FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The Valley of Fire

Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Valley of Fire

I was doing a portrait session during monsoon season here at one of my favorite locations (the Valley of Fire) and snapped a quick series of landscape photos at the end of the shoot and stitched them together in Photoshop - this is 7 images combined to create a panorama. It is so beautiful here! The resolution on this image is huge - this definitely does not do it justice at all. It would print at a 6x1 ratio - perhaps a cluster of three 15x30 metal prints? What do you think? Go gentle on me - I'm a portrait photographer by trade and only dabble in landscapes, though I do love doing them and would love to do more!

Mar 04, 2014 at 01:03 PM
edubay121

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Valley of Fire

I for one love the image. Especially the transition in colors/lighting from left to right. I've only been to the Valley of Fire once, and quite a nice area to drive and walk through.

Mar 04, 2014 at 01:15 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Valley of Fire

Hey Lisa,

It's always great to have you stop by here with your landscape shots. But how did you get all the way to VoF for a portrait session? Aren't you in the Midwest somewhere?

I like this pano, it gives some idea to the great expanse of those cool red rocks. The only area on the shot that I am not keen on is the left part of the sky where the sun was too hot for the shot. I like the idea of having gold over there and the transition of light and color that can be seen in the sky with this wide of a pano, but I wish the edges of color in the clouds was not so harsh.

You could try just cropping that left edge off. You also could try just selecting that harsh yellow edge along the cloud, and then do a content aware fill on it, or a healing patch. Sometimes that can soften the edges and let the colors flow a little more naturally. You could just select the highlights in that part and use the photo filter to add just a bit of yellow to that area.

A couple of ideas to play with.

Jim

Mar 04, 2014 at 01:42 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Valley of Fire

Great panorama, and I love the colors. The right most section of the photo is my favorite. This would look great in a video where you panned across the photo.

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Callisto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Valley of Fire

I love the colors in the sky on the left and to the far right the red glow on the hill top. It is so enjoyable to let the eye wander back and forth. It really gives a feel for the place. I think the cluster idea on a large wall would be a fine way to display it.

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Valley of Fire

Thank you guys - love the suggestions too! @Jim - I'm in Northwestern Arizona so this is about 2 1/2 hours away from my house. I go there often. I did a few fun shoots there and now everyone and their dog wants a session there. I'm kind of over using it for portraits but would love to go back and spend a day just capturing the landscape.

Mar 04, 2014 at 03:39 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Valley of Fire

Lisa, at what time do you usually go there for portrait to get that beautiful light.

Mar 04, 2014 at 03:45 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Valley of Fire

fsiagian wrote:
Lisa, at what time do you usually go there for portrait to get that beautiful light.

I usually start a portrait session about 2 1/2 hours before sunset - I'll start out working in open shade (lots of that in the park) and then move for more back lit shots as the sun gets lower.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:53 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Valley of Fire

excellent image Lisa

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:13 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Valley of Fire

I think 3 metal images would look better than one large long one.... just to break it up a bit as it is quite a panorama.

Your an amazing photographer. Your portraits are bar none, some of the best I have ever seen. Now watch out landscape photographers! Very nice image you have captured!

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:44 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Valley of Fire

Lisa, the light and colors are lovely. However, the composition is not as impressive as it could be.
I cannot see your EXIF in Flickr, but looks like you were shooting with wide lens in horizontal. Next time you are there, try longer lens, and in verical, or, at least, wide vertical with a well defined foreground. Just to give an idea - in a month from now, Valley will be in bloom, and there are very photogenic areas north from where you shot was made.
I understand that you are all excited about printing, but hold on. I think you can do better.

Sasha.

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:47 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Valley of Fire

Lisa, your landscape photography will likely become as great as your portrait work. I really like your image above - beautiful light and great capture. If it were my image, I would crop off part of the left hand side. But this is subjective. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in this forum!
Keith W.

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:07 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Valley of Fire

I love the wide view and the many color transitions. The brightly lit peak at the right makes the shot for me.

Phil

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:15 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.