have received the OK (from my loving lady) to purchase for the 24-70mm MKII and am wondering if there is there are better lenses to choose from for the price. I've been considering the f/4 model after consultation from a international pro documentary photog.

I'm essentially a landscape photog in recent years and have a few stage low light gigs a year. I've read many reviews about the 24-70mm MKII and am very impressed with its sharpness, low light ability, low distortions etc but a little concerned about the 45mm reduced range over my current 24-105mm f/4 stock lens.

Anyway, I'm after the best lens for the money and some choices too. I've considered the Zeiss 17 and 24's, and may pick them up too, however feel they may not offer a lot more than the 24-70mm mkII which is an excellent lens and a zoom which I do tend to favour.

I'd like to add that I have a 5DMkiii nowadays

Sways, thoughts, opinions appreciated.

Edited on Mar 05, 2014 at 10:29 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:27 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

The 24-70 MkII is the top of the line

Now if you are talking primes then there are others, for example 24mm TSE-II

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:30 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

The "received wisdom" from the "Masters of FM" generally claims that no zoom can achieve the same quality as a well-crafted prime. It's difficult to evaluate this assertion as it is made by so many folks working in such a diversity of disciplines and conditions. By all reports the new 24-70 is a truly excellent lens. I have the previous version and it has served my well for some time. Having said that I also have a 35mm f/1.4, the 24mm f/3.5 II TSE, the 65mm MP-E and the lowly but superb 85mm f/1.8.

I find that my need for/and use of primes and zooms do not really overlap. In other words having primes and zooms in the same range - for me - is not redundant. Outside sport, wildlife, and some landscape is the province of the zooms. I also do virtually all of my reporting photography with the 24-70. Indoor sport, landscape, macro, shooting in dark conditions, ultra wide angle, I generally use a prime. So basically zooms give immense flexibility whereas primes provide special functions, much wider apertures, and often crisper images. If you need a fast lens then you have to go prime. I can't even imagine what say an f/2.0 24-70 would weight

If you don't have any primes in the range then I'd go for the 24-70 and make sure you take your lady out to dinner some place very nice.

Robert

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:31 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Take a look at the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC. There are lots of reviews comparing the Tamron and Canon. The Canon has slightly better IQ but is more expensive and does not have IS. The Tamron has IS and is a lot cheaper. I have this lens and love it.

See the excerpt from the review below.

The Final Word

Overall, we're extremely impressed with the Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC. It demonstrates that it's entirely possible to add an effective image stabilization system to a lens of this type without a significant drop in quality elsewhere. The optics are excellent, the autofocus fast, silent and accurate, and the build quality very good indeed.

Overall the Tamron comes so close to the much more expensive non-stabilized Canon and Nikon lenses, both optically and operationally, that it's difficult to see why most enthusiast photographers might choose to buy them instead. That's not to say that there aren't any differences - the Tamron's not quite so quick at focusing, and chances are it's not as well weathersealed - but quite simply it offers much better value for your money.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron-24-70mm-2p8-vc-usd/6

Edited on Mar 05, 2014 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:39 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

OntheRez wrote:
The "received wisdom" from the "Masters of FM" generally claims that no zoom can achieve the same quality as a well-crafted prime.

The 24-70 V2 breaks that rule. It's as sharp at f2.8 as it is at f7.1. That's unheard of. Focus accuracy is incredible and better than any other lens I own. It's not quite as sharp at the long end, but at the wide end it's bitingly sharp.

Basically, that was true a few years ago, but it's not really true now.

Of course primes might get better again and take over, but for now I don't own any lenses - prime or not - which are sharper and more accurate than the 24-70.

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:52 PM
mogud
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Jeremy,

I gather from your response that you like this lens. I agree it's a great lens.

BTW, you do very nice work.

View previous versions

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:54 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
The 24-70 V2 breaks that rule. It's as sharp at f2.8 as it is at f7.1. That's unheard of. Focus accuracy is incredible and better than any other lens I own. It's not quite as sharp at the long end, but at the wide end it's bitingly sharp.

Basically, that was true a few years ago, but it's not really true now.

Of course primes might get better again and take over, but for now I don't own any lenses - prime or not - which are sharper and more accurate than the 24-70.

