New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

This is a follow-up to their original CP+ interview. This one is more interesting, with more direct questions and fewer rehearsed answers.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/03/canon-interview-we-don-t-see-the-smartphone-as-an-enemy

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:02 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

...and zero questions or news about where Canon is really behind - in FF sensors. But they don't stop talking about this dual pixel hybrid AF as if this is a huge thing. Maybe for video.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:06 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

retrofocus wrote:
...and zero questions or news about where Canon is really behind - in FF sensors. But they don't stop talking about this dual pixel hybrid AF as if this is a huge thing. Maybe for video.

They weren't asked specifically but Canon actually proffered this tidbit:

"There are many development tasks around that goal [driving evolution], such as increasing resolution, sensitivity, dynamic range and so on. Ultimately what we want is to have a camera that incorporates all of this. With unlimited resolution, unlimited sensitivity and unlimited dynamic range you can take photos of anything that exists on this earth. That's our ultimate goal."

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Whenever confronted with Canon's lack of innovation the executive refer's to the D70's dual pixel AF.

That is sad. Nikon has had Awesome live view AF in the 1 series for a while. Now FUJi has it too in the X-T1 and also Olympus has some awesome live view AF. Panasonic too. So Live View AF is no big deal nowadays.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:36 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

I didn't find it that great and Barney Britton let them get away with murder in that first question and should have focused on sensor innovation and hammered them hard.

There was a better interview at imaging resources but again nothing about sensors.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:37 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

snapsy wrote:
They weren't asked specifically but Canon actually proffered this tidbit:

"There are many development tasks around that goal [driving evolution], such as increasing resolution, sensitivity, dynamic range and so on. Ultimately what we want is to have a camera that incorporates all of this. With unlimited resolution, unlimited sensitivity and unlimited dynamic range you can take photos of anything that exists on this earth. That's our ultimate goal."

This is very generalized with nothing concise. I agree with Pixel Perfect above that the interviewer should have better inquired here and not let them get out of this question with a video-related answer.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

retrofocus wrote:
This is very generalized with nothing concise. I agree with Pixel Perfect above that the interviewer should have better inquired here and not let them get out of this question with a video-related answer.

It at least demonstrates it's on their radar. As for how hard the interviewers pushed, there's a delicate balance between getting the answers you want and not being invited to another interview.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:47 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

snapsy wrote:
It at least demonstrates it's on their radar. As for how hard the interviewers pushed, there's a delicate balance between getting the answers you want and not being invited to interview again.

I still think Canon weaseled its way out of there. Possible that they were asked more directly in regard to sensor development and denied any comment. So this interview didn't give me any news. It will be forgotten in a few days.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:50 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

I'd have to assume that the interviewer realized that sensor resolution and dynamic range are pretty sensitive topics for Canon- i.e., he avoided asking the question directly as it might have very well shut the interviewees down. And we know the answer to the question, in any case- if Canon hasn't officially announced it, all he's going to get is a longer-worded version of 'no comment' and 'we're working on it'.

He can't exactly look them straight in the eye and ask 'you guys have sucked at sensors lately- when and how are you going to stop sucking?', can he?

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:02 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

That was no interview, just marketing bla bla bla. I love the phrase given by canon "20-30MP stills cameras being the norm." Umm, your flagship is 18 (was 21)

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:04 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Paul Tessier wrote:
That was no interview, just marketing bla bla bla. I love the phrase given by canon "20-30MP stills cameras being the norm." Umm, your flagship is 18 (was 21)

Nikon's flagship is 16.2mp. Yes, the brand new not yet for sale D4S is still 16.2mp. I'm no maths genius but I'm sure that's less than 18mp.

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:09 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

retrofocus wrote:

hmm, I'm not sure what Canon would be expected to say if they were directly asked "when will you have more megapixels" or "when will you improve dynamic range". It's not like their managing director is going to whip out a sensor roadmap and describe precisely what they have planned. I consider it significant that they teased out as much as they did. They were being probed about stills performance and responded in a way that acknowledged they understood what some are asking for. I've worked extensively with Japanese companies in the past so maybe I have a different appreciation on what it takes to get questions answered. You've got to be circuitous.

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:13 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Bones74 wrote:
Nikon's flagship is 16.2mp. Yes, the brand new not yet for sale D4S is still 16.2mp. I'm no maths genius but I'm sure that's less than 18mp.

The D3x is 24.5. At least that one falls in the range given.

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:18 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Reminds me of the phone conference from a few years back
http://fakechuckwestfall.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/conference-call-to-canon-inc-masaya-maeda/

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:24 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Is there that large of a percentage of shooters; Canon's consumer base or is it just a niche; a small group of shooters. that need/want higher MPs and DR...

All this talk that 'Canon must...' is really just wishful thinking, video integration is clearly one of Canon's main focus points, they kind of fell into this with the 5D2 sensor; it's early successes in video, and this dual-pixel tech is just a followup. Their end game is not to serve the few, it's to serve/satisfy the masses...that's where the bigger profits lay.

Stills shooting is for a bit, and may for quite awhile, take more of a back seat role, and as 4K and higher res video takes hold, the bigger market; visual electronics, will expand into more profit. Stills as a visual expression will not go away but how we capture them might, once the video frame matches the still image.

Traditional photography as we've known it will die and we will have to cull through thousands, millions, even more images to find that perfect moment...for display. I've no doubt Canon will either make the necessary sensor advances or move to a 3rd party solution...before they fail; go out of business.

The 'real' issue is their current business model/plan just doesn't sit well with those that always need/want more; ask what have you done for me lately. So the complaints rise by a select few, some/most hope sensors meet the select few's needs/wants but at the same time also hope tech doesn't advance tooooo fast, as budgets for accessories; comp hardware/software, etc. don't exist or are very thin...

There's a big picture, it's not cracking into little pieces ready to fall from the sky, we have killer gear in our hands right now. With a plethora of choices to meet most all requirements, you just have to find the will 'balls' to satisfy those needs/want's.

Some complain, some leverage every last once out of our gear, some just enjoy shooting, have fun. We're not going to get any specifics out of Canon until they announce it.

Jerry
aka happy canon camper with great expectations, living with a fixed hobbyist budget

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 07:29 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:25 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Is the D3X still for sale? As far as I'm aware the D4 and now D4S is the Nikon flagship. That's what they told me today anyway.

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:27 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

snapsy wrote:
It at least demonstrates it's on their radar. As for how hard the interviewers pushed, there's a delicate balance between getting the answers you want and not being invited to another interview.

But he didn't even ask about their sensor technology. He could have phrased it in a diplomatic way and asked do they have any answer to Sony's patents which seem to lock up their tech quite tightly? Maybe he could have also asked had they thought of say using Toshiba sensors if they can't compete with their own technology. Canon needs to face a few home truths rather than be molly coddled.

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

retrofocus wrote:

actually they actually did bring up DR this time and more MP

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:43 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

BTW here is a link to imaging resources interview which talks about mirrorless and 70D's DPAF
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/27/canon-qa-future-eos-mirrorless-challenges-on-sensor-af

and the more detailed discussion with (real) Chuck Westfall about DPAF
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/27/canon-dual-pixel-cmos-af-autofocus-secrets-of-the-canon-70d-explained

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Great Canon interview on dpreview

Still photography will be around for many, many years and co-exit with video. Neither will replace the other. Certainly not in my lifetime.

Mar 03, 2014 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.