Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Camera for quadcopter?

BrianP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Camera for quadcopter?

Cicopo wrote:
For those thinking about trying this you can buy flight simulators to learn how to fly without destroying several copters. Both Real Flight & Phoenix have a multi rotor copter in their programs. Also note that you can't just buy & fly to use them for commercial photography due to very strict regulations.

I have read that some people are "giving" the pictures away for free, but you need to have post processing (at a cost) to get the pictures. This is obviously being done to help avoid the regulations. I have read some other creative ideas that people have had too. This just seemed to be the most prevalent.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:58 PM
Cicopo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Camera for quadcopter?

I have no doubt people are stretching the law to suit their needs & I am just pointing out that as the market for these quad copter / camera ships starts going main stream they shouldn't be looked as another way to do side jobs to pay for your new hobby. As for work arounds they will only work until something goes wrong or a legit licensed business gets wind of someone stealing their work. Way back when my primary business was importing car parts one of the inspectors I dealt with regularly pointed out that when a competitor sees you selling to cheaply he suspects you're smuggling & & will report you.

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Camera for quadcopter?

UgashikBob wrote:
All the lightweight action cams have fisheye. I have mobius, gopro, and drift hd and prefer the mobius because of weight/cost. You can deal with the fisheye in post. I have also flown my RX100 which has better quality w/o fisheye but more weight and the crash factor made me very nervous. I can buy a

"Crash factor" is almost nonexistant if you have a modern quad with the different stabilization features and don't try to do anything too daring or reckless. Learn at your own pace, and always stick with the starter or beginner modes of flight when you have expensive gear on your quad. Minimize time spent near the ground, takeoff and landing is really the most dangerous part. Don't stay too close to the ground, ground-effect (especially over terrain) is where most accidents happen today; people trying to get in too low or too close to terrain that can affect your craft in weird ways; at a low altitude where you and the auto-stabilization have little time to recover or adjust for an anomaly.

Phantom, 350QX, today even the small modern quads today have a 'starter' mode that can be flown by just about anyone; I've flown my 350QX in moderate wind (15mph, 25mph gusts) and still found it to be perfectly stable.

Mar 04, 2014 at 06:50 PM
gene A.
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Camera for quadcopter?

Cicopo wrote:
I have no doubt people are stretching the law to suit their needs & I am just pointing out that as the market for these quad copter / camera ships starts going main stream they shouldn't be looked as another way to do side jobs to pay for your new hobby. As for work arounds they will only work until something goes wrong or a legit licensed business gets wind of someone stealing their work. Way back when my primary business was importing car parts one of the inspectors I dealt with regularly pointed out that when a competitor sees
...Show more

We seem to be getting a little off topic here but I think it's a good discussion so if people are reading this the information should be accurate. If you are interested in the present regulations with regards to Drones or UAV's then this is good read.

http://dronelawjournal.com/

Mar 04, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Camera for quadcopter?

That's a very interesting read but only applicable to the US. I've read several discussions about different regulations in different countries & here in Canada the laws are very specific about both R/C aircraft & their use commercially. Since this forum has members all over the world I think it's a good idea to point out that buying a quad & hoping to pay for it etc by hopefully getting some real estate work may not work out as planned.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-brochures-uav-2270.htm

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=117517

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nathan Hobbs
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Camera for quadcopter?

I fly a DJI Phantom,
I use a small canon Point and shoot running CHDK and an intervolmeter script to take a picture every 3 seconds. Results are decent in good light. Im not using any FPV however I just do my best to point the craft at my subject and check the reel when I land.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:32 PM
unfaix

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Camera for quadcopter?

Here's a video of me tuning a home made brushless gimbal on my quad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C2nbEzZwvM

Here's me flying with a cc3d flight controller that I made from schematics and parts on the openpilot's site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLE5T0diPL4

You can see the difference between camera fixed on the frame versus one on a gimbal.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:41 PM
gene A.
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Camera for quadcopter?

I really appreciate everyones input here, it's not optimum but I found this deal on a camera cheaper than a GoPro better image quality and if I sell off the zoom I'll be into the camera for about $100. It also has an available 18-35mm zoom which I might consider at some point. Camera is light about 300g with a lens accepts an infrared remote and has video out for FPV.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823585-REG/Nikon_27565_1_J1_Mirrorless_Digital.html

Mar 07, 2014 at 07:58 PM
VetraLens
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Camera for quadcopter?

gene A. wrote:
I really appreciate everyones input here, it's not optimum but I found this deal on a camera cheaper than a GoPro better image quality and if I sell off the zoom I'll be into the camera for about $100. It also has an available 18-35mm zoom which I might consider at some point. Camera is light about 300g with a lens accepts an infrared remote and has video out for FPV.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823585-REG/Nikon_27565_1_J1_Mirrorless_Digital.html

I came into this thread to suggest that exact package, only last I'd seen, it was at $249. $229 is a great deal.

I'm also interested in it for the same reason. I'd love to get into aerial still photography and was looking for a lightweight cam with high IQ that might work on the DJI Phantom. I'm interested to see how the J1 works out for you.

Mar 08, 2014 at 04:43 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password