Phil,
I keep reading that and wonder if the $1k+ USD difference between my used 24-70 and V2 is justifiable. There's no doubt that the focal range is wonderfully flexible. I take it that your statement is based upon your use of V2 vs your primes?

Robert

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:55 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

OntheRez wrote:
Phil,
I keep reading that and wonder if the $1k+ USD difference between my used 24-70 and V2 is justifiable. There's no doubt that the focal range is wonderfully flexible. I take it that your statement is based upon your use of V2 vs your primes?

Robert

It isn't even close. I shot my 24-70L for 4 years, and the upgrade is night and day. I would even swear on it, if it was allowed.

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:09 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

OntheRez wrote:
Phil,

Robert

Indeed.

I had a 24-70 V1. Now I know mine wasn't a great copy, but the V2 is out of this world compared to it. It's not just the sharpness though, but the focus accuracy, quality of rendering and so on. I have owned or currently own: 35L, 50L, 100L, 135L, Sigma 35mm art so I've seen a lot of primes too..

I suspect new primes might overtake it again, but currently it's exceptional IMO.

Note though that once you get to f5.6 things get much harder to see the difference between.

(I test all of my lenses in FoCal so know them well)

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

The 24-70/2.8L II will work very well with your 70-200/2.8L, to more than cover the range of your 24-105/4L IS.

I don't know which "Zeiss 17 and 24's" you're talking about. Zeiss has ZE and Contax CY versions at 15mm, 18mm, 21mm, and 25mm. I have the Canon TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II, plus the Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE. I used to have the Zeiss 21/2.8 ZE too, but sold it after getting the TS-E 17mm and 24mm II lenses.

The TS-E 17/4L, EF 16-35/2.8L II, and ZE 18/3.5 are all worth considering for ultra-wide applications, see http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1267345

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

The 24-70 f/2.8 II is a great landscape lens. It offers the convenience of a zoom with the IQ of a prime. It's also more portable than the V1 due to size and weight.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:54 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

OntheRez wrote:
The "received wisdom" from the "Masters of FM" generally claims that no zoom can achieve the same quality as a well-crafted prime.

Robert

Nikon's 14-24 broke that rule long ago.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:58 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

I too was hesitant to drop the cash for this lens, but it is sharper than many of my primes. Unless you absolutely need image stabilization, it is the tops in class, including IQ and AF (something that was very important to me - too many troubles with slower or inconsistent AF with non-OEM).

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:51 PM
Max10
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

EF 24-70 f/2.8 II is a very good lens. However, you should read reviews about Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC also.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:14 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

I'll give you an alternative to chew on. Since your main focus is landscapes and you have a crop camera, I really don't think you'll see any differences in prints from a 24-70 V1 versus the V2 when shot stopped down.
What I would do is get yourself the V1 24-70 for under $1,000 used and with the price difference, pick up a nice used 5d2. The 5d2 will provide better landscape images and it's better high ISO compared to the 7d coupled with the 24-70, you'll be better covered for your occasional stage shot. So in short, you will get better landscape images and in my opinion, better stage shots with the 5d2.

I could see getting the new 24-70 lens if your main focus was stage performances, but it is not.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:15 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Sold my v1 for $1200 and bought the v2 for $1700. That to me was a fair upgrade cost for prime like IQ and very fast AF. I was a little hesitant about the plastic build but it feels quite solid. The hood is pretty flimsy though but not a huge deal.

As others have said it's a terrific combo with the 70-200 IS II.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

OntheRez wrote:

Robert

runamuck wrote:
Nikon's 14-24 broke that rule long ago.

Preceeded by the Contax Carl Zeiss 35-70/3.4, of course.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:57 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

Go for it! The 24-70L II gives you prime quality on every focal length.

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:01 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

I think I'm sold on 24-70 2.8 v2... especially after reading this thread.. I've been missing low focal length and now it's time to pick one up. from B&S board of course

/r
Andy

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:00 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Got the OK for the 24-70mm MKII - is there are better lens for the price

I traded my 24 70 VC plus cash for mine and haven't had one regret. Coupled with a 70 20 II you have an awesome pair.

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password