Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Frozen Sunrise

JMYphotos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Frozen Sunrise

Took my "New to me" Sigma 35/1.4 out for a test-drive before work last week. Most of the lake was still ice-covered but noticed the ice near the shore making odd shapes/formations and figured it would make a good place to watch the sun come up:

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:02 PM
JMYphotos

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Frozen Sunrise

Oh, and as one of my first posts on here, the more feed-back the better!
Thanks,
Jeff

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:52 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Frozen Sunrise

Jeff, welcome to the forum! I like your images a lot. Exposure and sharpness looks good to me. The composition in the second image looks great to my eyes. This is your strongest image, I think. The sun seems a bit too centered in the last image, and the stray branches coming in from the top appear disembodied. The central part of that image looks really nice, so perhaps a lower placement of the camera would improve the composition of that last image? Looking forward to seeing more of your images here! Thanks for posting.
Keith W.

Mar 02, 2014 at 03:57 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Frozen Sunrise

Hey Jeff,

Welcome to FM Landscape!

Your first two are really nice looking. #2 is my favorite, brighten #1 up just a hair to match #2 and that will be a winner too. The ice in #1 is cool. As for #3, I like what you were trying to do with framing #3, but I think the branches end up being too much, especially the one coming down more than the others. It ends up looking like the shot has some stray hairs hanging down and it needs a hair cut...

Jim

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:28 PM
JMYphotos

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Frozen Sunrise

JimFox wrote:
Hey Jeff,

Welcome to FM Landscape!

Your first two are really nice looking. #2 is my favorite, brighten #1 up just a hair to match #2 and that will be a winner too. The ice in #1 is cool. As for #3, I like what you were trying to do with framing #3, but I think the branches end up being too much, especially the one coming down more than the others. It ends up looking like the shot has some stray hairs hanging down and it needs a hair cut...

I am glad you mentioned the lighting. I edit via LR on my 27" Mac and then view my Flickr page on my MacBook and they all universally look over-exposed (Per my edits anyway). I edited that first pic intentionally a little dark because it ends up looking "Right" on the MacBook. Here was the original "Lighter" version:

Is there a PC / Laptop calibration that can be done to confirm which one is "Right"?

Thanks for the feedback over-all I hope to post often and get lots of critiques so I know what to work on and get better. Lots and lots of talented members here.
Jeff

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:12 PM
li Arc

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Frozen Sunrise

There's a screen calibration tool made by Datacolor called the Sypder, and there are several versions of it out, but it basically helps you calibrate your screen so that its output is as close to a standardized output as possible. I'm fairly new myself and am looking into getting one, maybe that'll point you in the right direction!

Mar 02, 2014 at 06:43 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Frozen Sunrise

Jeff,
Welcome to FM. NIcely done series...i like #2 as well.

Mar 02, 2014 at 07:34 PM
JMYphotos

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Frozen Sunrise

li Arc wrote:
There's a screen calibration tool made by Datacolor called the Sypder, and there are several versions of it out, but it basically helps you calibrate your screen so that its output is as close to a standardized output as possible. I'm fairly new myself and am looking into getting one, maybe that'll point you in the right direction!

Is it a common issue? I guess what I am wondering is that if it's something most do regardless of computer / monitor or is it rare for those using a Mac?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Jeff

Mar 02, 2014 at 09:10 PM
li Arc

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Frozen Sunrise

I'd say that unless you buy a screen that's been factory calibrated (which are usually either professional screens made for photographers like Eizo or screens where the manufacturers offer a calibration service like some of Dell's Ultrasharp series) which usually come with a certificate or calibration report and add additional expense to the monitor, consumer-grade monitors including Apple screens will benefit from calibration. Even pro-grade monitors may need to be re-calibrated every so often.

At any rate, #1 is a great shot with interesting subjects, though my preference is for colours that are slightly less saturated, but then again, I need a calibration too!

Mar 02, 2014 at 10:08 PM
JMYphotos

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Frozen Sunrise

Thanks for the info!
Jeff

Mar 02, 2014 at 10:16 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Frozen Sunrise

I really like the curve of the ice formations in #1. Nice work!

For inexpensive/intro monitor calibration, as a hobbyist, I used these
- a ColorMunki Smile to do the color calibration (less than $100)
- this guide (http://www.hermitage-ps.co.uk/monitor_luminance.htm) to do the brightness calibration. On my desktop, my brightness has to be at the low end of the scale. On my laptop, it has to be almost at the top of the scale.

I did a few prints after calibrating and I was pleased with how they turned out.
Certainly not exacting, but I think it gets close enough.
Of course, if you are trying to be more accurate or sell photos, you might want something more expensive and with more capabilities.

Mar 02, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Frozen Sunrise

For future posts, I would pick your personal favourite image from a sunset and post it by itself. Since these are all very similar, and almost from the exact same time, I think 1 really well thought out composition would be better then 3.

As for the shot. I like how you handled the light, and the sunstars are all great. Im a fan of having a lot of fine details in an image, so I may have gotten really close to a nice ice formation and used it as a stronger base to the nice light in the sky. It looks like there were a lot of snow free ice formations and cracks to work with at this location.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:41 AM
eawhitcomb

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Frozen Sunrise

I really like the ice formations in the first picture - I was "up north" a couple weeks ago and the lady running the place I stayed called this 'ice candy'. Great job!

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:26 PM
edubay121

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Frozen Sunrise

#2 is my favorite. Nice seen...I'm still very much looking forward to when I dont have to see ice and snow anymore though.

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:38 PM
Craig Solin
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Frozen Sunrise

Love the ice formations in #1 Great shot!

Mar 04, 2014 at 03:26 PM
Brindlefg1

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Frozen Sunrise

Nice shots. No. 2 is my favorite.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM
kharris12

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Frozen Sunrise

I am new too, but I agree with the comments regarding #2 being the most striking, although the ice in #1 caought my eye.

Mar 24, 2014 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.