1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2014 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Gunzorro wrote:
Chez -- Are you dense, or having a go at Dave? He's clearly said that the Canon DSLR video (aka, 5D2 et. al.) produced (for him) the quality of video recording previously available only by $50k cameras and systems.

C'mon dude, read the material as it's written.

Thanks for your rude childish remark...expected I guess.

What he was saying is that people who buy the camera for video buy more lens than people who buy the camera for stills. What I said is that is because the people who are using it primarily for video are the people who have previously used very expensive video systems ( $50,000 ) and they usually require many more lens than your normal consumer still photographer. Then I went on to say there are many magnitude more still photographers buying 1 or 2 lenses than there are high end videographers buying 6 lens.

Now tell me, what is so hard to comprehend here?

Mar 07, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Retro -- Having tried the 1DC, and pulled stills off the (brief 30 second grabs) footage, I can tell you the future is here, now. At least in it's beginning stage, and not yet at the consumer level. But it's coming.

I feel the key in is the processing/processor, and this is an area that I think is frequently overlooked in Canon's repertoire. They are essentially far in the lead of all other manufacturers in the is area of R&D. With the right processor, the current sensors can be made to do amazing things without a hardware upgrade, at least not the type many users are clamoring for. It may be possible soon to get 50MP images off a 12MP sensor! With added DR to please everyone. That will be the result of processing data, and I suspect that is the area that Canon has been laying low and keeping a low profile (under the guise of "video development" -- not that video isn't critical to future imaging, but it's a safe refuge from questions processing of imaging data.)

There are a couple ways to skin a digital cat. Building fancy hardware may not be the ultimate answer it seems to be (sorry, Sony!).

Anyhow, I'm confident we will see more sensor refinements, but more importantly, data processing refinements.

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

chez wrote:
Thanks for your rude childish remark...expected I guess.

What he was saying is that people who buy the camera for video buy more lens than people who buy the camera for stills. What I said is that is because the people who are using it primarily for video are the people who have previously used very expensive video systems ( $50,000 ) and they usually require many more lens than your normal consumer still photographer. Then I went on to say there are many magnitude more still photographers buying 1 or 2 lenses than there are high end videographers buying 6
...Show more

You've got the timeline of responses and emphasis slightly altered. Perhaps it's just a matter of the repartee.

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

chez wrote:
You are saying the videographers previously shelled out $50,000 for their systems...

No, that's wrong. People like me could not afford to shell out the $50K for the previous systems so we were unable to achieve some of the results we wanted. What changed was that with the DSLR / C100 route it is at least now affordable for many more people and so investing in more lenses also makes sense.

Most soccer moms are running around with the kit lens only, dragging the average of all the enthusiasts down to 1.2 lenses per body.

The videographers / film makers using the DSLRs for serious work need not only more lenses but also better lenses, so as well as the quantity increase, the value of each of those lenses also increases. They are far more likely to by an L than the soccer mom is.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:26 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Dave_EP wrote:
No, that's wrong. People like me could not afford to shell out the $50K for the previous systems so we were unable to achieve some of the results we wanted. What changed was that with the DSLR / C100 route it is at least now affordable for many more people and so investing in more lenses also makes sense.

Most soccer moms are running around with the kit lens only, dragging the average of all the enthusiasts down to 1.2 lenses per body.

The videographers / film makers using the DSLRs for serious work need not only more lenses but also
...Show more

My point is that there are far more lenses sold to amateur consumers than professional videographers, even though the average professional buys more lenses than the average soccer mom. There are just many magnitude more soccer moms out there than professional videographers.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

chez wrote:
My point is that there are far more lenses sold to amateur consumers than professional videographers, even though the average professional buys more lenses than the average soccer mom. There are just many magnitude more soccer moms out there than professional videographers.

Chez, this is true, and for once on this forum we agree. However, where Canon has to keep an eye on things is where those soccer moms migrate to other platforms, such as mobile phones. In addition your orders of magnitude are somewhat mitigated by the values involved.

How many soccer moms buying a 100D+Kit lens does it take to offset the profit from someone buying (say) a couple of 5D3s, even a couple of C100s with numerous (average of 6.3 per body) L lenses?

You can talk volume or you can talk profit margins. Both are valid and Canon needs both. There's much anti video rhetoric on this forum (and others) but the profits generated by the video buyers are helping to fund the profits that Canon use to plough back in to stills cameras that both enthusiast and soccer moms alike buy in larger numbers. Any improvement in video capability are criticised by stills photographers without any understanding of how that all feeds back within the overall eco system.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Access
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

retrofocus wrote:
I heard a similar way of saying before. It came from Kodak in regard to digital technology when they decided to stick to film.

Yes and that's why Canon is at least doing enough to try to stay on top. Canon knows the Kodak case all too well, I mean, they won (back then) by pushing digital. Kodak could have done the same, but lost by putting the short-term interest before the long-term.

Also the pulling of still frames out of video, I do this today, at least with decent results. They're good enough for online use. 2MP is fine for that, or even for making (small) prints if that's what you are into.

It's not a 'magic bullet', you still have to know what you are doing. Follow photographic principles, find good lighting, set up the shot correctly, and so on. But it's basically like having a 30fps burst mode, though not raw, and only 2MP. Future models could do something like the digital cameras of old, ie. that Olympus around the turn of the century that had pre-capture when you press the shutter, it was in essence always capturing frames and saved the last 10 or so captures only when the shutter was pressed. Meaning if I was doing sports, I could follow the action and press the shutter only when something interesting happened. Global (electronic) shutter, some other advancements are helpful here.

Mar 07, 2014 at 02:09 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.