Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Squirrely Eyed
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

The 50/1.4 is much sharper at f/1.4 than the 50/1.8.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:44 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

anthonygh wrote:
Something in the middle might be a compromise...the mk1 1.8...they crop up on ebay quite regularly.

The Mark I has better build and handling, but not by much, and it has the same optics and five-bladed aperture, versus the eight-bladed aperture and USM in the 50/1.4 USM.

It's more of a collector's item than anything

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:57 AM
jbourne

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Right, so I spent this whole time reading the Alt forum, jcolwell's excellent Lens$db, a bunch of forums I didn't know existed, and besides being completely confused and cross-eyed, I am now wondering this: should I sell the f/1.4 and replace it with a T* Planar 50/1.4 or 1.7? I only really use the 50mm for "artsy" photography, so I don't THINK lack of AF will be a huge issue - I can use my 24-105 for "normal" photography. The 1.4 seems to price at around the same as the Canon, and the 1.7 is even quite a bit cheaper. This review:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/11/14/quick-comparison-canon-50mm-f1-8-sigma-50mm-f1-4-and-zeiss-50mm-f1-4/

The bokeh on the T* seems absolutely unreal compared to the poor poor f/1.8. But then... I might as well get the comparable Sigma that has AF?......

Mar 06, 2014 at 04:34 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

The Sigma 50/1.4 HSM is a nice lens- if you can get a good copy. It's one that I'd love to have, but at the time was another ~US$150 due to Canon sales, and didn't want to chance having to deal with the AF. Lower vignetting, higher central sharpness (but lower sharpness across the frame), and supposedly faster focusing make the list for the Sigma compared to the Canon.

As for the Zeiss, the bokeh is incredible- but the sharpness anywhere near wide-open just isn't, compared to any other modern 50mm lens. Great stopped down, but then again, so is your 24-105L, and it's bokeh is pretty good too!

We love to hate the 50/1.4 USM, but for all of it's shortcomings, it's still one of the best options- and best values- on the market for Canon shooters.

Mar 06, 2014 at 04:49 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Meh.... I have both lenses, and have used neither in the past year.

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:21 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne wrote:
Right, so I spent this whole time reading the Alt forum, jcolwell's excellent Lens$db, a bunch of forums I didn't know existed, and besides being completely confused and cross-eyed, I am now wondering this: should I sell the f/1.4 and replace it with a T* Planar 50/1.4 or 1.7?

Basically, if you have to ask, then you should use what you have (Canon 50 mm f/1.4).

You can keep chasing higher performance equipment and churn your set costing many dollars and lose sight of the fact that what makes great photographs has nothing to do with equipment and everything to do with the experience of the photographer and their acquired skills: 1) Lighting, 2) Composition, 3) Timing, 4) Emotional connection with the viewer.

Side note: Forums are best for reading about new developments and techniques and not for asking "should I buy X?". Generally I advise not buying equipment until you face a clearly defined need for it on more than one occasion. Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) gets in the way of making good photographs. Spend the money on getting to locations or hiring models or tickets to gallery exhibitions or books or DVDs or courses or prints and frames.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:18 AM
bboule
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Heh.. this thread motivated me to rent a 50/1.2 for the weekend. :P

Mar 06, 2014 at 01:36 PM
jbourne

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

bboule wrote:
Heh.. this thread motivated me to rent a 50/1.2 for the weekend. :P

Glad it helped, it made me stay up till 2am reading stuff, then go to sleep cross-eyed yesterday :P

I think I've decided to sell the 1.4, and just go shoot with what I have, and IF I come across a good deal on a Zeiss 50mm or something, I'll grab it, and if not, I'll use the money for food or something.

Mar 06, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne -- What I don't get is this: You have the EF 50/1.4, which by general consensus is a much better lens (including imaging) than the 50/1.8. That seems like a no-brainer to keep the 50/1.4 and sell the 50/1.8.

But then, in a different thread, I see you looking (hoping) for a sub-$100 Alt lens that will top other current Canon offerings for IQ. That's just not going to happen. I see you are leaning to the Pentax 50/1.4 in the M42 screw mount to use with adapter -- I've owned that combo and don't want to tell you "no", but -- that lens will not beat the Canon EF 50/1.8 for image quality. Plus, as you know (because you've mention your owning cheap Russian and East European lenses in the past), these all manual lenses are a PITA to use for general photography.

I say keep the EF 50/1.4 and stop your Alt search until you can afford some quality lenses by makers such as Zeiss.

That is, unless you are just goofing around and excited and want to try everything! Then go for it! But be clear about what you are trying to achieve -- high quality images, or just try out all sorts of gear. I've been down that road, tried a lot of manual focus lenses, and come back around to the joys of modern Canon products. Far be it from me to stop anyone else from trying!

My experience has taught me that there is no magic bargain lens the produces amazing IQ -- if it existed, someone has bought it already.

Have fun with your new 6D!

