New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

Hi guys. Long time Canon shooter here. Looking to get a D610 mainly for the sensor for landscape, travel. I am not abandoning Canon totally (yet). I could clearly see how the Exmore sensor can benefit me in certain high contrast scenes. Just want to get a D610 with the 16-35f/4 VR and the 24-120 f/4 VR for casual landscape and travel. I am just a hobbyist. I looked at the Sony A7 route but decided that's not for me, mainly because the poor selection of native lenses. I don't really want to fuss around with adapters.

The best D610 with USA warranty I could find is around $1900, while the imported D610 go for about $1650 with no USA warranty. That's a pretty big difference.

Should I take the chance? I know I am the only one who can answer that question but will appreciate some suggestions. Right now I am not looking at the D600, can't get a new one anyway.

TIA.

Douglas

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:19 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

I'd buy US used before gray-market used.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:05 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

I would get a refurbish D600

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:27 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

You get what you pay for. Although the cameras are identical.

The gray market costs less, but then when you go to sell it, you will receive less also. The market adjusts.

Nikon USA will not service gray market either, although other independent service centers might, if they can get parts from Nikon. And usually the seller says they will cover it...

So, if your comfortable with it... go ahead. Someone's buying them.

On the other hand, the refurbs are a good compromise.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:42 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

Cameras are complex instruments that sometimes fail. They are more likely to fail in the initial period of ownership. The price differential between US and gray buys a one-year warranty. (Which becomes two if you buy AMEX, right?)

I like to gamble by not buying an extended warranty, but not by omitting the mfr. warranty. Except maybe on something I believe quite unlikely to fail and not that expensive besides (a teleconverter, for example).

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

Don't the refurbished ones only come with a short warranty? Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a new one with US warranty, just to have the peace of mind. Thank you everyone.

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:14 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

I've seen refurbed D610's with up to a yr warranty for $1749...shop around.

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:18 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

I say it depends who you are buying from. I wouldn't trust any of the crooklyn ebay'ers but I would trust someone like DigitalRev.

From their website:
The DigitalRev 12-month warranty warrants the product to operate according to the manufacturer's specifications for the period of 1 year after the dispatch date. If your purchase suffers a manufacturer defect or fault of production, or a fault of material, then have no fear. You are covered for local servicing.

Local Servicing
Not only does our warranty cover a full 12 months, but it also allows you to get repairs and services done locally, at your convenience. This means, you won’t need to send YOUR CAMERA back to us. We will refund all services that you have to make during your 12-month warranty, as long as you provide eligible receipts.

They currently sell the D610 for $1619.00. Looks like a limited time offer.

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:40 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

I've bought all my Nikon equipment brand new at Best Buy, they'll price match major online retailers and offer 18 months interest free financing...over the years I've typically just made the minimum payment and pay it off with tax returns...works well for me, good luck...love my 610

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

Maryland has gambling. try your luck there instead

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Pyrat
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

I understand the (somewhat expected) concerned FM'ers with direct counsel to purchase only local, get the warranty and sleep. It's not bad advice (could be very valuable) but it proved to be a conundrum for me, and I ultimately went the DigitalRev way on this on my 610 - simply, the expected cost of repairs (after first year) was lower than the discount I received shopping Grey Market. Your risk curve will undoubtedly differ -and yes, it is likely that the resale in the first year/two will be lower than a warranty'd unit, however I have sold a D90 and D7000 and never had a question on the grey/USA nature of the body. So, maybe thats a problem for some, but I have no intention of selling this in the next 36 months, so its a likely moot issue. The savings I received on the body helped to pick up a Sigma 35 1.4, and both have performed very, very well. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe everyone else is overpaying for notoriously bad warranty repairs (which honestly came into the decision where to purchase) Sometimes you reap what you sow. We all make our own choices.

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

I think I am just going to buy anew one with USA warranty (two years with AMEX) to have the peace in mind. I ordered the Nikon 16-35 and 24-120 for now, after selling off my Canon 6D and two L lenses. But I am keeping my Canon 5DIII and a couple L lenses too.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:15 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

You can still buy new d600 on amazon. Digitalrev has them as well. Going for around $1500. Just picked one up myself. Thats assuming you are willing to deal with sending it in to have the shutter replaced.

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:27 PM
dragicon
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

ckcarr wrote:
You get what you pay for. Although the cameras are identical.

The gray market costs less, but then when you go to sell it, you will receive less also. The market adjusts.

Nikon USA will not service gray market either, although other independent service centers might, if they can get parts from Nikon. And usually the seller says they will cover it...

So, if your comfortable with it... go ahead. Someone's buying them.

On the other hand, the refurbs are a good compromise.

Where have you heard this? I called Nikon Service USA just the other day about this issue, and they said that as long as you have the original receipt from the place you bought it, whether it is a USA model or not, that they will service it. If it is a non-usa model and you don't have a receipt, then you are out of luck.

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

kdrk888 wrote:
Don't the refurbished ones only come with a short warranty? Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a new one with US warranty, just to have the peace of mind. Thank you everyone.

Refurbs usually get 90 days warranty. Brand new US bodies get 1 yr warranty. I've bought a LOT of refurb bodies through the years and they've always been trouble-free. The rules change a bit when it comes to lenses though, because BNIB US lenses get 5-yr warranty while bodies only get 1 year.

Personally, I have no issues buying refurb bodies.. but when it comes to lenses, buying brand new to get 5 years of warranty is worth the extra coin*.

*if they don't hit you with impact damage

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:24 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

dragicon wrote:
Where have you heard this? I called Nikon Service USA just the other day about this issue, and they said that as long as you have the original receipt from the place you bought it, whether it is a USA model or not, that they will service it. If it is a non-usa model and you don't have a receipt, then you are out of luck.

Not according to the Nikon USA website:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5Mzk4Mjc5NC9zaWQvOW14ai1xT2w%3D

What does owning a "Gray Market" Nikon product mean to you?

"Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact the reseller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads."

Then the last paragraph means, take it back wherever you bought it...

Does owning a "Gray Market" Nikon product mean I don't have a warranty?
No! All Nikon products come with a warranty by the manufacturer. The designated Nikon service center will always repair "in warranty" Nikon products and perform "out of warranty" repairs. If you own a Gray Market product it will need to be returned to the reseller or importer for service. Refer to your reseller or to the warranty cards included with the product for service contact information.

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:29 PM
dragicon
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

So is grey market different from a camera bought in another country?

ckcarr wrote:
Not according to the Nikon USA website:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5Mzk4Mjc5NC9zaWQvOW14ai1xT2w%3D

What does owning a "Gray Market" Nikon product mean to you?

"Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact the reseller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads."

Then the last paragraph means, take it back wherever you bought it...

Does owning a "Gray Market" Nikon product
...Show more

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

Oh yes it is.

Mar 08, 2014 at 10:37 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

In reading the definition of Gray market. It addressing an item not imported by Nikon USA. They give FCC and Safety regulations blah blah blah
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331/~/what-is-gray-market%3F

I think a phone call to Nikon USA would be in order regarding the issue of if you bought it in another country. I believe if it was a valid s/n for the authorize importer for that country and you had a receipt that they would service it. Just my opinion.

Mar 08, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Grey Market D610 Vs D610 with USA Warranty

The USA models are much more fragile, I've never heard of a non-USA model suffering from invisible impact damage.

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.