Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

thomashammer78
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

OK, so I got the oppotunity to get studio space for free, I would just need a portable studio, what would you get if you had limited bufget and needed to start working on portraits...

Lights and backdrops is really the only thing that comes to mind (Props will be a later thing)

My current gear is

Canon 6D

EF-70-200 F/2.8 IS II USM
Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD
Canon Speed Lite 600EX

What would you add, would I need to add anything to begin with (like client HAHAHAHA)

do I just need a secondary constant light source or do I need a studio flash?
would I need back light too, is soft boxes enough..

is there an easy way to go about it... like starter kits with two studio lights, a softbox and an umbrella or something like that?

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:47 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

What is your goal? Be more specific. Are you looking to do traditional portraits?

Tell us more about the space. What are the dimensions, including height?

I don't think there's a cheap way to do this and get decent results, especially if you don't have experience. If you are looking to do traditional portraits, the minimum acceptable lighting gear would be a four light setup: main, fill, background and hair. Add a fifth source if you want to include a kicker. You'll need the appropriate modifiers, softboxes, beauty lights, umbrellas, octoboxes, snoots, etc. You'll also need a radio triggering system. You should throw in the cost of a flash meter as well. Even if you go with the popular Alien Bee monolights, you're still looking at a fair amount of outlay. I would suggest stepping up to at least Einsteins.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:45 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

+1 on the Einstein's.....and get the Cyber Commander....nice to adjust all of them without having to walk around to each to do it. Also the CC has a light meter built into it to tell you the correct settings.....

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:50 AM
thomashammer78
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

I am looking and VERY basic portraits..

studio space is going to be setup in a corner of a gym... we are talking family portraits nothing pro..

Auntie Erma wants pictures of little adorable Annie portraits.

its standard height living room like 8-10 feet, other dimensions are fairly large, it would be in the corner of an old gym with wooden floors, I would add backdrops obviously.

I wouldnt know if something like this would even be worth to begin with.

Smith_Victor_401515_FL_130_3_Light_Studio or this one Photo Basics uLite Three Light Kit

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:57 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

dmacmillan wrote:
What is your goal? Be more specific. Are you looking to do traditional portraits?

Tell us more about the space. What are the dimensions, including height?

I don't think there's a cheap way to do this and get decent results, especially if you don't have experience. If you are looking to do traditional portraits, the minimum acceptable lighting gear would be a four light setup: main, fill, background and hair. Add a fifth source if you want to include a kicker. You'll need the appropriate modifiers, softboxes, beauty lights, umbrellas, octoboxes, snoots, etc. You'll also need a radio triggering system. You
...Show more

There you have it, although i don't know if 4 or 5 lights are absolutely necessary, seems to me 3 with a couple of reflectors could do the job but the more lights you have the more possibilities you have that's a fact.

For me the Einsteins are great lights for the money, and they come out much cheaper for you guys in the states compared to us Canadian folks :-) But still a fair deal for us.

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:18 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

There's another thread running, "Truth vs Flattery" that has some photos taken in a garage. Truthfully, if you have access to a garage, for the family photos you are describing, this may be a great inexpensive alternative. I'd add a reflector, but you can get nice soft light from the door. Change the position of your subjects and you can get some directionality. You could add a softbox, like a Westcott Rapid Box and fire your 600 ex with long cord to add some variety. You could get either seamless paper or one of those backdrops that fold.

See here: http://www.ppmag.com/current_issue/pdfs/0213/duenkeltutorial0213.pdf
This shows the kind of range you can get, even though some of the photos are pretty cheesy.

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:34 AM
thomashammer78
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

Thanks for all the feedback.. so basically what you are telling me is those beginner kits are waste of money and not even worth starting of with (again budget limited)

What about kits like this though... to an untrained eye as mine it looks rather OK to begin with..

http://www.squareperfect.com/p-40-square-perfect-sp3500-complete-portrait-studio-kit-wflashes-softboxes-more.aspx

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:05 PM
pedwatt
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

I am going to with the crazy idea. Get another speedlite, maybe a 430ex Mark2 or even an 580ex mark 2
Get 3 yongnuo wireless flash triggers 622c
get 2 light stands(cheap as possible)
get 2 umbrellas(cheap ones, but with the removeable reflector covers.
get 2 light stand to speedlight/umbrella holders

This will give miminal investment, with you main invesment being in the speedlite, which will serve you even if you decide you don't want to do this anymore. The yongnuo are cheap, but allow you adjust power and everything in camera instead of walking back and forth to you flashes. If you decide to stick with it, build from there.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:17 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

^^^^^ +1

but you could swap out the umbrellas for softbox umbrellas with grids that you can use for speedlights for more control of the light in a small space. I have 2 x 24" by 36" and an Octobox. The flash fires into the softbox umbrella. The grids further control the light so you can control it more whilst still getting soft light. The softboxes about $30 ea. plus grids $15 ea.

Also, you can use cheap but powerful Yognuo flashes - you can get manual or TTL versions eg I have the Y560III's and they are approx. $75 ea.

Manual is the best way to learn to light anyways.

As for backdrops - make one out of 1" PVC plumbing pipe and it can be dismantled easily (don't glue the connections) and makes covers out of rip-stop nylon, muslin, cotton, black outmaterial etc - check out Thorsten Ott's free tute vids links in the lighting forum. His first vid covers these and more.

