Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

So much casual sexism on photography forums

Chrissearle
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I dunno, maybe its just me, but I do find myself getting irritated at the ' I'm thinking of upgrading the wife's camera' ( she, presumably has no inputs apart from, maybe 'I'd like a pink one'). And the tacit assumption that , hey, we're all 'guys' ( in the , erm, masculine sense) - I am aware that, particularly in the US, the term 'guys' can for some inexplicable reason, cover all genders. I have got to say , amongst my friends there are an equal number, no, hang on there are more female photographers than male and, frankly, they know as much about the nuts and bolts of modern photography as the men do, so why this constant patronising, male - centric approach on the forums?
And don't get me started on the 'how can I hide the cost of this purchase from my wife/girlfriend posts. If you are lying or even deliberately misleading your partner on something like this then I fear you have an extremely sad relationship who's long term viability is questionable. I'd think about spending more time with a relationship councillor than with your beloved cameras.
In 'the west' casual unthinking sexism is thankfully dying out along with other stupidities like racism and homophobia so it's kind of sad to find that, the world of photography it still hangs on...

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:13 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

It just so happens there are more males than females on the forums.

But I don't think any of the better photographers here crap on their females equals. I mean, I've seen nothing but praise for Lisa Holloway's photos, and I know for sure she edits tons better than I do.

And about the equipment... certain equipment purchases here are as much as engagement rings and cars, if not more. I think most of us who joke about hiding it from the gf/wife say so jokingly. We're only not joking if it's a girl we want to marry who we haven't bought a ring for yet because we're eyeing a 200/2, 300/2.8, Leica 50/0.95, Otus 55/1.4, etc.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:55 AM
halie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I'll take a wild guess at it...maybe the guys thinking about upgrading the wife's camera actually have wives that don't know as much about nuts and bolts as your friends do. Just a crazy thought, I dunno. Anyway, I'm sure all the guys will be thankful for the free relationship analysis.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:10 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Chrissearle wrote:
I dunno, maybe its just me, but I do find myself getting irritated at the ' I'm thinking of upgrading the wife's camera' ( she, presumably has no inputs apart from, maybe 'I'd like a pink one').

I just pass over these posts (here and elsewhere), but, not having read them, here's a guess: the poster wants some validation that it will be possible to hand down his present camera so he can buy a brand new one himself. He won't get that from me.

And the tacit assumption that , hey, we're all 'guys' ( in the , erm, masculine sense) - I have got to say , amongst my friends there are an equal number, no, hang on there are more female photographers than male and, frankly, they know as much about the nuts and bolts of modern photography as the men do, so why this constant patronising, male - centric approach on the forums?

There are plenty of female photographers here in Australia, too, and they win competitions. But you can't assume a correlation with participation in forums, which I suspect is male-dominated. I also notice that the pests who bowl up to me and tell me I have a "nice camera" (as if I didn't know) are almost invariably male. The ladies want to talk about what we're shooting.

I am aware that, particularly in the US, the term 'guys' can for some inexplicable reason, cover all genders.

"Guys" is definitely gender-neutral in Australian English.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:34 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Guess I'm going to hell, then. Few off hand remarks last week buying a 28 f1.8G
for the "Mrs." Now I'm picking up a D5100 for her so I'll get my D7K back. Is she
capable of choosing her own gear, probably...but finds her time better spent on
spoiling the grandkids. I've been happily married 31 yrs, how you doin' OP

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:47 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Or for cryin' out loud Cut me a freakin' break , OP. You must have had a lotta spare time on your hands at 1213AM What happened? You got thrown out of bed? :

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

trenchmonkey wrote:
... I've been happily married 31 yrs, how you doin' ...

We're hitting 33 years, in June.

Thirty-three is a nice number; symmetrical, friendly. We won't get to the next prime number anniversary until 2018.

trenchmonkey wrote:
Guess I'm going to hell, then.

We've seen that coming since you switched to the dark side.

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

melcat wrote:
"Guys" is definitely gender-neutral in Australian English.

Canada, too.

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:04 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

You should come to the Leica thread, nothing but gentleman there...

