Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Camera for quadcopter?

gene A.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera for quadcopter?

I need a camera that meets the following criteria, and although I have never used anything but Canon cameras I am open to suggestion. I am looking for a P&S Camera something compact.

1) A camera that goes to 24mm or at least 28mm on the wide end.

2) Must have video out

3) must be able to use a remote either infrared or wired.

4) 1080P video capture at 30FPS or at least 24FPS

5) GPS would be helpful but not required.

I wanted to use a canon powershot, the sx260 HS looked good but it doesn't look like any of the powershot cameras can use a remote of any kind so if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Thanks

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:11 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera for quadcopter?

http://gopro.com

Weight has to be a main consideration.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera for quadcopter?

A lot of quads for instance the 350QX already comes with an anti-vibration gopro mount.

The anti-vibration part is important any video or even still photography you do will suffer from that.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:32 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera for quadcopter?

I've read conflicting reports about the latest GoPro Hero 3+ cameras being focus optimized for 6-8 feet from the camera, and not achieving infinity focus. Definitely something to look into before making a purchase.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:38 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera for quadcopter?

A met a guy in town that built a quad copter. He was heading to the beach to fly it when I was heading to the beach to take photos. We started talking copters and cameras and before you know it he's taking video of me taking photos of him.. I will try to post some later.

He was using a gopro and getting awesome video. Don't know about stills.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:38 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera for quadcopter?

There is a lengthy thread on the GoPro 3+ here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2011658

Are you intending of doing FPV or just video & stills?

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:54 PM
gene A.
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera for quadcopter?

I need the video out for FPV, I am using a pretty large quadcopter a Torbo Ace X830. It will carry a payload of 2.5lbs but the battery will be about half that weight depending on how large a battery I use. I have an EOS-M I was going to use but thought something cheaper and lighter might be good most of the time thats why I listed the above criteria. A GoPro weighs about 80 Grams, and EOS-M about 400 grams with the 22mm or about 500 grams with a zoom lens. I was looking for something in between. 200-300 grams with still image quality better than a GoPro and without the fisheye, I beleive a wide and with a 24mm wide angle is common these days but something wider might be useful. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:25 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera for quadcopter?

I have the DJI (smaller than yours), and the GoPro works nicely on it with FPV.

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:49 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera for quadcopter?

I thought I would include a couple of links with the DJI and GoPro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LxwYzaUFKk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfoLYTKObiU

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:52 PM
gene A.
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera for quadcopter?

I have the DJI Phantom 2 Vision, but I wouldn't say that the camera it comes with is as good as a GoPro which is why I purchased the larger quadcopter to fly a better camera.

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera for quadcopter?

DJI, FPV....too many TLA's (three letter acronyms)

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera for quadcopter?

DJI is just the brand but FPV stands for First Person View. The person flying the plane or copter flies using the camera's output to either a monitor or pair of goggles. He sees things as if he's in the plane / copter rather than by looking at it from his position on the ground. It's becoming very popular & is getting cheaper all the time.

Mar 04, 2014 at 01:39 AM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera for quadcopter?

I've got the gopro hero3 black plus or whatever the wireless version is. It's exceptionally cool, and teeny tiny - frighteningly small. The wifi is indispensable in that you can view and operate the functions from your mobile device.

When I think about it - I'd assume an ipad would be in there too. I've used my windows phone and it's great, although I've not tested it for distance. I've been maybe 20+ yards away - so you'd have to check the specs or somebody who really knows what they're talking about! It also comes with a rudimentary controller (power, record & little LCD panel) but the mobile app has everything (and more) you could want without having to go through the crazy menus (2 button toggle mania!) on the camera. It turns it into a real camera.

As mentioned - the anti-vibration mount would be very necessary. I've had great luck using it for time-lapse stuff, which also might be a consideration for you, eliminating some of the problems introduced by vibration in video. I can't see any other device that would work in this particular situation.

In fact, I started getting an itch to use it for this...

Oh yeah! Although they give you lots of goodies with the gopro, you MUST get the Wasabi battery set when you get the camera. The batteries go for very little time depending on what you're doing. You'll want a proper wall charger and spare batteries, even if you're barely using the camera.

Mar 04, 2014 at 03:23 AM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera for quadcopter?

Gene:
I'm pleased with the $70 Mobius I use for a couple reasons. Takes 1080P video and stills and weighs less than the gopro. Has survived some hard crashes and that is the reason I will probably never fly my DLSR's. If you don't crash you will truly be in ratified air.

Mar 04, 2014 at 03:41 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera for quadcopter?

Bob, Cannot wait to see the footage you get with that thing!

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:00 AM
gene A.
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera for quadcopter?

I was hoping to find a good quality P&S Camera maybe one of the cheap waterproof shock proof cameras, but I haven't found one that accepts a remote. I don't want the fisheye the GoPro, or Sony POV deliver. I thought posting here might get me a quick answer but it' beginning to look like what I'm looking for might not exist.

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:03 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera for quadcopter?

Last night I scanned through the pages at RC Canada but there wasn't anything helpful relative to your inquiry. I did a quick look at RC Groups too & again nothing recent. Seems everyone is concentrating on the camera used to fly rather than one to shoot photos.

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:14 PM
gene A.
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera for quadcopter?

I appreciate your help. Thanks

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:20 PM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camera for quadcopter?

gene:
All the lightweight action cams have fisheye. I have mobius, gopro, and drift hd and prefer the mobius because of weight/cost. You can deal with the fisheye in post. I have also flown my RX100 which has better quality w/o fisheye but more weight and the crash factor made me very nervous. I can buy a bunch of Mobius for the price of a RX100. I would recommend the cheap route unless you have a lot of flight time. Don't know the extent required for remote control but you can trigger shutter remotely if you have the channels available on your receiver . I just start the video at the beginning of the flight and then take what stills I want in post processing.
The fpv camera Cicopo mentioned is usually hard mounted in order to give the operator a better feel to fly it with googles or remote display. If you want to do stills/video you will need a camera that is gimbal mounted to eliminate craft motion.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camera for quadcopter?

For those thinking about trying this you can buy flight simulators to learn how to fly without destroying several copters. Both Real Flight & Phoenix have a multi rotor copter in their programs. Also note that you can't just buy & fly to use them for commercial photography due to very strict regulations.

Mar 04, 2014 at 04:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password