Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

vaaccess
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

I'm awaiting the arrival of a Canon 6D (upgrading from a Canon 50D) and am contemplating upgrading my flash.

I currently have a 580 EX MKI that seems to be working just fine. I have seen some people talking about how the 600 EX-RT is better for the 1D line of cameras, but not 100% sure how much of a benefit I'll see on a 6D.

Anyone have any experience/information to share? I searched through the forums and don't see a ton out there on this topic. I'll use it indoors as a primary flash and also outdoors for fill-flash...Typically always on-body...

Appreciate the input!
Mike

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:06 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

1st let me say I have a 5D3 with a 580ex1

but one of the features id consider upgrading to would be the Camera driven flash menu which came to the later Bodies with the EX2 flashes (and later)

now throw in the Radio master/slave function and the 600 would the way to go .

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:19 PM
wsheldon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

I've used a 580EX with my 6D for the past 6 months and it works fine, but as mentioned the advanced flash controls in the 6D menus don't support the older units. You need to use the on-flash controls to set second-curtain and high-speed sync, zoom, metering mode, etc. Not a huge impediment, but it is annoying. FEB can be set on the 6D using the Q button, though, even when using multiple flashes so that's helpful.

However, I just upgraded to a 600EX and it is world's better in every way. So much so that I just sprung for 2 more and the ST-E3 and I'm selling off all my older flash units at a significant loss. If you have the funds you can't go wrong upgrading, but the 580EX is very workable on the 6D so you could take your time.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:39 PM
vaaccess
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

wsheldon - nice testimonial.

I was searching and found this little video that I'm attempting to watch, but my DSL (don't laugh!) speed is killing me today so it's not loading: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/syl_arena_speedlite_600exrt_seminar.shtml

Anyway...

I really wanted to get the flash when I ordered the 6D today through the CLP program since it would have given me an extra 20% off, but...they were out of refurbished ones.

That said...I guess I'll watch and see if the 600-EX goes on sale or has a rebate or something soon. At $500 it's certainly not cheap and even though I could sell my 580EX MKI for...what...$150+?...it would still put the total difference at $350...

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:51 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

Apologies to your wallet, but a rebate on L lenses and speedlites just went into effect yesterday. The 600EX is now $450 from B&H, Amazon, etc. Expires the end of the month.

I'm trying to sell my 580EX (9+ with box) for $190 now - others have recently been listed and sold for around $200. No legit offers yet, though, so I may have to lower it a bit. Holding out for now.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:57 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

BTW, I came to the 6D from a 50D too. Still hanging onto the 50D for now, but it's getting awfully lonely in the closet since the 6D arrived. Really fun camera, and amazing how much less processing the images take to get great punch and clarity (and the 50D is no slouch). Enjoy!

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 06:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:58 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

wsheldon wrote:
I've used a 580EX with my 6D for the past 6 months and it works fine, but as mentioned the advanced flash controls in the 6D menus don't support the older units. You need to use the on-flash controls to set second-curtain and high-speed sync, zoom, metering mode, etc. Not a huge impediment, but it is annoying. FEB can be set on the 6D using the Q button, though, even when using multiple flashes so that's helpful.

However, I just upgraded to a 600EX and it is world's better in every way. So much so that I just sprung for 2
...Show more

+1 Sold off my 580 Mk1 and 430 Mk2 and pocket wizards, which just about covered two 600RT's.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:59 PM
vaaccess
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

wsheldon wrote:
Apologies to your wallet, but a rebate on L lenses and speedlites just went into effect yesterday. The 600EX is now $450 from B&H, Amazon, etc. Expires the end of the month.

I'm trying to sell my 580EX (9+ with box) for $190 now - others have recently been listed and sold for around $200. No legit offers yet, though, so I may have to lower it a bit. Holding out for now.

Compelling...Ugh...I guess this locks in the fact that I'll be selling my 50D + grip + stuff + 580EX so I can offset the cost of the flash. That plus the last bits of my astronomy gear that I'm selling to fund this shift should still keep me at +$ so I guess I should just get it and not complain about it...

