Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

khruschev

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here who has the Nikon 105 macro lens (the AF-S version) ran into any issues. I just got this a little under a month ago so I can still get an exchange on it, I believe.

Anyway here is the issue: I put the lens on the camera (D800), turn on camera, and with the lens cap still on, I half-press the shutter release so that the camera will attempt to autofocus. Note that the focus limiter switch was set to "full." However instead of racking focus from infinity to minimum focus and back to infinity, it just slows down and stops at about a focus distance of 0.35 meters. I keep the shutter release pressed down, and the AF assist lamp is still on but the lens is not focusing! If I try it a couple more times, or if I move the focus ring manually, it usually becomes unstuck. If I then press the shutter release button again, it goes through the full focus range like normal. Sometimes I have to turn the camera off/on again before it works (like in the video). You can see how i keep pressing the shutter release button, and the AF assist lamp turning on, but no focusing from the lens! Lastly I tried the same exercise on 2 other cameras and the same thing happens.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Is this defective? I would like to know soon so I can get an exchange, instead of dealing with Nikon servicing department (see my 28-70 f/2.8 post...).

Here is a short video demonstrating this problem. The "thunk" at 18 seconds is actually from the lens (I'm guessing it's the VR element).

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:24 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

Why don't you try it in a real situation rather than trying to induce a "failure"? My guess is that, perhaps, the AF algorithm the camera is using *might* determine that there is insufficient light to AF, so it decides to conserve battery power.

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:41 AM
khruschev

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

Good point, in fact I did try it in a real life situation. Unfortunately the same thing happened, the AF would just kind of seize up and not do anything, even if I give it a bright high contrast target.

I can reproduce the above symptoms (with the lens cap on) even with different camera bodies, so that is definitely related to the lens.

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:55 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

Does it work normally when you ACTUALLY try to take a photograph of an ACTUAL subject??

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:07 AM
khruschev

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

Question:
NathanHamler wrote:
Does it work normally when you ACTUALLY try to take a photograph of an ACTUAL subject??

Answer:
khruschev wrote:
Good point, in fact I did try it in a real life situation. Unfortunately the same thing happened, the AF would just kind of seize up and not do anything, even if I give it a bright high contrast target.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:06 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

It would be quite a coincident if you have the same (odd) problem with two different lenses. If you reported this to Nikon I'm sure they would say ship the body to them. Do you have a third lens to try it with?

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:16 AM
khruschev

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

Yes indeed I tried both of these "defective" lenses on different bodies, and they exhibited the same problems. I then tried other lenses I own on all of the bodies and they seem to work fine.

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:21 PM
shayray

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

Will it focus when you target something? I dont think it's designed to focus with the cap on..

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:06 PM
RKH
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

It's not designed to work correctly with the lens cap on. Why would you even try such a thing and expect it to focus?

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:22 PM
khruschev

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

It's simple: I keep the lens cap on to force the lens to use its AF motor throughout the entire focus range. If it cannot do that, then it certainly won't be able to autofocus on anything else either. It's not rocket science.

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:49 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

khruschev wrote:
It's simple: I keep the lens cap on to force the lens to use its AF motor throughout the entire focus range. If it cannot do that, then it certainly won't be able to autofocus on anything else either. It's not rocket science.

True but you never know exactly how it's suppose to act. Whether it's camera settings or the make up of the lens, who knows if it's doing what it's suppose to do under a condition it is not designed for. I don't have a 105 to do the same test, I tried a couple of my lenses and they all go through the whole focal range.

Are you having any issues when using the lens shooting in real world situations? If there are no problems when using it as it should then is it really an issue? It sounds like your other lens was missing focus during practical use. How about the 105?

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:17 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

Return the lens. Get another. Simple. The lens is obviously defective.

Mar 04, 2014 at 05:06 PM
khruschev

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Defective Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro Lens?

@Vinnie: Yes I did try focusing it on a bright high contrast target (my Macbook keyboard in fact) and it would not focus some of the time. It seems to always need a little "warming up" (even after a few minutes of no use) before the AF motor can access the full focus distance range.

@runamuck: Yup I actually did. Since the seller is cross-shipping I will be testing both lenses simultaneously so I can get to the bottom of this.

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.