Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Football Documentary C&C

matt.garnett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Football Documentary C&C

Over the last 7 months I have been working on a documentary film of my high school's football team and their road to the state championship. Although it is mainly videography, I have some of my photos from the season embedded in there. I plan on submitting this to the new UIL Documentary contest and I was interested in hearing some feedback from people who know nothing of the backstory of Argyle. Please take a minute or two to write a little C&C after you watch, thanks

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Also there is a black spot at about 3:18 that I am still waiting for a photo of the coach and his father.

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Top Gun
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Football Documentary C&C

Very well put together!

The story was cohesive and fluid.

The lighting for the interviews was done exceptionally well. Nice bluish color backlight over the shoulder with a warm key light!

The photos I did see beyond the 2006 mark appeared to be in focus and pertinent to the story.

Music choice and audio levels were also spot on! Good job.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:27 AM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Football Documentary C&C

Nice work. Overall I like it. Two comments.

1) I think the blackout sequence at the beginning is too harsh. Are the picture and black times the same, maybe less black would be better.

2) It would help the film a lot if you could find a colorist to make the scenes colors look more alike, match the skin tones and the black. Take a look at the demos from this guys site to see what I mean. I happen to know Chris but I'm not saying he's the guy for you.

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:47 PM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Football Documentary C&C

I appreciate your comments.

Bob-- I will see what I can do with the color correction. Unfortunately I don't any budget so if I want anything done, I need to do it myself. Chris' site is very impressive though. I saw he worked on Act of Valor! I love that movie.

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Football Documentary C&C

matt.garnett wrote:
I appreciate your comments.

Bob-- I will see what I can do with the color correction. Unfortunately I don't any budget so if I want anything done, I need to do it myself. Chris' site is very impressive though. I saw he worked on Act of Valor! I love that movie.

I can totally understand the budget aspect, but it is one thing that I noticed too. I don't know what software you're using and only have very limited experience with video, but I do know that some allow you to do basic color corrections and in some cases Photoshop-like curves and color adjustments.

The one thing I noticed were the constant screen black outs. Generally speaking fading to black can be used sparingly for effect, but it looks amateurish if used all the time. At the beginning of the video the constant blacking out is like a bad and slow strobe light.

As mentioned, I do like the studio lighting.

Mar 03, 2014 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.