Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Hi all,

I suppose this question has been hammered to death, but I'm trying to decide between the two. The twist on the matter is I actually have both in hand - though the f1.4 hasn't been unboxed yet. I seem to have gathered that the collective opinion is that there isn't really an opinion - some like the 1.8 for the quality it provides for its silly price, and some prefer the build.

What I haven't been able to determine is an opinion on the optics, which is the primary thing that concerns me. Yes, more aperture blades on the 1.4 mean better bokeh. But barrel distortion appears to be worse. I've been usin the 1.8 for a while and was reasonably happy with it (it survived my 60D and moved onto my 6D, where I find it to be a great walkabout lens now). The implication here is that it survived the years, too, so I'm clearly not finding it so poorly built as to fall apart on me.

I guess the most recommended course of action for me is to unbox the 1.4, losing some resale value in the process, and decide then. But, maybe some advice will be forthcoming before I do that?

Thanks!

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:26 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne wrote:
I guess the most recommended course of action for me is to unbox the 1.4, losing some resale value in the process,

Obsessing about lens values neglects their true purpose: for making photographs.

My advice: use the f/1.4 to make photographs.

Make enough photographs with it over enough time (be it years if need be) until the issues and characteristics and pros and cons of the two lenses are crystal clear in your mind. By then you will have uses for both and won't sell either.

Remember, ... make photographs.

PS: Welcome to FM, jbourne (member since about ten days).

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:34 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

As with most gear purchased, for me it's about ease of use or feel, for me the 1.4 and it's wider focusing ring made for a better fit. The 1.8's focusing ring is tiny and too far forward; right next to the filter. My crippled digits, with or without gloves, just don't like the 1.8's feel/touch, it's price/bang-for-the-buck can't be beat tho.

Jerry

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:40 AM
jbourne

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Monito wrote:
Obsessing about lens values neglects their true purpose: for making photographs.

My advice: use the f/1.4 to make photographs.

Make enough photographs with it over enough time (be it years if need be) until the issues and characteristics and pros and cons of the two lenses are crystal clear in your mind. By then you will have uses for both and won't sell either.

Remember, ... make photographs.

PS: Welcome to FM, jbourne (member since about ten days).

Thanks for the welcome Yeah ... I suppose the best way is to play with it and determine fit for my own needs. Not being a professional, though, some nuances may be lost on me.. such as the manual focussing ring, which I never use (but considering the amount of discussion on its absence, or difficulty to use, on the 1.8 and its presence on the 1.4, I am beginning to wonder whether I should).

StillFingerz wrote:
As with most gear purchased, for me it's about ease of use or feel, for me the 1.4 and it's wider focusing ring made for a better fit. The 1.8's focusing ring is tiny and too far forward; right next to the filter. My crippled digits, with or without gloves, just don't like the 1.8's feel/touch, it's price/bang-for-the-buck can't be beat tho.

Jerry

That's just it, though - if we get into a dollars conversation, it's a losing game from the start. Since, after switching to a 6D, I decided to focus on image quality, I'm trying to stick to that mantra (got the kit 24-105 and a 70-200 F4, which, although maybe not the absolute top, seem to be very good for the price). I am getting a feeling, based on "objective" metrics like DXO, that the 1.4 is very slightly worse than the 1.8, which is counterintuitive to me and which makes me wonder whether I am reading far too much into reviews, hah.

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

You've already lost some resale value, unless you can return it for a full refund before opening it (but not after opening it).

I used the EF 50/1.4 for many years, with no complaints and no problems. That's a pretty lame recommendation. I thought it was an excellent lens. That's better.

Of course, my thoughts are probably 'suspect', because I replaced it a couple of years ago with a 50/1.2L.

Anyway, most "fast fifties" are pretty good. I haven't owned an EF 50/1.8, but I'm confident that its IQ is 'pretty good', too.

I guess I'm coming to this... If you really want to upgrade your 50mm department, then the EF 50/1.4 is probably very worthwhile, but it's not light years ahead of the "thrifty fifty". OTOH, how are you doing in the 24mm and 85mm departments? Just askin'.

