New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

StillFingerz wrote:
Jborne, folllow the link below for a look at the sharpness differences between the 1.8 and 1.4...the 1.4 at 1.8 has an edge...see for yourself.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=105&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=115&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

I've no experiences with color differences, but it's not uncommon, nor are contrast differences as quality/price rise...

Hum. According to this, the difference is pretty big. I guess it's time to do some of my own testing in my backyard. Oh wait............. it's all snow. Nothing to shoot pictures of.

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:07 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne wrote:
Hum. According to this, the difference is pretty big. I guess it's time to do some of my own testing in my backyard. Oh wait............. it's all snow. Nothing to shoot pictures of.

I forgot to add, that side by side image test also shows a slight 'contrast' increase for the 1.4 as well, it's subtle but it's there. Notice a slight brightness in image as you switch between them.

Another note, when looking at similar lenses, check the aperture blade count and shape, this accounts for differences in the out of focus bits-n-pieces; pentagons, circles, donuts, etc.

Lastly, my evening event kit consists of the 28 f1.8, 50 f1.4 and 83 f1.8, sometimes the 100 f2.8 mac...

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:17 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

StillFingerz wrote:
John, most excellent counter, I've not encountered the pentagon issue, just found the ergo useless for my use, good info

Photozone.de shows it near the bottom of their review page, evident with even a little stopping down, for example. Obviously it doesn't show everywhere and can easily be controlled for- but it doesn't help the bokeh much.

Now, the lens is sharp, and is capable of taking wonderful photos- but in this case, the f/1.4 version is better even if you never shoot it at f/1.4 .

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:17 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

John, thanks for the link, it's now bookmarked and will be used for future reviews

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:22 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

StillFingerz wrote:
As with most gear purchased, for me it's about ease of use or feel, for me the 1.4 and it's wider focusing ring made for a better fit.

Exactly the same for me - i didn't buy the 1.4 to get better IQ or even for f/1.4, i bought it for the focus ring (and better AF).

And for those who haven't seen them before - Pentagons:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6036/6242969398_4cbb62f293_o.jpg

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:45 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

The 50 f/1.8 other than for IQ is a epic failure of a lens and an embarrassment of design. What moron in Canon thought a 1mm wide focus ring was a good idea, and AF in low light is a joke. The bokeh should be called jokeh.

The 50 f/1.8 was so poor, I bought a manual focus Contax 50 f/1.4 by Zeiss for $145. I think it still could focus faster.

Wouldn't buy the 50 f/1.4 either, but it's certainly much better built.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:03 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The 50 f/1.8 other than for IQ is a epic failure of a lens and an embarrassment of design. What moron in Canon thought a 1mm wide focus ring was a good idea, and AF in low light is a joke. The bokeh should be called jokeh.

The 50 f/1.8 was so poor, I bought a manual focus Contax 50 f/1.4 by Zeiss for $145. I think it still could focus faster.

Wouldn't buy the 50 f/1.4 either, but it's certainly much better built.

For a counter argument: There are few AF lenses being sold for so cheap that produce such nice output.

The lens is very sharp from f/2 to f/2.8, and can be there wide open too. Colors are nice. Bokeh isn't the smoothest. AF is fine. MF isn't great because of the small focus ring-- but I don't think this lens is made with MF in mind. If you want to MF, do yourself a favor and pick up a SUPER cheap Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 with an adaptor ring... stunning lens that you can find for almost nothing.

The 50 f/1.4 is surely more quiet, AFs more smoothly (pseudo-USM), and is sharper at f/1.8 to f/2.2 in my experience. That said, the AF module on the 50mm f/1.4 is very, very prone to jamming up and breaking. It's a known issue that arises from wear or from seemingly innocuous bumps. The 1.8 might shatter if you drop/bump it, but the 1.4 might just stop AFing.

They're both good for the price. Neither is great for MF (save money and get a better, smaller, nicer alt lens for that).