Buying now.

Thanks for the input, all. Now i just need to be sure I know how to use all the new fancy features!

I will say that while painful...Very happy to continue to get incredible use out of my L glass that I bought several years ago when I first moved from the Digital Rebel XT to the 20D. It was a hefty investment (24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8) but the fact that I have never needed to update it has been awesome!

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:00 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

vaaccess wrote:
wsheldon - nice testimonial.

I was searching and found this little video that I'm attempting to watch, but my DSL (don't laugh!) speed is killing me today so it's not loading: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/syl_arena_speedlite_600exrt_seminar.shtml.

Good Info here

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:37 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

sivrajbm wrote:
Good Info here

+1 I'm a fan of Syl Arena, and found his book "Lighting for Digital Photography - from Snapshots to Great Shots" invaluable

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

I upgraded from a three-flash 580EX (I/II) + ST-E2 system to three 600EX-RT and ST-E2 last year. The main reason I upgraded was for the radio control. Also, the AF-assist pattern projected from the 600EX-RT is optimized for the 1DX/5DIII AF sensor pattern. They're great! OTOH, I used 580EX (I/II) with 6D and its prececessors for many years, with few complaints.

I think Wade's last point is most relevant, especially if you don't need an off-camera capability:

wsheldon wrote:
... If you have the funds you can't go wrong upgrading, but the 580EX is very workable on the 6D so you could take your time.

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:46 AM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

I don't have the 6D but the 5DIII but I'm pretty sure they are similar. I also used to have the 580 and also bought the 600. Although the 600 is better in so many ways, I found that I use my flash less since the noise of the newer cameras/FF is so much better than the 50D.

I say, wait and see and maybe look at the newer lenses in that 500 range.

When I need to use multiple flashes, I usually setup my studio. On location, I'm usually on the move so multiple flashes are used less.

Mar 04, 2014 at 01:00 PM
paulfeng
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

Mike, it seems from your last message that you've already made up your mind, but if not I'd suggest saving your money and sticking with the 580ex, particularly if you are going to stick with on-camera use. It seems to me that the only thing you're really missing is the ability to configure the flash from the camera's user-interface (if you are not going to take advantage of radio triggering).

That said, I'd encourage you to start working with off-camera flash (start out with the strobist website). Even in that case, I'd still suggest sticking with your 580ex. You can pick up a 90ex for about $60 (new from a third-party reseller at Amazon) and use that as an on-camera master for your now-off-camera 580ex, which should work fine for indoor applications. The master functions of the 90ex are all controlled via the camera's user-interface.

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:14 PM
vaaccess
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

paulfeng wrote:
Mike, it seems from your last message that you've already made up your mind, but if not I'd suggest saving your money and sticking with the 580ex, particularly if you are going to stick with on-camera use. It seems to me that the only thing you're really missing is the ability to configure the flash from the camera's user-interface (if you are not going to take advantage of radio triggering).

That said, I'd encourage you to start working with off-camera flash (start out with the strobist website). Even in that case, I'd still suggest sticking with your 580ex. You can pick
...Show more

Very fair. I did in fact order the 600EX-RT so that decision has been made.

A better understanding of light and strobes, etc, is something I'm deficient in and am indeed looking to mature. I'm going through the videos at the link I mentioned earlier and it's really making me want to try more than I have to this point. I guess the question is...Do I keep the 580EX MKI and use it as an optical slave or do I decide to go with the ST-E3-RT (?) for complete off-camera lighting when I need it?

At one point I tossed around the idea of getting some Alien Bees, but I really almost never do studio-ish work so always felt the portability of Speedlites might be the better way to go...That said...I definitely need to learn more in this space.

Thanks for all the input.

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:00 PM
silvestography

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New 6D - 580 EXI or 600 EX-RT?

The 600EX-RT is a worthwhile upgrade, even if only for the better build, zoom range and UI since you'd primarily use it on camera. I own one and rent others as needed, but I'm probably going to buy a few more this spring - think of it as "future-proofing" your system. That said, try renting a few and mess around with off camera flash. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.