Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon FD lens kit on digital body: Canon or Fuji?

zlgragg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon FD lens kit on digital body: Canon or Fuji?

Which way would you go: edMika FD to EOS adapter or Metabones FD to Fuji X Speedbooster?

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:45 PM
carcrafter22

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon FD lens kit on digital body: Canon or Fuji?

Ex canon user here.

Fuji for me.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:09 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon FD lens kit on digital body: Canon or Fuji?

I prefer my FD kit on the a7, and before that it was an NEX-7, so neither for me.

But if you're set on either Canon or Fuji, then I would evaluate what lenses you're using and how comfortable you are disassembling them. Some conversions are easier that others. I helped a friend through the FD 85L conversion and it was not a simple thing. With the Fuji, the adapters work with a minimum of fuss (some need to be shimmed if you want MFD and infinity at the hard stop). A speedbooster won't need to be shimmed, but you may need to rotate the lens in the speedbooster to adjust.

I haven't used the FD SB, but I have a Leica-R to NEX I use and it does well with some slower lenses, but the CA and fringing with faster lenses (f/2, 1.4) was bad enough that I was very happy not have that as my only alternative.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:25 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon FD lens kit on digital body: Canon or Fuji?

I assume you already have both Canon and Fuji cameras, otherwise I'd suggest Sony A7 as well. I think the A7 is the way to go with FD lenses.

I haven't used the Ed Mika adapter but I have converted a few FD lenses to Canon EF mount. What FD lenses do you have ? Some FD lenses will hit the mirror of a 5D after conversion (55 1.2 I know, but there are others too) and the Ed Mika adapters are not cheap, so for some of the lesser FD lenses that would put the combined price for lens and adapter past the cost of an equal or better lens with a mount that can be adapted to EF more easily.

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:27 PM
zlgragg
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon FD lens kit on digital body: Canon or Fuji?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm shooting Canon and Fuji, but don't mind giving the Sony a try - especially with the very flexible Sony A7 already reaching close to $1300 on the boards...
Thanks for the input on the SB with wide open performance, and also the occasional difficulty for adapting some lenses with edMika mounts. Those cons are quite significant for me.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:00 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon FD lens kit on digital body: Canon or Fuji?

I'm using the A7r and NEX-7(rarely now days) with my FD lenses it's a great combo.

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:23 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.