Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Little League Baseball

Brett Braden

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Little League Baseball

Here's a sample of my recent Little League coverage in Houston. I would appreciate any constructive criticism you have to offer. Thanks!

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:02 AM
Brett Braden

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Little League Baseball

Wow these are huge. I will try to resize. Sorry about that.

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:04 AM
Dramodt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Little League Baseball

Love them all. especially that first one!

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:10 AM
Brett Braden

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Little League Baseball

Thanks Dramodt A few more here. The night shots under the lights are tough, even with fast glass. The variation in exposure and WB from frame to frame is maddening. I posted on this question recently and learned it was simply a function of the mercury vapor lights and there is nothing you can do about it. I started shooting in RAW mode just to make it easier to play with WB. Trying to learn and get better.

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:25 AM
Dramodt

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Little League Baseball

Whoa, what happened to these? Are you shooting high ISO? Can it be lower, or get faster glass?

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:37 AM
Brett Braden

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Little League Baseball

I know. ISO 6400 with 400mm f/2.8 or 70-200mm f/2.8. Around 1/400 shutter speed. Any suggestions?

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:39 AM
Dramodt

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Little League Baseball

Well, thats great glass. Maybe the camera. I know my 800 isn't much good over 4000 ISO. So, Sometimes I'll borrow a friends 85 1.4 and do my best.

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:46 AM
Brett Braden

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Little League Baseball

D4 on the 400. D7000 on the 70-200. Some of them are cropped pretty hard. Anything in post processing I can do?

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:48 AM
Dramodt

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Little League Baseball

Oh, well, never mind me. I am currently saving for the D4s. But I've seen incredible night sports at 10K ISO and still sharp. Maybe its the crop? I shoot from the dugouts. The teams usually don't care.

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:57 AM
Brett Braden

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Little League Baseball

I'm going to a 300mm f/2.8 for the infield shots from the dugout. 200mm obviously isn't enough at night after cropping. And I will probably add a TC 1.4 to the 400mm for the shots from behind the outfield fence.

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rddayton
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Little League Baseball

Whoa....wait a minute. I don't have an EXIF browser on this computer, but are you saying the nighttime photos were taken on a D4 with a 400 2.8 lens? Why in the world are you limiting yourself to ISO 6,400? The D4 will be fine at ISO 12,800. These have to be very very heavy crops too because of how they are falling apart.

If you have a D4, why are you even shooting the D7000 at night. It simply can't handle the low light. I understand that you are trying to shoot with multiple lenses, but if you want to switch back and forth, do it based on your shooting position -- and keep all your lenses on the D4.

I don't have a D4 (main body is D3s) but there has to be an explanation as to what is going on here. Shoot me a Private Message if you want to discuss settings, gear, etc for baseball.

Rick

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Brett Braden

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Little League Baseball

Thanks. For infield shots from the dugout, I felt like 200mm on an FX body was not enough reach, so I used the DX body to get a 300mm equivalent, thinking that less cropping would be better. The better solution appears to be getting a 300mm lens for the D4 and using it for the dugout shots as well. I will also try increasing the ISO (maybe to 8,000 or 10,000) to get the shutter speed up, which should help with sharpness. What settings do you use for poorly lit night games like this?

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:24 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Little League Baseball

Way too much on the cropping for the night shots.

Mar 04, 2014 at 07:01 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Little League Baseball

Some + and -. You have some good action but not peak action. The crops on many only show the faults... too much noise.

Ted

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:33 AM
Brett Braden

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Little League Baseball

What lens do you use to shoot home plate from the outfield fence? And what do you use to shoot the infield from one of the dugouts?

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:01 AM
mirandamember
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Little League Baseball

Hey Brett! Mark here (400mm 2.8 you borrowed at Red Raiders fall ball). Glad to see you got your hands on a 400 2.8. Is this WULL? First and fourth are my favorites. The crops are killing your night shots. PM me if you want to try the 300 2.8. Have a great season!

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:04 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Little League Baseball

Brett,

None of us can make those calls for you -- or even answer that question accurately -- for a couple reasons.

1) Don't have any idea what age group you are talking about. Obviously, these are Little Leaguers, but my answer would be very different for USSSA or Pony or high school. Different again for college and pro ball.

2) How big is the field where you shoot? Most regulation Little League fields are a 200-225 feet from home plate to the wall, but that is not always true. One of the complexes where I shoot the fence is 225 all the way around, but it is 12 feet high. As a result I never shoot from the outfield there because I would have to shoot through the fence. I know Paul Alesse shoots the LLWS from the outfield with a 600 f4.

3) The question about the lens for infield shots also is not a pat or set answer. Depending on how much room you have in foul territory has a lot to do with it. Sometimes the 70-200 is enough. Sometimes it is a naked 300. Sometimes I add a 1.4 TC to the 300.

So more than anything else, experiment with what works best for you. I will say that I personally will not use a mix of FX and DX bodies at the same game any more. There is simply wayyyyyy too much difference in the ISO capability and the look of the files. DX is still fine for daytime baseball (I still prefer a D300 to the D7000 or D7100 for focus ability and buffer speed) but I never use it at night. Keep in mind there are fields where I won't even try to shoot with my D3s at 12,800 because the lights are so miserable.

Hope that helps.

Rick

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:09 AM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Little League Baseball

None of the night shots you posted were taken with a D4, all with the 7k. Do you have any of those? I was reading and thinking no way any of these were with a D4 at 6400. So I checked the exif and only ONE shot posted has been taken with the D4 and it was 1/1250 ISO800 and 400MM. It's the very first shot above.
I'm pretty sure looking at your focal lengths used in the night shots above that you could've used the 400mm and had the same pictures and had virtually zero noise because you wouldn't have had to crop.
Leave that 7k at home at night is my suggestion.

Mar 05, 2014 at 04:01 PM
Brett Braden

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Little League Baseball

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, mikepmcs and rddayton. Very helpful. I am definitely going to leave the 7000 at home from now on and use the D4 exclusively. And I will experiment with different glass for the infield shots. I'm thinking a 300mm will be about right for shots across the infield from the dugouts on the fields I shoot at. I'll post the results for further critique later.

Mar 09, 2014 at 02:58 AM
Brett Braden

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Little League Baseball

mirandamember wrote:
Hey Brett! Mark here (400mm 2.8 you borrowed at Red Raiders fall ball). Glad to see you got your hands on a 400 2.8. Is this WULL? First and fourth are my favorites. The crops are killing your night shots. PM me if you want to try the 300 2.8. Have a great season!

Mark, I liked your 400 2.8 so much I had to sell my 200-400 and get one of my own! These shots are from POLL, but I have a kid in WULL as well, so I'm sure I'll see you out there. If you have the 200 f/2 with you when I see you, that's the one I will want to try!

Mar 09, 2014 at 03:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password