New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Very lame interview IMO, the most important question, how Canon is doing in the sensor department, has not been even brought up. The Canon execs are just giving vague and sometimes conflicting replies, yes, still is important, see, we have the latest innovation for video; mirrorless is important, DSLR is also important too.

It's all corporate double-talk with not much substance in this entire interview.

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:13 AM
asiafish
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

So many people on internet fora complain about Canon sensors, yet so many of Canon shooters keep getting incredible results with our crappy, outdated sensors.

Does the Nikon D610 have better dynamic range than the Canon 6D? Is the Nikon D800 higher resolution than the Canon 5D3? They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and many times the advantages just don't matter all that much.

Mar 04, 2014 at 10:24 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

asiafish wrote:
So many people on internet fora complain about Canon sensors, yet so many of Canon shooters keep getting incredible results with our crappy, outdated sensors.

Does the Nikon D610 have better dynamic range than the Canon 6D? Is the Nikon D800 higher resolution than the Canon 5D3? They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and many times the advantages just don't matter all that much.

I am still using the meanwhile quite outdated sensor of my 5D MkII camera and get good photos. I could go further and say that I can still get good photos taken with a Rebel XT, too. But...sensor technology has quite advanced, and I would love to have a high MP/high DR FF sensor in my Canon DSLR. I tested the D800E, and the difference in resolution and also in DR was simply breathtaking. I wouldn't have hesitated to get the D800E, but my vestment in good Canon lenses keeps me from doing it (I see the Sony A7R as better alternative now, and I am seriously considering getting one, just waiting to see if improved EF lens mount adapters show up soon). So the answers to your questions is yes in all cases.

Since you seem to be vested mostly in Leica gear and lenses, the Sony A7R might be of consideration, too?

Mar 04, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

I always think these corporate interviews are a bit like talking to the Delphic oracle - the listener has to interpret the answers and each person will do it differently. No one could expect Canon to say that their sensors are inferior to Sony - after all they don't consider it to be true or relevant - and most of their customers would not know what they are talking about, so of course they are not going to drill into areas where they have no advantage. They are only going to cover the positives. Only a company in serious trouble is going to admit they made mistakes or could do better etc and Canon is certainly not in trouble. Like most of these kinds of interviews I don't really take them all that seriously, but clearly video is VERY important to Canon.

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Must have missed it. Where in the Interview did the Canon guy say he was also
hoping for World Peace?

Mar 04, 2014 at 11:57 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Will be interesting to see what the 7D2 sensor is like. The rumored 5D3 ISO with 24MP APS-C pixel density sounds pretty good to me. That would be a heck of a 60MP FF sensor as well.

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:29 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Rangefinder wide angles often don't play well on cameras like the A7R, and though the standard (I'm a 50mm guy) and telephotos do work well, you need fancy adapters if you want close focusing (which the Leica doesn't do either).

If I were to buy something like an A7R it would be with the Sony Zeiss lenses made for it. I went with a 6D and assorted Canon glass for color and travel as fast autofocus, macro and zoom capabilities fill the gaps of things the Leica is not suited for. A7R would be fine for travel as well, but with matching AF lenses would be more expensive than the Canon. I thought about it, and may move to mirrorless with the next generation, but so far I'm very happy with the results I get from the 6D.

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

ggreene wrote:
Will be interesting to see what the 7D2 sensor is like. The rumored 5D3 ISO with 24MP APS-C pixel density sounds pretty good to me. That would be a heck of a 60MP FF sensor as well.

Even with 100% efficiency could an APS-C sensor even match the 5D3 sensor for mid-tone SNR

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:38 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

asiafish wrote:
Rangefinder wide angles often don't play well on cameras like the A7R, and though the standard (I'm a 50mm guy) and telephotos do work well, you need fancy adapters if you want close focusing (which the Leica doesn't do either).

If I were to buy something like an A7R it would be with the Sony Zeiss lenses made for it. I went with a 6D and assorted Canon glass for color and travel as fast autofocus, macro and zoom capabilities fill the gaps of things the Leica is not suited for. A7R would be fine for travel as well, but with
...Show more

I can see your point here. I consider the A7R, too and might also use it in addition to my existing 5D MkII. I see the advantage of the A7R especially in the option to use all kind of alternate lenses, ranging from FD lenses to Leica lenses. The electronic viewfinder with the reddish marked areas for DoF and focus adjustment are great and allow precise MF. I personally have no interest in any of the Sony lenses - I would buy the A7R only for its sensor and the compatibility with other lenses. As you said the small size and its light weight make it ideal for travel and as secondary camera body.

