Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Lightroom 5 newbie

JimRU
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lightroom 5 newbie

I just got Lightroom 5 and have never used it before. I'm very familiar with Photoshop, so I'm not concerned about figuring out the methods of editing photos. My questions are about organization (including what to do with photos already on the computer). Has anyone found a good video that explains these basic issues? I've watched a few videos on YouTube, but there was a lot of conflicting information. Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:49 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lightroom 5 newbie

I'm sure there are lots of videos and opinions on the best way to organize photos but everyone's brain works differently and spend some time thinking about how you think and would want to recall specific photos. I personally use a vault->year->month-year->month-date-year->image where the image is yearmonthdate_hourmin_sequence.{nef,jpg}. keywording is your friend.

for images already on the computer, pick where your new 'vault' will be and *copy* them there (via LR's import dialog). you'll want to copy them because you can rest assured you'll change your method of storage (the hierarchy) so all you need to do is blow away the vault and re-import. You'll want a backup strategy too.

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Lightroom 5 newbie

YouTube the Lightroom channel . That has many very good (short ) videos about many aspects of LR . Don't just look at the LR 5 videos either . Many (most) things from earlier versions still carry over in much the same way .

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:40 PM
JcarPhoto

p.1 #4 · Lightroom 5 newbie

i found these videos to be very useful:

http://tv.adobe.com/show/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-5/

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:06 PM
JimRU
• •
p.1 #5 · Lightroom 5 newbie

Thanks for the responses -- very helpful!

Mar 04, 2014 at 06:51 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lightroom 5 newbie

Consider whether or not you want other software to access your photos. e.g. there is merit in letting Nikon software find all of the Nikon shots together, and Canon software find all of the Canon shots together, so that you can use them to reveal info that Lr and Ps will not (such as the active focus sensors). These programs look better when they are not full of blank boxes representing the other brands photos. The best way to achieve this is to retain some sort of folder structure for the photo collection.

Then you'll get conflicting info about organisation because different users may have very different needs. e.g. One shoots specific events whereas another shoots a bit of everything and anything.

At this point you are probably ready to Import/Add your photos into Lr. This will leave them wherever they are whereas Import/Move will put them where Lr wants to put them and you'll lose control of your folder structure.

Once you have imported your photos into Lr you should absolulutely avoid shifting any of them with any other software, including the operating system tools. This will prevent breaking the link between the photos and the Lr catalog, which does not expect them to be moved.

It pays to have one folder on each drive that all of the photos sit beneath in whatever subfolder arrangement you think will work. That's because if you ever have to retrieve the photos from a backup or transfer them to a different drive then you will only have to tell Lr where that parent folder is and it will find all of the photos. Otherwise you have to tell Lr many times where various photos are.

I choose to not use sidecar files and in fact I actively delete them. I rely on the facts that (a) Lr keeps all of that info and more in its catalog and (b) I have lots of backups of the catalog on various drives. Sidecar files slow down Lr - especially on hard drives - because they require the drive heads to be shifted away from where the photos are, particularly in later edits after other files have been written to the drive.

I also maintain a single Lr catalog with all of the photos because this gives Lr (and therefore me) the best chance of finding whatever I want to find. Lr can only use one catalog at a time but it can cover multiple drives.

In terms of finding and organising photos within Lr you have control over the use of keywords, collections, ratings and labels. Lr will automatically find most of the metadata that already exists within digital camera files, and that data will get you going until you set up and apply the others. That extra data allocation and entry gobbles up time but later on it will save you heaps of time too.

With regard to keywords, start simple and add complexity only when you feel it is necessary. Chances are that you don't really need to use keywords to find one and only one relevant photo because if it finds 10 or 20 then it is still easy to pick the one that you need. However, finding 10 or 20 still makes life a lot easier than having Lr find hundreds or thousands because you didn't use any keywords at all.

- Alan

Mar 04, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lightroom 5 newbie

My own folder structure is based on camera model and then a rating number. That way any software can find all photos from a particular camera and find the best of them.

I rename all photos during or before import into Lr as follows:

camera#yyyymmdd#hhmmss#fffiiii.ext

That's for the camera model, year, month, day and time of capture, camera folder number and image number (which combine to tell me the long term photo count).

This info is available to any software and myself just by looking at a folder contents.

I used to add comments at the end but I found that prevents the Lr renaming tool from finding the image number.

Mar 04, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

egd5
• • •
p.1 #8 · Lightroom 5 newbie

Alan 321 has a lot of really great info there. Read it slowly and let it all sink in. One point of clarification though. When using the import/move function, LR will only move the photos where you tell it to. There will be a default location, I believe, but you can tell it to put the pics wherever you want.

Mar 04, 2014 at 03:49 PM
mogud
• • •
p.1 #9 · Lightroom 5 newbie

JimRU wrote:
I just got Lightroom 5 and have never used it before. I'm very familiar with Photoshop, so I'm not concerned about figuring out the methods of editing photos. My questions are about organization (including what to do with photos already on the computer). Has anyone found a good video that explains these basic issues? I've watched a few videos on YouTube, but there was a lot of conflicting information. Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Can'thelp you with a video because all the ones I looked at were not that good. I do look at Laura Shoe's site because I find her very good at explaining things in video format.

What I've used extensively is Scott Kelby's books on LR. His writing style is very good and he gives you what he does. He also explains in detail file and folder structure and what to do with images already on your computer. I would recommend looking at his book on LR 5.

Mar 04, 2014 at 06:44 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #10 · Lightroom 5 newbie

As mentioned, how you organize is a personal thing. The use of Lightroom is not relevant to this. You should have the files organized in a logical way, independent of the application. Although the camera based structure Alan described works for some, for most it just complicates things. LR does not care what camera you use.

LR has powerful search functions that allow you to search by date, camera, lens, keyword, and many other metadata fields. However, I want my folder and naming convention to allow me to find the pictures of my daughters 21st birthday without the use of any software assistance besides the disk organization. All software goes obsolete eventually and you can be certain that the new one will not be compatible with whatever you had before.

For me, I have a mixture of family events, Landscape day trips, etc, arranged as follows: One catalog, a folder for the decade, folder for year, within each year a folder for each shoot that is named with the month-day-event "02-27-New-York-vacation". I also rename the files, but the name describes the event and ends with the camera generated number

Mar 08, 2014 at 03:25 AM
KayakerChuck

p.1 #11 · Lightroom 5 newbie

Thanks! I'm new to LR and have some studying & thinking to do. Good points to ponder here!

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:53 PM
JJBub
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Lightroom 5 newbie

I agree with JcarPhoto above. The Julieann Kost tutorials are terrific and free.

Two others I like (not free): Tim Grey and Luminous-Landscape (Michael Reichmann and Jeff Schewe).

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:03 PM
bogeybrown

p.1 #13 · Lightroom 5 newbie

I got the Scott Kelby book, which is a nice reference to be able to flip back forth. When you purchase the book, you get access to a series of tutorial videos on his website as well.

Mar 27, 2014 at 09:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password