I had both at the same time, and gave the 1.8 to a friend because it, for some reason, jammed up the mirror on my 5D2. I sold the 1.4 for the 35L... I prefer the FL.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:21 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Whayne, not all of us on FM are pros or can afford the best, highest quality gear. I'd guess that 'moron' or group of 'morons' designed the nifty fifty as an entry point. There are some beginners with very low budgets, who have also found photography enjoyable, and fun, want to continue exploring with more than just a cell phone.

It's too easy to label, discount, those that haven't had your experience, please don't forget these noobs, they are just as interested in imaging as you are, as are many long time shooters on this site.

There are several photographers that have disabilities, not just my spinal cord type, that find the nifty fifty in particular quite usable and affordable. I doubt seriously Canon or any other vendor caters to the disabled but some of the entry level gear actually gives them pleasure, a vehicle to create.

I've several friends at varying levels of disability; MD, MS Polio, that get interested in photography once they find out I can use a 'real' camera system. This happens with artists as well; brush to canvas, digital tablets, etc., we adapt, then experiment and when possible move up the gear chain to bigger and better...

But many are stuck with 'lower end' gear', their passion isn't any less strong, they still want to create, enjoy life, a creative life. A good friend has an injury at my level, C5, she wasn't as fortunate as I and lost much more movement. I say 'much more' because at this high a level of break even a millimeter lower or higher can stop all upper body movement.

With less arm strength, little to no wrist strength she can still manage to set up most controls on her T3i. She shoots stills and video and 'only' has the nifty fifty to work with. It's lower grade built, tiny forward focus ring, allows her to focus with a single finger nail.

Her portrait work is fantastic, in fact she's started using her images to augment her graphic design artwork. She's a Photoshop geek through n through; is teaching me a few tricks given my virgin status. She is a fantastic artist and teacher, yet none of her gear is cutting edge. She contributes, creates, enjoys life, and gives many hope as they explore their own less than perfect bodies; artistic abilities.

Enough said me thinks, many enjoy this art, distraction, the gear really doesn't mater, unless you have 'none'. The mind and willingness to explore the world around us does matter, discounting so much; many, as you did in your above post doesn't help...

Sincerely,
Jerry

Edited on Mar 05, 2014 at 07:52 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:42 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

I understand that Canon have designated the 1.4 as their 'reference' lens....which I take to mean that is the standard used to determine colour balance in their other lenses. Or it might not...I am sure someone here will know.

That aside, I have had this lens for years....never had a mechanical problem...and old design or not it snaps into focus without hesitation.

There was a time when I was disappointed with the focus when used wide open ( it seemed soft)...then one day I did some very careful tests photographing a ruler at an oblique angle to the lens...and discovered the DoF was literally a couple of MMs at f1.4...and basically...I hadn't been focusing properly. When I did, it was sharp wide open on the small bit of ruler within the DoF.

I also have the FD version which I use on my T90. That too is exceptionally sharp.

Your best bet however is to Google the lens....there have been numerous reviews of it over the years. Even when it doesn't come out as 'best in the test' it is always highly rated and always seen as great value for money.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:01 AM
griffithphoto

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Though I haven't had much experience with the nicer 50 mm lenses the f/1.8, or nifty fifty, has been one of my go to lenses for years. At times I forget how cheap it was and just marvel at the shots that I can get with it. As always, it is just a tool in the toolkit. I think as photographers we (myself included) sometimes get carried away with the gear and forget about why we are here in the first place; to take photos.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:11 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

I named the 50/1.8 the "Iffy Fifty".

My personal comparison of the two lenses showed the 50/1.4 to be a much better lens in all the ways you've heard here: focusing (steps and accuracy), manual focusing, pentagons, sharpness, color. My 50/1.4 was basically as sharp as my EF 50/2.5 Compact Macro, although not as flat of field.

I would never buy the 50/1.8 again.