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:16 PM
Joe Garner
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne wrote:
I am now wondering this: should I sell the f/1.4 and replace it with a T* Planar 50/1.4 or 1.7? I only really use the 50mm for "artsy" photography, so I don't THINK lack of AF will be a huge issue - I can use my 24-105 for "normal" photography. The 1.4 seems to price at around the same as the Canon, and the 1.7 is even quite a bit cheaper.

You can get an excellent manual 50/1.4 for a fraction of Planar money. SMC Tak and Zuiko both run around $100, Nikkor Ai is slightly more expensive but not by much.

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TSLA

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

I have the 1.8. I'm satisfied with it, but I'd like to get a 50mm lens that produces better bokeh, has faster af and has better build quality. I know there are other brands that offer viable 50mm lens options, but I just prefer to stick with Canon glass. I've thought about getting the 1.4, but based on the things that I've read, I don't think replacing the 1.8 with the 1.4 is in my best interest at this time.

If you believe the rumor sites, there should be a new Canon 50mm lens coming down the pike this year. Hopefully those rumors are true.

Mar 08, 2014 at 01:26 AM
john paskey
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

only bad thing on 50 f1.4 is that the af system dies, then you buy another or use as manual since the cost to fix is prohibitive vs refurbed or good used

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

john paskey wrote:
only bad thing on 50 f1.4 is that the af system dies, then you buy another or use as manual since the cost to fix is prohibitive vs refurbed or good used

It might die for some but mine has been faultless for many many years....and I suspect my experience with this lens is the norm.

What happens on internet sites is when something goes wrong people reach for their keyboards to air their problem...when it just performs properly it is taken for granted.

So why is the 1.4 mentioned so much? Probably because it is an older design and because there are so many in circulation...many of which are quite old. There might be more failures numerically, but I suspect the numbers going wrong are a very small percentage of the numbers in use that are not going wrong.

Mar 11, 2014 at 09:38 AM
asiafish
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Gunzorro wrote:
jbourne -- What I don't get is this: You have the EF 50/1.4, which by general consensus is a much better lens (including imaging) than the 50/1.8. That seems like a no-brainer to keep the 50/1.4 and sell the 50/1.8.

But then, in a different thread, I see you looking (hoping) for a sub-$100 Alt lens that will top other current Canon offerings for IQ. That's just not going to happen. I see you are leaning to the Pentax 50/1.4 in the M42 screw mount to use with adapter -- I've owned that combo and don't want to tell you "no",
...Show more

There are some magic bargains out there if you know where to look. I use a Russian Jupiter 3 50mm lens on my Leica and while not "better" technically than a modern lens, it is definitely "better" for certain types of images.

L1000664-Edit by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1000706-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1000667-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:11 PM
bboule
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

john paskey wrote:

It's hardly prohibitive.. Canon had a flat rate $100 repair fee for the 50mm f/1.4 when the AF broke on mine.. I fell hiking and the lens hit the snow/ice without a hood. (I never used it without a hood once I got it back) It wasn't usable as a MF lens either.. it was very hard to turn the focusing ring once it was broken and I doubt the elements were aligned properly. Canon did a great job with the repair, it came back very very sharp.

Can anyone chime in with a 50/1.4 repair price from the last year? My repair was 2009. I bought the lens in 2005, broke it in 2009, and then used it till 2013 with no more issues. I replaced it with the 35/2 IS last year..

FWIW I enjoyed using the 50/1.2 over the weekend but can't see myself buying one.. it clearly has better color & bokeh than the 50/1.4 but the AF is not fast enough to make me spend that kind of money on it.. It had a lower hit rate for people shots than my 35/2 IS and the 35 is so sharp at f/2 that I don't feel like I lose much..

I will wait for a new 50 though, I miss the focal length. I could even see myself selling my 24-105L or 17-40L if Canon comes up with a really nice new 50mm design.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:13 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

bboule wrote:
I will wait for a new 50 though, I miss the focal length. I could even see myself selling my 24-105L or 17-40L if Canon comes up with a really nice new 50mm design.

The new Sigma has me more excited than anything- the performance of the current Sigma is very good, barring AF issues. In particular, I look forward to Sigma rendering and bokeh along with an improvement in sharpness and contrast wide-open as well as sharpness stopped down, where the Canon beats it. And I hope that Sigma puts some effort into reducing or eliminating longitudinal chromatic aberrations at the widest apertures- it's destructive, and such a pain to get rid of in post!

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:34 PM
bboule
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Any new 50 I would buy has got to have AF at least as good as the 50 f/1.2L.. I want to be able to shoot people that are moving with the lens at or near wide open and have a chance of getting them in focus... I suppose I could rent the Sigma(s) and see how they do but what I've heard about AF would make me suspicious. Forum impressions of most of these 50s have been pretty much dead on when it came to focusing IME.

Mar 11, 2014 at 03:55 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

What about the 50/2.5?

Mar 11, 2014 at 04:14 PM
outlawyer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

It's a great lens. Love the 2.5.

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:35 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

bboule wrote:
It's hardly prohibitive.. Canon had a flat rate $100 repair fee for the 50mm f/1.4 when the AF broke on mine..

Thats nice. Mine cost 75% of the new price to fix. Labour costs are rather different over here...

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:59 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password