Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

300mm f/2.8L II focus ring question for those who own or ...

Invertalon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 300mm f/2.8L II focus ring question for those who own or used one!

I got mine, brand new about two weeks ago. This lens is just incredible, with practically flawless optics.... Extremely happy with it.

I have a question though for others who own this lens. The focus ring on my copy is smooth in movement, yet has a lumpy type feel when spun more quickly back and forth (from MFD to infinity). It's not gritty at all, and there is no play in the focus ring. It just has this lumpy feel at times, which I expect may just be lubricant in there, but I wanted to see if others can check to see if this may be normal? I wish I can be more specific on how it feels, but lumpy is the best I got!

It don't effect the AF one bit... Extremely smooth and quiet sounding. There is no focus slop either between the ring and focus scale. All is tight and operating perfectly. Again, I think it is just lubricant perhaps (a sticky like sound can be heard on both moving rings on the lens), as I don't really know what else would it be. The fact the sensation can shift, go away or be more noticeable is the strange part!

Appreciate any input! Just want to put my mind at ease on this large purchase! Performs flawlessly otherwise!

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:26 AM
e.s.sandusky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 300mm f/2.8L II focus ring question for those who own or used one!

I read your post and my curiosity got the better of me. Took mine out of the bag and started moving the focussing ring (something I actually haven't done before, lol). Anyway, I didn't notice any lumpy feel when turning the ring. Personally if all is working I wouldn't worry about it, take a bunch of pics and break that baby in

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:43 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 300mm f/2.8L II focus ring question for those who own or used one!

Thanks for checking! Yeah, I don't see it being any issue really. I was just curious more than anything!

It tends to lessen and go away completely as the ring is used more, which is why I think I may be right on my thoughts of lubricant... As it gets used/warmed up, it thins out and the focus ring "bumps" go away... Sometimes I can't feel them at all, other times (usually when colder) they are noticeable. I think over time it will probably go away completely. But again, turned at slower rates you don't feel them, but when turned quickly you do. Speed dependent

I guess if it does not go away though or gets worse, I can always send it in to Canon before the warranty is up to let them take a look.

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 300mm f/2.8L II focus ring question for those who own or used one!

Mine doesn't do that either. Congrats on an amazing lens!

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 300mm f/2.8L II focus ring question for those who own or used one!

I have found others with similar sensations on other lenses when I searched "bumpy" focus ring... So I guess it can happy to any lens, for whatever reason. I did contact Roger from Lens Rentals and he mentioned they have come across it before but it never caused any issues long-term, and when I emailed CPS a few weeks ago they said this (although a big vague overall):

"The focusing ring is in direct contact with the focusing unit and slight movement in a mechanical way I would expect. Canon's first ef tele lenses rotated and made contact with brushes for both manual and auto focus and had less movement and could be rotated with just one finger."

So it looks like the first-gen super-tele's contacted brushes that operated both MF and AF, and the new versions are direct mechanical... So you may feel more "stuff"... Does not really answer why I get these "bumps" that come and go lol

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:16 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 300mm f/2.8L II focus ring question for those who own or used one!

A little update...

I think it is temperature related and the lubricant... Today, the lens is probably a good 10*F warmer or so, given the ambient temperature of the room it has been in all day, compared to prior. Today, the lens moves back and forth without any of the "bumpy/lumpy" sensation. I think it just may be the lubricant gumming up some when the lens is stored in my room near the drafty windows! It's not THAT cold, but probably about the 60-65*F range, versus 70+.

So I think I kind of answered my own question. Appreciate the responses I got! Looks like it just needs to break in and for summer to arrive here in Cleveland! Been a brutal winter! Plus, I can't wait to take this bad boy to the airport for some shooting!

Here are some shots from the zoo this past weekend... First "real" outing with the lens, loved the results... Especially given the gloomy conditions. They are all shot wide open (of course!).

First one was hand-held at ISO 25,600 and 1/100 SS!

6M3C6700.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

6M3C6601.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

6M3C6576.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

6M3C6553.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

6M3C6550.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

6M3C6544.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

6M3C6589.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

6M3C6691.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

6M3C6654.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register