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:49 AM
jbourne

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jcolwell wrote:
You've already lost some resale value, unless you can return it for a full refund before opening it (but not after opening it).

I used the EF 50/1.4 for many years, with no complaints and no problems. That's a pretty lame recommendation. I thought it was an excellent lens. That's better.

Of course, my thoughts are probably 'suspect', because I replaced it a couple of years ago with a 50/1.2L.

Anyway, most "fast fifties" are pretty good. I haven't owned an EF 50/1.8, but I'm confident that its IQ is 'pretty good', too.

I guess I'm coming to this... If you really
...Show more

..... and that's the other opinion that I seem to be picking up from the threads - "they're both pretty similar, you should probably think about spending money on something else". Which is also entirely fair.

I have nothing in the 24 or 85 range, besides the uh, 24-105L. Unless there's something I can swap my 1.4 for, though, I think I'd have to pause for a bit, since, in retrospect, I just blew away $3.5K on photo equipment in a month - and I thought tracking (cars) was an expensive hobby.

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:53 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

A pause for reflection is always worth serious consideration. Sit a while...

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:57 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne wrote:
Not being a professional, though, some nuances may be lost on me.. such as the manual focussing ring, which I never use (but considering the amount of discussion on its absence, or difficulty to use, on the 1.8 and its presence on the 1.4, I am beginning to wonder whether I should).

Don't worry about it. Being "professional" simply means running a business with customer care in mind; photography comes second.

If you love photography, people can opine (and do) until they are blue in the face about one obsession of theirs or another and it can be meaningless most of the time if it doesn't address the way you use a piece of equipment for your purposes.

Read posts about equipment mainly to discover new ways of using equipment you have. Since you have the lens, you can discover much more about how you can use it by actually using it than by reading about it.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:00 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

jbourne wrote:
Thanks for the welcome Yeah ... I suppose the best way is to play with it and determine fit for my own needs. Not being a professional, though, some nuances may be lost on me.. such as the manual focussing ring, which I never use (but considering the amount of discussion on its absence, or difficulty to use, on the 1.8 and its presence on the 1.4, I am beginning to wonder whether I should).

That's just it, though - if we get into a dollars conversation, it's a losing game from the start. Since, after switching to a 6D,
...Show more

IMHO, keep the 1.8 and send the 1.4 back; get a refund. With Canon recently releasing their 24/28/35 IS primes I'd guess a 50/85 aren't far behind and these new lenses seem to have pretty good IQ.

As Jim stated, their; 1.4 vs. 1.8, IQ isn't much different. I've had my 1.4 since early 2000 and had NO issues, but some actually have had it's USM and/or AF fail...neither issue seems to affect the 1.8; at least it's not reported. If a slower lens is okay; usable, then check out the 50 f2.5 Macro, it is a sharper lens...

However, to get better IQ you have to get L glass or an expensive 3rd party lens. As for DXO, no comment, I don't use their rating system, understand it either...so I don't pay it much attention.

When I look to get a new lens I usually go to 'The Digital Picture' website and a few others for reviews/images, I also browse through images and text here on FM. Up above in the menu is an option titled EXIF Gallery, check it out, you can use it to search FM for images from a body, lens or combination of, there are more search options as well.

And, one last thing...your 50 1.8 on a crop body had the same FOV as an 85mm lens. I'd be looking seriously at Canon's 85 f1.8, it is fast, killer sharp, one of Canon's true non-L gems...and I highly recommend it.

Jerry

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:17 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

I have had the 50/1.8 on a variety of bodies.

Aesthetically cheap, but takes very nice pictures. However, for some reason, on my new 6D, it is very erratic. After a few photos, it will lock up the camera, and I have to take out the battery to reboot.

Never did that on 300D, 20D or 50D. No other lens on my 6D has had that issue. A minor mystery. My "solution" may be the new Sigma 50/1.4 Art, which is hyped as really fantastic. Actual real data about this lens is very sparse.