My current "50" line up: 50/1.2L (my favorite for non-technical reproduction), 50/2.5 macro, TSE 45/2.8, adapted Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 (manual everything), and adapted Leica R 60/2.8 macro (manual everything).

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

OntheRez summed it up for you nicely, although my personal sentiment runs opposite to his - I hated, hated, hated 1.8, could not get rid of it fast enough, while 50/1.4 is one of my favorites and proved to be long-lasting and reliable. Now, if only Canon weren't such a cheapskate and fitted it with USM....

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Langran
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Having owned both (and other 50mm lenses) I can say they're both great. Think of it as there isn't really a bad option. The 1.4 is definitely better - lets in a bit more light which for me is important and the build is considerably better. If you can afford it, keep the 1.4 and never worry. If you want to save money keep the 1.8 and know that you got such a great bargain that it doesn't even matter

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:34 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Jerry,

This is a bit off topic, but I've always admired your rational discourse and the fact you are out front with your "disability" but refuse to allow it to stop your passion. I think we all have a tendency towards arrogance after we've been shooting for a while based upon our accumulated experience. There's nothing wrong with this. It is after all the foundation of true craft, but it is a limited view. We need to be aware of the fact that we are coming from the limitations of our world view and experience.

The I Ching (which is largely about how to become a "superior" man, i.e. a fully developed human being) has the line: The self taught man tends towards arrogance. Humility is learned from others. I think nearly all of us are self-taught, and we tend to forget that our teacher really isn't omniscient. What I know compared to what I wish and hope to know is little more than a clump of sand on an infinite beach.

Long ago I worked on a spinal cord injury ward at a major military hospital, so I have some experience with how devastating the loss of parts of the body can be. Please keep speaking up and reminding us of rationality and the fact that we really don't know all that much.

Robert

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:44 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

I'm with Jerry and Robert on this. The f/1.8 is built to a price, which means low development costs, cheap construction and no frills. It doesn't mean poor IQ though.

So while i would agree with everyone who complains about the build quality and inconsistent AF on the f/1.8, i counter by saying what Jerry phrased so well above - that whilst from our rarefied, L-glass owning positions it doesn't seem so much, to many people the $400 for the f/1.4 is a lot to spend on a lens. I also remember that i have many many really good pictures from the f/1.8 that i had, and that here in Norway it costs about the same as 10 pints of beer. I can't name a lens that offers better value for money...

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:28 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Robert, thank you, not always sure I should speak up, on occasion falling into the trap of too many years doing 'something and knowing all', I somehow manage to not stumble about too much, and put my best foot forward....so to speak.

I mean not to offend, understanding that that may happen, my speak only to remind that we all started somewhere in this art with fresh yet inexperienced eyes; skill sets. My rehab reminded me of times spent in my youth at our local VA hospital. Struggles faced by so many that served in the 60s, early 70s, born a military brat, on base or at hospital, gave me insights and strength to face reality, even a harsh one, with head held high.

Not to cast shadow, but in my early disabled life we; no matter the level of injury, in wheelchairs were assumed to be one of many 'Jerry's Kids, in need of constant care and managing. With mind fully intact yet treated as not, it is tough to maintain enough humbleness so as not to explode at your nearest new 'buddy/friend' that want's so desperately to assist and insists it's needed. Decades have passed, things are better, much better, still a 'token' for some, for most others just one of the team

There are times I've not been on my best footing, have as of recently complained about the 'whining' that seems to pervade today's public discourse, this I need rein in and cease such efforts as even when in jest seem to offend.

Apologies for hijacking another FM thread, it's my crazy no fear self out chasing about the three I's; ignorance, indifference, injustice, even in powerchair that need/want is most strong. No need to be afraid tho, most run much faster than I and for those that don't, just mind your ankles

Cheers,
Jerry

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:55 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

StillFingerz wrote:
There are times I've not been on my best footing, have as of recently complained about the 'whining' that seems to pervade today's public discourse, this I need rein in and cease such efforts as even when in jest seem to offend.

