Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

I know If you want faster AF use a 5DIII, but If you can save some money what the heck. So Has anyone tried shooting BIF with the 6D, and how were the results ?

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:16 AM
dhachey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

I have the 1D X, 5D Mk3 and 6D. This is my order of preference for BIF. The 6D is quite good, but the AF system isn't fast enough in AI Servo mode to get a high proportion of keepers. But then again, you might get lucky. You might also consider a used 7D. It gives you the 1.6X crop factor advantage that you'll want and the AF system is pretty decent.

My 2 cents worth, …Dave

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:48 AM
ekoe

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

agree that the af is too slow in servo

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:02 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

FM Member jjbird has used the 6D with success. Look at this thread and search for his posts using the new Tamron 150-600…

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1273142/6

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

I'm going to PM him about this. I was thinking of using the 6D for shooting birds in Flight, and his look pretty good to me, nice and sharp.
As far as the 6D vs the 5DIII, most aspects seem fairly the same. Yes the 5DIII has more capabilities for AF, but If I can get sharp images using the 6D. I think I might be able to live with its few shortcomings, which aren't many at all. I was hoping for a few more responses, but it's still a fairly new thread, so we'll see.

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

onegreatcity wrote:
FM Member jjbird has used the 6D with success. Look at this thread and search for his posts using the new Tamron 150-600…

Remember to take into consideration that it is easier to photograph large birds in flight than smaller ones that fly faster.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:25 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

Tony, great shot of the bald eagle. But (not having one), I suspect the AF system of the 1D4 is quite a bit better than the 6D. Using a high shutter speed is also critical to achieving sharpness.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:53 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

I would use the 5DIII over the 6D.

The faster speed of the burst mode and the better auto focus would make up for the loss of crop factor.

Just two cents worth of nothing.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:57 PM
plover

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

martines34 wrote:
I would use the 5DIII over the 6D.

The faster speed of the burst mode and the better auto focus would make up for the loss of crop factor.

What loss of crop factor - they are both FF.

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:17 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

The servo on the 6D is a little slow but I found the slow frames per second to be more of a drawback. So much of bird photography is getting the wings in either the up or down position and because of the slow frame rate I miss allot of that. I still prefer my 7D to my 6D for flying birds

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:28 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

I could live with the slower fps on the 6D but the AF speed is the camera's main challenge in capturing BIF.

Still rely on my 1DMKIII for wildlife but if Canon could find a way to speed up the AF, things might be different.

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:33 AM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

Does this count?

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

I don't see any picture, just a red X.

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:58 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

smmokan16 wrote:
Does this count?

http://www.stevemokanphotography.com/Re/Monarch-Powder-Day-Jan-14/i-r3dCV9C/0/L/MonarchJan-12-L.jpg

Was that is AI servo. If so, were other in the series in focus as well?

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

Sure does, thats a cool looking shot !

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:12 PM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

chez wrote:
Was that is AI servo. If so, were other in the series in focus as well?

Yes, AI Servo and everything else (4-5 shots) was in focus. I've used my 6D / 28-135mm combo for a few days worth of skiing shots and I don't think the center point has missed focus on a single shot. Here's a link to the rest of the shots from that day, to give you an idea of the conditions and ability of the 6D. It's obviously not BIF, but my friends ski just as fast sometimes.

http://www.stevemokanphotography.com/Re/Monarch-Powder-Day-Jan-14

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:18 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

I used the 6D a bit for large birds in flight - It works well if you can keep the center point on the bird. It's a lot less forgiving than the 5D3 is though. Ultimately I sold the 6D and got the 5D3 as a 1 camera solution for what I shoot.

This was a 4 shot burst in Servo mode. The bird was flying almost parallel to the focus plane (slightly away), so it wasn't a huge challenge for the AF system, but all 4 were in focus and sharp. Not the greatest images, but they demonstrate the capabilities.

Shot with a 6D and 300mm f/2.8 IS plus a 2xIII. Shot at 600mm f/5.6.

http://jasonpatrick.smugmug.com/Private/teleconverter-test/i-9k2Jvv9/0/XL/IMG_7847-XL.jpg
http://jasonpatrick.smugmug.com/Private/teleconverter-test/i-9hgVL2r/0/XL/IMG_7848-XL.jpg
http://jasonpatrick.smugmug.com/Private/teleconverter-test/i-tDPqnGn/0/XL/IMG_7849-XL.jpg
http://jasonpatrick.smugmug.com/Private/teleconverter-test/i-X6zTTDv/0/XL/IMG_7850-XL.jpg

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:44 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

I've been using a 1DMKII, and even in AI servo, i've missed shots of seagulls, not by a lot. But then again I only use center point, but again I had my 100-400 in IS mode 2 as well. Some have said it works better without IS for better lock on.
Even then I had to keep hitting the shutter button to stay in focus, but this is also been in cold conditions. Not extreme, but usually below 20F.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:00 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

Bsmooth wrote:
I've been using a 1DMKII, and even in AI servo, i've missed shots of seagulls, not by a lot. But then again I only use center point, but again I had my 100-400 in IS mode 2 as well. Some have said it works better without IS for better lock on.
Even then I had to keep hitting the shutter button to stay in focus, but this is also been in cold conditions. Not extreme, but usually below 20F.

If you were using centre point only, it is more likely that you did not keep the focus point on the gull. You can check that using DPP.

It is also very doubtful that the temperature had anything to do with it.

Unless you can prove it was the gear, don't blame the gear.

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone shot Birds in Flight with a Canon 6D ?

Imagemaster wrote:
Unless you can prove it was the gear, don't blame the gear.

But... but... but...

(trying to take sharp handheld shots in a poorly lit parking lot with a T1i and 50/1.8 II I'll give you, but sometimes, you're just 'holding it wrong' )

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.