Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

So much casual sexism on photography forums

Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

teddoman wrote:
... we all need help pointing out our own blind spots.

This is the deepest thing anyone has said in this thread so far.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

P.S. "jumping in and defending" is an accurate reflection of the "jumper's" intent, but the actual best-process is to report the offending post to Fred. If he agrees that it's out of bounds, then it is gone, and so are the "jumping in and defending" posts related to the offending post.

For example, two days ago, myself and others reported an obscene post (from a first-time poster, no less). A few hours later (it was posted on east coast time), it was gone, and so were the three or four 'outraged' replies from myself and like-minded FM'ers.

The fewer you see, the better. If you do see one, then report it.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:51 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Chrissearle wrote:
I dunno, maybe its just me, but I do find myself getting irritated at the ' I'm thinking of upgrading the wife's camera' ( she, presumably has no inputs apart from, maybe 'I'd like a pink one'). And the tacit assumption that , hey, we're all 'guys' ( in the , erm, masculine sense) - I am aware that, particularly in the US, the term 'guys' can for some inexplicable reason, cover all genders. I have got to say , amongst my friends there are an equal number, no, hang on there are more female photographers than male and, frankly,
...Show more

You also see "I am thinking of getting my son or daughter a camera. My friend is wanting my assistance on a new camera, etc. I've seen one gentleman who's wife was the photographer want to get her a Christmas present of new gear with no idea what to get her, ask for help. IMHO you see more of the I'm getting a present for the wife because WE ARE the minority. The real question should be Why are there so few women? I too know more women photographers than men, and I've shared information about this site. None have bothered to join. You can't blame the men for this, women are free to join and participate. You do, I do.
I don't feel like it's a "we're all guys." type attitude, I feel it's more like "We're all into photography's". type attitude. Canon made a pink camera, and many commented on it including me. So to me really none of your examples are examples of sexism. My company required a class on sexism once a year so I'm very aware of what is considered sexist and I've seen a comment once or twice over the years that may qualify but so rare that I would hardly let it irritate me or even bother me. The vast majority that frequent the areas I frequent on here are just knowledgeable people willing to assist or just wanting to interact with others who share their interest.

Mar 07, 2014 at 07:27 AM
teddoman
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I'd just like to add that I am a big fan of girls / women who have very specialized interests and skills like photography, always have been. We need more of them in the forums!

I wonder if certain people are more inclined to participate in online forums than others. Or perhaps it's just a matter of exposure. Once you've done it, then you "get" it. But many people have never tried.

Since we're on the topic of sexism and photography, there's an initiative at Getty to change portrayals of women in stock photography. Photographers can make a difference with their photos too.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/business/leaninorg-and-getty-aim-to-change-womens-portrayal-in-stock-photos.html?_r=0

Mar 07, 2014 at 01:34 PM
john saunders

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I'm a man, and I have certainly seen a lot of internet-based sexism, usually emphasizing a poster's gender as part of an insult or rebuttal, or some sort of generalization on how women think/are/react/etc. For what it's worth, I think the OP's concerns are valid.

Mar 07, 2014 at 04:07 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

… When attempting to impose guilt by association, … by gender … by geographic location … by history … you need to have an audience that is receptive to the argument … “guilt”.

To have the “expected” results … that of inner soul searching … those that are addressed need to “non-selectively” look to their inner soul … their conscience … a Pavlovian response is required.

(Note: Some seem to live for guilt … some seem to live to be offended … not including those individuals here …I see that population as “catalysts”)

In my case … in my younger years … I went to the “well” way too often … as a result, I still have a conscience … although I’m not on very good terms nor have we spoken for several years now … use is reserved for decisions that actually would have some effect on my life … and those that have earned my respect … not necessarily “like” , but have my respect, and this respect may be extended to non-human entities on occasion.

