Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Newbie who really needs help

Midg08

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Newbie who really needs help

Hi everyone-
I'm sure there are lots of posts with the same request for information and I also know that amateurs come and go in this field all the time so I hope a few of you will take the time to help a girl out.
I have been an aspiring photographer for 15 years. I have never owned any thing more than point and shoot type cameras. I have finally taken a leap of faith and bought a (used) dslr camera. I have asked friends/ family to become my test models in various genres of photography.
Once I have a basic portfolio I will start creating a true business around it.
My questions are these:
Boudoir photography: do you provide any type of props for this area? Is it completely up to the client to provide all props? Examples: boas, garters, silky stockings etc. things they actually wear.

For other types of shoots : (everything but weddings- I don't want to be responsible for ruining someone's big day)
What are your go to props? Do any of you use a green screen for digital backgrounds?

Are there any good tutorials that focus on natural lighting vs studio lights. I plan to reinvest $$ earned in to gear Lon before I invest in a studio. Where I live there were 3 big name photographers while I was a kid. 2 have retired. One is a master photographer.
The other photographers all work out of their homes or locational only. I want to offer a studio experience eventually. I don't want to end at home studio. I want to go all the way, but there's no one or any where to learn from.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Mica

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:12 PM
kzoockof
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Newbie who really needs help

To quote the OP:

"Boudoir photography: . . . I want to go all the way, but there's no one or any where to learn from."

Just joking with you Midg.

There is a big divide between being an aspiring beginner photographer and doing it for a living. I would have no usable advice on the progression from one to the other, other than possibly some formal training, a lot of practice, an apprenticeship, etc. . .

The cost to entry to become a "professional" photographer is very low. If you limit yourself to a specific type of shooting and don't have a studio, you can probably get started with equipment needs for about $10,000-$20,000. Which is about as cheap an investment in a "real" business as one can come by.

There are endless tutorials all over the internet, from YouTube to photography sites like this one.

My most important piece of advice. As a starting professional photographer your biggest and most time consuming job responsibilities are that you are a business person, accountant, sales person and marketing person. Somewhere down the list, you get to be a photographer. So, unless you are good at all the other more important things (in terms of achieving initial success) and enjoy them, then you may want to reconsider becoming a professional photographer.

Remember, just because a person is a good cook and loves to do it, doesn't mean they should open a restaurant. If more people understood this, then we wouldn't see the failure rates of restaurants as high as they are.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:38 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password