While the 50/1.4 is a "nicer" lens, I have never seem objective comparisons indicating superior photos over the 1.8. Yet, I yearn for a "nicer" lens, and hope the Sigma Art may be it. The Zeis Otus iis not an option for me.

Manual focusing on the 50/1.8 is problematic, but I found it auto-focused well.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Welcome aboard jbourne,

Canon made or compatible 50mm lenses is an area source of some contention around here. The f/1.8 is good simply because it does a decent job and is wonderfully inexpensive. I've had two of the f/1.4s both of which proved unreliable. Both were repaired by Canon and sold on. The Sigma 50 has its fans but apparently there is a lot of copy to copy variation. Zeiss now has a $4k version (it's actually a 55mm lens), but that's a bit heart stopping for me. Canon's f/1.2 has fans but is a bit tricky to use and there are those who out right dump on it.

Seems to me if you have been happy with the f/1.8 version you might as well keep using it. The 1/2 stop faster probably isn't a deal breaker and while I haven't done any serious testing, what little I've seen and done suggests that the skill of the photographer is more important than the differences between the 2 lenses. In other words, you're unlikely to see $300 difference in the quality of your photos. Pick one and take pix. They both work though oddly enough the f/1.8 seems more durable.

Robert

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

OntheRez wrote:
...Canon's f/1.2 has fans but is a bit tricky to use and there are those who out right dump on it.

It cleans up OK.

OntheRez wrote:
...Seems to me if you have been happy with the f/1.8 version you might as well keep using it...

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:34 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

To counter Jerry's post above to play the devil's advocate, keeping the 50/1.4 USM makes more sense if you consider:

1. It's still not expensive; Sigma's new 50/1.4 Art and any Canon successor with image stabilization will run about twice the price and may not deliver better effective image quality if you shoot stopped down appreciably more than wide-open.
2. Stopped down, it's the sharpest 50mm-class lens across the frame you can get with AF on a DSLR, and the bokeh is above average. Note that pentagon-shaped highlights on the 50/1.8 II are pretty distracting.
3. While it's just about the minimum you'd expect from a non-budget lens from a handling perspective, it's significantly better than the 50/1.8 II. Better placed focus ring, sure, but also manual focus override, and otherwise better build quality.

Basically, if you're intending to keep one or the other as the normal lens in your kit, the 50/1.4 is it- if you're planning on upgrading to something better, which most of us are, then stick with the 50/1.8 II.

And if you were shooting Nikon, the 50/1.8G would definitely merit the overall recommendation- but it's build and handling is better than the 50/1.4 USM .

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:37 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

OntheRez wrote:
...In other words, you're unlikely to see $300 difference in the quality of your photos...

Pentagons, pentagons everywhere!

(that's my primary complaint against the 'shifty fifty')

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:39 AM
jbourne

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Thanks for all the replies. It helps to see the different perspectives.

I've never explicitly noticed the pentagons, but I'm certain they will haunt me now. I need to shoot some night scenes and see how bad they are in the types of shots I do.

@Jefferson - nice dog. This shot exemplifies my typical shots with the 50, though - there isn't much to pentagonise in the background, since no small round sources of lights are present... which is probably why I've never really seen the pentagons. I'm going to go review my pics now, though, heh.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:49 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Canon 50 f/1.4 @ f/5.6 ... ISO 100 ... 1/200 ... manual exposure mode
5Dc ...

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:49 AM
jbourne

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

One of the comments I saw made on the two lenses was the colour reproduction, whereby the 1.4 was said to have it be significantly better than the 1.8. Has anyone noticed this?

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:51 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

John, most excellent counter, I've not encountered the pentagon issue, just found the ergo useless for my use, good info

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:52 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

... 50 f/1.4 @ f/4 ... ISO 100 ... 1/320 ... 5Dc ... both shots
Decent walk around too ...

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:57 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · F1.8 vs f1.4 50mm

Jborne, folllow the link below for a look at the sharpness differences between the 1.8 and 1.4...the 1.4 at 1.8 has an edge...see for yourself.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=105&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=115&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

I've no experiences with color differences, but it's not uncommon, nor are contrast differences as quality/price rise...

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password