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:00 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

skibum5 wrote:
Even with 100% efficiency could an APS-C sensor even match the 5D3 sensor for mid-tone SNR

I have no idea. I'm not privy to there internal development team. I was simply commenting on the rumor. At some point in time Canon is going to release a new sensor and the 7D2 sounds like a good starting platform for that technology whatever it is. I'm hoping for advancements in high ISO.

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

What a bunch of crap from Canon.

EBH

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:31 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

For a company that has focused on Video the past few years you would think that Canon would know how to make a class leading EVF by now.

IMHO Canon should scrap all their Non Full Frame DSLR Bodies and Introduce a killer Interchangeable Lens Mirrorless Platform. They can start with the Mirrorless EF-S lens line and a High Speed 1.6x sensor body.

Imagine a Fuji X-T1 like body with an awesome 24mp 1.6x sensor. Awesome EVF and AF performance and 10 fps at least, weather sealing, the works, all in a small, compact and light body. That would be perfect for birding and action sports. They can add a really affordable and small body for entry level.

The reason that Mirrorless cameras are not that popular in north america is that the two major manufacturers in that market, Canon and Nikon, have NOT introduced any mirroless IL bodies that really perform, in image quality, AF and speed, as well as their top DSLRs (or even their entry level models). That is fact. So Canon's exec's excuse is just baloney.

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:26 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Canon should speak with some new convincing products rather than words from management that sound like Kodak employees in the 90ies. The current management clearly is a serious problem standing in the way for a necessary renewal of this company, this interview just proves it.

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:13 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

eosfun wrote:
Canon should speak with some new convincing products rather than words from management that sound like Kodak employees in the 90ies. The current management clearly is a serious problem standing in the way for a necessary renewal of this company, this interview just proves it.

Given the number of patents put up by the company, I am with you on this one. While Canon has the technical prowess to produce some really kick a** products, they have not done so in the past few years.

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:57 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

I too am disappointed that the reporter didn't ask about Canon's sleepy sensor development.. Or maybe he did ask, but no answer was given?

And if so, maybe Canon still doesn't have anything on the horizon?

I guess my A7R will be my main body for a long long time.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:08 AM
griffithphoto

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

asiafish wrote:
So many people on internet fora complain about Canon sensors...

Awesome! You get bonus points for using the word fora in a post.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:18 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Rickuz wrote:
I too am disappointed that the reporter didn't ask about Canon's sleepy sensor development.. Or maybe he did ask, but no answer was given?

When confronted with a question regarding innovation and/or sensor the Canon Execs always revert to talking about the 70D's Dual Pixel AF sensor as their greatest achievement. The interviewer should reply by saying that Olympus has great Live View AF in several models, heck, even Panasonic and now Fuji.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:42 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Sneakyracer wrote:
When confronted with a question regarding innovation and/or sensor the Canon Execs always revert to talking about the 70D's Dual Pixel AF sensor as their greatest achievement.

The irony is Imaging Resource still finds 70D AF slow:

"Even after the firmware update, the EOS M's autofocus times are still slow compared to off-chip systems, and also even to many contrast detection systems. This is also true of the 70D's on-chip phase detection, at about a half second for a full autofocus cycle. The 70D is noticeably faster than that of the EOS M, but still quite a bit slower than even consumer level phase detection systems using a separate sensor."

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Access
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

I don't know that it really was a great interview, just about average really.
I get the sense that they were playing softball because they want to be invited back.

The sensor thing is interesting, but I don't think people would be complaining yet for the existance of Sony EXMOR or whatever it's called. I'm more interested in video convergence, the new type of focus, and so on. It's obvious to the outside observer that Canon's mirrorless was DOA by design. Mention of DO was curiously absent, I guess Canon has given up on that; Canon has done some good things in the last 2 years like the 40mm pancake lens and I'd like to hear more about those types of things (ie. I'd love to see a series of pancakes like the 14mm, 17mm, 20mm available for micro four thirds).

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

The two pancakes they've done so far are the 'simple' ones, where the focal length matches the focal flange distance and diagonal sensor size. So, ~40mm on the full-frame system, and ~20mm on the mirrorless system. Doing anything else will increase complexity and cost significantly, and likely won't provide any benefit over 'standard' lenses. They might be smaller and/or lighter, but they'll also be slower and quite possibly show the same vignetting issues. The EF-M 22/2 is the worst in that regard, as the vignetting never clears up when stopping down.

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:53 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.