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:14 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

We can now in the US resort to the label of "Ze" That "word" allows us all to be as gender neutral as possible thereby raising 'politically correct' to a new level of insipidity

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

KatieInTexas wrote:
You should come to the Leica thread, nothing but gentleman there...

Alt forum in general is particularly free of the sexist garbage.

I am not offended about the 'what camera for wife/girlfriend/husband'. However, over the years on FM there have been a few pretty horrid sexist comments made, bad stuff like Z****** made about throwing acid on someone's wife because she dropped his camera. I really admire the few guys (I believe Steve Spencer was one) who jumped in the middle of it and stood up against comments like that.

And I hope all of you guys - Anthony, Will, Jim - will stand up against that kind of garbage when it does rear it's ugly head. It does mean something to those of us who have been stomped on a few times in life.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:09 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Sexist Rant Rebuttal ...

Mattress ad runs with guy in pink pajamas playing with kittens in bed while … presumably … his wife working with a tablet on something obviously requiring a higher skill level than the “guy” can … rise to. The “dumb man … smart woman” mentality so prevalent in today’s programming … which is exactly what it is ….
… just one of many …. In my opinion … culture changing presentations of the predominant role of the female and reduction of the role of male to that of a household pet at best, … and introducing this cultural role reversal as the norm into everyday life through television programming … by those, maybe in their twenties to say mid-thirties … who grew up during this culture shift, … are now overseeing the production of shows … ads … and the general content of today’s media .

So I think what you may be observing is a natural “kickback” … You can’t change a man’s chemistry through social engineering. You only generate pent up resentment and hostility … I don’t think the context is intended as a conscience attempt to demean women, but a sub conscience reaction to attempts to minimize the male’s role in today’s society … much like “political correctness” .

Jefferson …
B.S. Degree in Sociopathic Relations (Wal-Mart) … Marriage Counseling Services as a hobby …

Edit was to add sexist photo ...

Edited on Mar 05, 2014 at 06:41 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:56 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I see the OP as a troll inciting behavior and responses that weren't there to begin with. I don't see any of the sexist garbage that he/she claims to see. If a man wants to buy his wife (or vice-versa for that matter) a camera and asks for advice, what's the harm in that? Reading sexism, racism or any ism into people's requests for advice is what's wrong with the world. PC (political correctness) is killing common sense and turning gender into something bad or wrong. Even staunch feminists agree with that.

And I know my wife of 33 years (this year) and two grown and married daughters WOULD want a pink camera and my oldest actually has one. So there.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:01 PM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Threads like this are the reason I make sure I don't have wifi in the kitchen, and my wife can't read them.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:28 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I agree, all 5 of those posts I've seen in the past year... shame on them.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:46 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

I'd shoot with a pink D4 and lens if offered the opportunity.

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

mco_970 wrote:
...And I hope all of you guys - Anthony, Will, Jim - will stand up against that kind of garbage when it does rear it's ugly head. It does mean something to those of us who have been stomped on a few times in life.

Hi Michelle,

If I don't jump in, it's only because I haven't seen it. Let me know if anything comes up. I'll be there.

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Michelle,

If I don't jump in, it's only because I haven't seen it. Let me know if anything comes up. I'll be there.

Me too

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:53 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

MazeRunner wrote:
But I don't think any of the better photographers here crap on their females equals. I mean, I've seen nothing but praise for Lisa Holloway's photos, and I know for sure she edits tons better than I do.

IIRC, Lisa got pretty horrendously and unfairly attacked by someone last year on the forum. I don't remember what the reason for it was, other than whoever did it had appalling manners. (also IIRC, FM'ers did a good job of taking care of one of their own there)

Just sayin', it does happen around here and if you haven't seen it, there is a great FM moderator to thank for his efforts in removing the riffraff.

ps. someone reminded me where Lisa's thread was, I re-read it and none other than Anthony jumped in the middle of that one - so thank you Anthony. I knew you were one of the good guys.

Edited on Mar 06, 2014 at 12:13 AM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:09 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · So much casual sexism on photography forums

Chrissearle wrote:
I am aware that, particularly in the US, the term 'guys' can for some inexplicable reason, cover all genders.

I would point out that Serge Ramelli (who is French) introduces almost all his Lightroom videos by saying "hello guys."

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:17 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password