When you post your dirty laundry on an open forum … you got to expect a few birds to fly over … and we know how that usually works out …

IMHO …
Jefferson

… and now … some “birds” …

http://safeshare.tv/w/GnFzeOCVZF

Mar 07, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

john saunders wrote:
I'm a man, and I have certainly seen a lot of internet-based sexism...

Compared to the homophobia? Or what about the brown nosing of longstanding members by their gimps, or bullying cliques cornering someone who makes a mistake?

It's a weird place - people can fight vehemently while in reality they are simply splitting hairs.

Mar 08, 2014 at 12:26 AM
john saunders

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Paul Mo wrote:
Compared to the homophobia? Or what about the brown nosing of longstanding members by their gimps, or bullying cliques cornering someone who makes a mistake?

It's a weird place - people can fight vehemently while in reality they are simply splitting hairs.

Not sure what the question is -- but, yeah, there's an awful lot of casual homophobia and racism, too, often couched in humour or general observations. I haven't seen bullying here, but then again, this site is generally less charged than others. People tend to be respectful of differences or at least keep the focus on the forum topic. But I have seen generalizations about women photographers, hiding purchases from wives, etc. which could certainly be off-putting, as per the OP

Mar 08, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Jim8EL
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

So this..."don't get me started on the 'how can I hide the cost of this purchase from my wife/girlfriend posts. If you are lying or even deliberately misleading your partner on something like this then I fear you have an extremely sad relationship who's long term viability is questionable. I'd think about spending more time with a relationship councillor than with your beloved cameras."..is sexist?

Give me a break. It may be weak, cowardly, sneaky, or even necessary, but it's certainly not sexist. Some people just have to find a way to be offended no matter what.

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:06 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Some people just have to find a way to be offended no matter what.

Yep. Just like I said. OP looking to incite = troll.

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kathy White
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

john saunders wrote:
I'm a man, and I have certainly seen a lot of internet-based sexism, usually emphasizing a poster's gender as part of an insult or rebuttal, or some sort of generalization on how women think/are/react/etc. For what it's worth, I think the OP's concerns are valid.

Can you please post links to these. I'd like to see them and I am not being catty. I sincerely have not seen this. If it is on here that much I'd like to be aware of it.

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:59 AM
shelbystripes

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I've seen plenty of mysoginistic sexism on the Internet, it kind of gets rampant in some places, but it's really about the community that develops. In some places it's tolerated and even tacitly endorsed, and in other places it's not.
I'm kind of new but I haven't seen any evidence of it here yet. What happens elsewhere on the Internet doesn't necessarily happen here.

Maybe linking to some specific examples would help? Something that exemplifies the actual concern?

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

shelbystripes wrote:
...Maybe linking to some specific examples would help? Something that exemplifies the actual concern?

Most of them are deleted by Fred Miranda, soon after being reported.

Mar 08, 2014 at 12:12 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

shelbystripes wrote:
I've seen plenty of mysoginistic sexism on the Internet

Doubtful, but you may have seen plenty of misogynistic ones.

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:18 PM
shelbystripes

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

jcolwell wrote:
Most of them are deleted by Fred Miranda, soon after being reported.

I guess that would be why I missed them.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:43 PM
ergosyn

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I feel like there is more vitriol aimed at newbie photographers on forums than any other group.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

My wife hangs out on a bunch of girly forums and much of what I read over her shoulder would raise an eyebrow were I to bother caring. Oh and apparently it's not just men hiding stuff from their wives, like really really not. In any case I'll happily ignore men getting all hot about sexism. Wait to see how the ladies perceive it, that to me is the only reaction worth bothering with. The PC world is far too awash, if not completely led, by the non affected patronisingly telling the 'under dog' that they are being offended by X whether they are or not.

Mar 11, 2014 at 07:45 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Beni wrote:
My wife hangs out on a bunch of girly forums and much of what I read over her shoulder would raise an eyebrow were I to bother caring.

Yep, that's often forgotten.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I think the OP is totally over sensative. She is just expressing her feelings, but I don't think she is a"troll"

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

There is enough blatant sexism here too.

EBH

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:01 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password