Actually Jerry i don't think you do need to rein this in. This forum is not so blighted with the problem as other places, but we do have a number of folk who seem to like nothing more than to complain vehemently on topics so pathetic that i now dismissively think of them as "first world problems". You are (unfortunately) in a position of slightly firmer moral footing with respect to being able to tell such folk to stop whining and realise how lucky they are to have the problems about which they complain.

I would also like to echo Robert's comments from earlier about how we appreciate your attitude to, and candour about, the challenges you face in life.

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:04 PM
bboule
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

I've owned both, I currently own neither, and I am tempted to get a 50/1.8 again.

The 50/1.4 *is* sharper and has better bokeh, but it has it's own issues near wide open, and the digital picture comparison posted in this thread shows it perfectly clear. The 1.4 has "halation" or whatever it is called, particularly in the corners. It looks pretty bad at f/1.4, but it is still obvious in the f/2.0 comparison that was linked. Personally I think this might be more annoying than the worse contrast on the f/1.8 lens. The issues the f/1.4 lens has are not 1-click fixable in say Lightroom.

The build quality of the f/1.4 is extremely "eh" for the money too. Yes you have a more expensive lens, but you are never more than a moment away from it breaking.. it is very fragile, it just costs more. I broke both of these 50s, when I broke the f/1.8 I threw it away and got the f/1.4. When I broke the f/1.4, I sent it to Canon and it cost about the same to fix as it would to buy another f/1.8 model. You could buy a 4-pack of f/1.8 lenses instead and have a more reliable setup...

Neither of these lenses has real great AF either. Even a 5D3/1DX cannot reliably focus the 50/1.4 at f/1.4, and without the right viewfinder screen and good eyesight it is very hard to do by hand too. If you want to shoot at f/1.4 be prepared to shoot a bunch of shots to get one that is right on. My theory is that this is because there is so much play in the moving elements on this lens.. with that much play the AF motor probably just can't reliably get it in place. I just find this annoying. I have had 2 of the 85/1.8 lenses and they have a good bit less DoF than the 50/1.4 @ f/1.4 and they never had these problems, they work great at a similar cost level.

Let's be clear, the f/1.4 is a good lens, but it is frustrating too. I use my 35/2 IS now as a substitute, the 35/2 IS is just not frustrating at all.. I am always happy to use it in pretty much every way. (Bokeh, AF, image quality, etc..). Basically if both lenses are going to be somewhat frustrating and prone to being broken and you are okay with the Pentagons stick with the f/1.8.

Since the 50/1.2 also seems to have the protruding/moving front element design and is really expensive AND gets pegged as having inconsistent AF I haven't bothered trying it.. if Canon refreshes the 50/1.4 I will be trying that new lens right away though, especially if they figure out a way to do internal focus with no externally moving elements (better for reliability).

You could probably also consider the 40mm f/2.8 pancake as well.

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:10 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Something in the middle might be a compromise...the mk1 1.8...they crop up on ebay quite regularly:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1-8-Mark-1-metal-lens-Caps-for-EOS-550D-600D-650D-50D-60D-/171240861521?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item27dec02f51

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:12 PM
jbourne

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

anthonygh wrote:
Something in the middle might be a compromise...the mk1 1.8...they crop up on ebay quite regularly:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1-8-Mark-1-metal-lens-Caps-for-EOS-550D-600D-650D-50D-60D-/171240861521?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item27dec02f51

I don't necessarily consider the f/1.8 to be of terrible build quality (I'm being realistic with its price), so I would likely not switch just to get a metal body. But it does look like I'm going to play with the 1.4, and possibly sell it, based on some of the opinions on this thread. I just posted another question in a separate thread regarding some manual lenses - I'm wondering whether I should consider selling the 1.4, and with the money earned, get some kind of an artsy prime that I can shoot magical-looking travel pictures with. I suppose this is hardly good framing of the question, but that's all I got for the moment

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:25 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.