Andy

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:45 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

First thing you need is a knowledge of lighting. With that you would know more about what to purchase that fits your style of photography. I would start with a window for window light or a open doorway. That could be the main light for 1 person. Next use the flash you have and place it off camera inside a soft box. I like the control a enclosed box has vs a umbrella that at least for me spills light all over the place in a small area.Use the flash as a accent or fill along with a reflector for fill ( or could block light also) which could be as simple as a white card about 36"x30" poster size. Good to have black on other side.

This happens to be my go to set-up when out of studio in a clients office. Fast and simple when in a small room with off colored walls and massive furniture in the way. I Open a door or get close to a window, set one light and white/black card and I am ready to make money! Of course knowledge is the key to know how to use and adjust to fit what is there. For backdrop I use a oversize poster board or matte board used for framing. Cheap and bends a little when needed.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:41 PM
ICE B1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

First, define "on a budget." That means very different things to different folks. It makes a big difference whether you have $200 or $2000 to spend.

I've been doing portraits for a LOT of years under a variety of circumstances. Shooting in an old gym is going to be challenging because you can't usually control the ambient light very well. Depending on how old, and what kind of lighting is installed, it may turn into a nightmare; a mixed mode lighting system with high-pressure sodium lights directly overhead is about the worst thing I can think of. Only slightly worse would be a dark gym with high windows, although that would be preferable.

Light sources aren't all created equal, but you can do amazing things with very little if you understand the properties of light and know how to get it where you need it in the right quantities and modified to give you the look you want.

There are a variety of inexpensive ways to do studio portraits, starting with cheap stands, umbrellas and Vivitar 283s with flash sensor triggers. 5-way reflectors/diffusers are really inexpensive. You could probably do that for your $200. What I'd recommend is that you scour Craigslist and anywhere else you can find for a good, used corded studio lighting setup you can afford that someone is selling. There are a million of them out there, and they seem to have fallen out of favor for the cordless units that everyone's using today. You can pick up a Norman, Speedotron, or other for pennies on the dollar. If you buy from a private party, you'll likely get stands and modifiers too.

I'm still using the four-head corded Norman set I bought in 1992. It was probably twenty five years old when I bought it. It's still going strong and parts are still available for it, although I've only had to replace the main board once right after I bought it, and I've only replaced a couple of modeling light bulbs. It does a pretty good job even after all these years:

PC032858bwwm by chief1120, on Flickr

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:55 PM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

You might get by with a beginner kit for a little while. But eventually end up replacing all the bits.

I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist. I started off with a Flashpoint monolight (sold by Adorama), which is a step up from the kits you listed. It has proved fine for my purposes, but I don't shoot in high volume. B&H has their corresponding captive line, called "Impact", which is likely just as good.

I prefer building up my kit piece by piece. The pre-packaged kits always seem to list a bunch of stuff I would never actually use. Of course this is a slower, much more methodical choice.

Yonguno speedlights are a lot of bang-for-the-buck. Whether speedlight or monolight is pretty much personal preference. Each has its fans.

I really liked what ICE B1 said about starting simple. Though I am a big fan of RF triggers over PC sync cords.

Linkys for background music -

http://blog.snapfactory.com/?p=1138

http://www.iheartfaces.com/2013/09/getting-started-with-off-camera-flash/

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

http://neilvn.com/tangents/tag/lighting-setup/

http://www.thephoblographer.com/tag/flash/

Kelly Cook

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:30 AM
thomashammer78
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

Thanks All

ill look further in to everything

Mar 04, 2014 at 08:09 AM
Ravitej
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

When doing portraits or people in odd locations where a larger set-up is cumbersome this is what I use. Two light stands with older 550EX flash units activated by on-camera STE-2 transmitter. I put DEMB adjustable bounce / reflectors on the flash units to give both bounce and direct lighting (essentially 4 sources) that is completely adjustable. Gives very neutral lighting that will fit just about any use. All goes in two bags. One for stands and one for camera and flashes. Shoot manual because it's just as easy with the 550's. Noticed you had the newer 600EX. Getting the new radio transmitter and another 600EX plus the DEMBs would give you the same with ETTL ability. And more latitude to work in well lit or odd angles where the old infrared system gets challenged. You can spend about the same on studio lights, but not have the portability and low profile.

I also have studio lighting for still and video, but it's certainly not run and gun portable like the Canon flashes.

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:57 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

Before you buy anything, go to www.strobist.com and go through "Lighting 101" here: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Then decide what you need. Frankly, with what you already have, plus one light modifier (e.g. umbrella, Softlighter, Westcott Apollo), an umbrella swivel, and a sync cord and you're ready to go. Learn to use one light, what it can and cannot do, and how to maximize the utility of it, before you go off and buy a multiple light kit.

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:50 AM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cheapest beginner studio - what to get.

Einsteins are lovely. Honestly, if you can get by with something cheap until you get something decent, I say do it. Pick up some basic AlienBees and then sell them later once you establish yourself. Honestly I use speedlights, though, but I do most (see:all) of my work on location.

In any case, you'll need stands, at least one boom, maybe a sandbag, a fan, a few softboxes (where I'm at now, I wish I had some strip boxes, but I'm using a 50inch and a 28inch, plus umbrellas). The studio I rent out when someone demands I do studio work has AlienBees. They're cheap but effective. Not as nice as Einsteins though.

And you really only need one radio trigger and receiver. Since you're in a studio, the rest of the lights can easily be fired with optical slaves. Outside is another story, though.

Don't don't don't get one of those "kit" things, that has a bunch of proprietary stuff. Get as much universal equipment as you can, so you can mix and match and find 1: cheap deals and 2: more options.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:06 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.