Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

Having not seen this posted, this being a gear forum, I found an interesting set of articles/videos after listening to a fav podcast. SLR Lounge is comparing primes, then zooms, followed by a conclusion, at standard focal lengths. They've laid out their methodology and it looks pretty cool, interesting; the link below is to the 'Lens Wars' intro, Episode 0. So far they've covered 17mm through 200mm, the last posted Episode is no 19, it starts their 300mm section.

A recent member posted a question about the EF 50 f1.4 vs.the 50 f1.8, thought I'd post a new topic so the info wouldn't get buried...hope it's helpful...cheers, Jerry

THE CANON LENS WARS SERIES BY SLR LOUNGE – EPISODE 0
http://www.slrlounge.com/school/canon-lens-wars-introduction

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

Cheers.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:48 AM
slrlounge

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

Thank you for sharing our article series! We appreciate it.

Mar 18, 2014 at 02:57 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

WOW ! Impressive load of work there ! Really interesting, will read it later for sure and share it also. Nice to see such amazing datas on exact same body, developed identically. Purely lensewise thinking ;-) Congrats !

Mar 18, 2014 at 03:48 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

Thanks for the link. And next we test those lenses all on the Sony A7R and see how those lenses can really shine with a great high resolution/high DR FF sensor. At least I can clearly see the difference with my lenses. Get the best optics and the best electronics/sensor performance. That's the key.

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

And next One-Note-Johnny sings.

Oh, wait, ... that already happened.

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

Thanks Jerry!

I just finished the 50mm section of primes and zooms. My take-away is to be happy and validated for my personal gear choices.

But my past experience runs contrary to Pye's regarding the 50/1.8 and 50/1.4. My 50/1.4 was far better than my 1.8. Sample variation is not addressed in this series, and it would seem for best results that a series of each lens be tested to find the best sample. I'm sure that would be hugely impractical with so many lenses involved, so I'm satisfied for what they have provided, while keeping in mind the sample variations issue.

I'm very glad to get independent consideration for the features I find extremely valuable on the 50/1.2L, not the least of which is the excellent focusing in both manual and AF -- the big weakness in the 1.8 (too few steps and poor motor). Great to have its bokeh, color and sharpness all validated, answering the often asked question of, "Why is it so expensive?"

Anyhow, I'm on the next . . .

Mar 18, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Dark Slider
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

Gunzorro wrote:
But my past experience runs contrary to Pye's regarding the 50/1.8 and 50/1.4. My 50/1.4 was far better than my 1.8.

My 1.4 is far, far better than either of my 1.8s. The 1.4 looks front-focused to me in the test.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

I've gotten through most of the 100mm lenses now (not the conclusion, but that's easy to see a mile away!), and I'm convinced he's got a poorly MFA'ed 24-105 IS on his hands (or in need of a Canon tune-up). Mine is far better than what he's showing at 70, 85 and 100. I have no complaints, although he calls it the red-headed step-child of the bunch, starting at 24mm on up.

I wish the 17 TSE, 24 TSE and new 24 IS had been included in their respective categories, as well as the 50/2.5 Compact Macro. Also he mentions the old 35/2 as the equal of the new 35 IS, without including it -- it's nowhere near as good as the new IS model, and certainly not in competition with the 35L!

Still, it's interesting, and I overall agree with his top choices in each category. . . so far.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:43 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

Thank you for the link!

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

Yes, a shame about sample variations so important now days.
for example, my 17-40/4L is tack sharp at 17@4, in a total different league that what I see on this lens war. Really not the same lens at all.

Anyway this confirm 24/70II and 70/200II amazing performances.
I would think the 200/2L would be far superior to cheap 200/2.8, and it isn't ...

Now I want a 85/1.2L !! :/

Mar 20, 2014 at 07:39 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

KiboOst wrote:
Yes, a shame about sample variations so important now days.
for example, my 17-40/4L is tack sharp at 17@4, in a total different league that what I see on this lens war. Really not the same lens at all.

Anyway this confirm 24/70II and 70/200II amazing performances.
I would think the 200/2L would be far superior to cheap 200/2.8, and it isn't ...

Now I want a 85/1.2L !! :/

Regarding the 200/2 vs. the 70-200/2.8L II: You really need to look closer at the details and you'll see some front focusing going on with the chopped off branches of the tree trunk in the lower right of the frame, where one is sharp in front of the model and the other is blurry. Other details point out the improperly adjusted focusing between these two lenses. I still see the 200/2 as the winner, especially after seeing so many shots taken by Lisa Holloway with the 200 over in the People forum.

But, quibbling aside, Pye confirms the common knowledge that the new 24-70II and 70-200II are the best general range zooms Canon has in its line up (or ever produced!).

I like how he stresses throughout the series that many times convenience plays a strong role in lens selection over absolute IQ. This is the choice I've made with the 28-300L (mine seems slightly better than the sample he has) as my general "one lens solution", and combined with the 16-35L II, I had a "16-300mm solution" rather than a 24-200. I augment that with excellent primes such as the 24 TSE, 35IS, 50L and 100L macro.

For a lightweight "one lens solution", I have to stick up for the little red-headed step-child he keeps bashing -- the 24-105L IS. Mine is a great copy, much better than his sample, and sharper than my original 24-70L. It's very convenient when paired with a simple 5D2 body. It's certainly not as good as the new 24-70L II, but good enough until, if and when, I get the new one.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

I'll also stick up for the 24-105L. I've never figured out why it gets such a bashing.

Sure, it's no 24-70L II with regard to IQ, but that's okay - it's good enough at 90% of the stuff I do (probably most people as well), and for a one lens setup it works like a champ. I'll often supplement it with my 35L/135L, or 24-70L I.

My only guess is that it's the so-called "kit lens" for the 5D/6D camera, and people associate "kit lens" with "crap".

He completely left out the 135L from the bokeh video, which was disappointing.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

erikburd wrote:
I'll also stick up for the 24-105L. I've never figured out why it gets such a bashing.

It hasn't always been that way - my distinct recollection is that when 24-105 first came out and cost the same as 24-70, people would not stop arguing which was the better lens, and it would pretty much end with a draw. Same story with 70-200/4 and 70-300/IS - when both cost around $500 they were generally considered to be in the same league.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SLR Lounge, Lens Wars, Canon Primes and Zooms Compared...

I wish all my shooting was like theirs, - well-lit static outdoor scenes where autofocus speed and precision are irrelevant.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.