Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

Just ordered my k40x ballhead.

Mar 04, 2014 at 09:09 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

RobertLynn wrote:
Just ordered my k40x ballhead.

Yikes!
That's a beast! If you haven't seen one up-close you'll be in for a surprise, although it's no BH-55.
But, I loves mine. You'll be happy, and it's tough to beat at that price.
You won't need to worry about a replacement for a long time.
Congrats!

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:35 PM
pmiller228
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

I have the sirui k30x. It's great quality, especially for the price. It holds my gripped d700 + 70-200 2.8 rock solid.

I paired it with these legs, which have also been great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004E50IM2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394120368&sr=8-1

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:39 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

AnthonyRay wrote:
Yikes!
That's a beast! If you haven't seen one up-close you'll be in for a surprise, although it's no BH-55.
But, I loves mine. You'll be happy, and it's tough to beat at that price.
You won't need to worry about a replacement for a long time.
Congrats!

Thanks. I also ordered the legs as well. Should both be here tomorrow. I have an outing on Saturday, so I'll get to use them early. Sucks though, I've got 3 properties to shoot tomorrow but I won't get to use the new pod yet.

Mar 06, 2014 at 02:25 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

I think that'll be a nice combo - the head is certainly going to be able to move to better legs if and when you get them. I Think you'll like those legs better than the Manfrotto 190PROB - especially if you wouldn't be using the articulated center column. Have fun!

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:03 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

Got them today. The head is a monster compared to the legs lol. It dwarfs them. If these are better built and a better choice than the manfrotto legs, I can assure you that I wouldn't have liked the Manfrotto legs. I almost wonder if I should just take the plunge and buy the next step up in Sirui legs now.

These seem to be of a lot better build quality than the slik legs I have (the head is no question infinitely better than the Slik head I have), but look like they hold up about the same/same amount of sturdiness.

The ballhead is an impressive piece of equipment though.

Mar 07, 2014 at 10:36 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

RobertLynn wrote:
Got them today. The head is a monster compared to the legs lol. It dwarfs them. If these are better built and a better choice than the manfrotto legs, I can assure you that I wouldn't have liked the Manfrotto legs. I almost wonder if I should just take the plunge and buy the next step up in Sirui legs now.

The Benro is probably marginally better than the Manfrotto, but it would be in terms of overall build. Size and perceived sturdiness would probable be near identical. You'd have to check the specs on the leg and column diameter to know which would "look" sturdier.

These seem to be of a lot better build quality than the slik legs I have (the head is no question infinitely better than the Slik head I have), but look like they hold up about the same/same amount of sturdiness.

The ballhead is an impressive piece of equipment though.

!

Yeah - I really didn't want to say anything but I did let out a little guffaw when I thought of the combo.

Put it this way, the ballhead is at the extreme end on one side, the tripod is just short of a travel tripod on the other. Truly, it's a decent set of sticks - and plenty for what you're doing. It's the ballhead that's overkill. I was thinking when I got it it was smaller than my friend's BH-55 so it would be fine. Yeah, it's smaller - but you've got to set them side by side!

A k-30x is probably more up your alley at the moment. Then again, if you get/have a 70-200 f2.8 or larger, you're all set.

Anyway, here's a photo of the k-40x on a Sirui M3204, which is one of their biggest tripods. Next to it is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001, which is dimensionally about the same as the Manfrotto 055PROB. It's got the Manfrotto 502HD on it for comparison. They both still look big on the tripods!

I'm actually probably going to get the k-20x very soon myself I've been so impressed with the brand. And, it will probably be what I use 80% of the time in reality.

So, don't feel bad - like I said the Benro is fine for what you're doing, but the ballhead... It's your call as to keeping which. When I do my real estate shoots I travel as light as I can, and if I use a tripod, it's the 190PROB right now with a little head since it's set up that way. That's plenty for a 6D, and 17-40 with flash. The Sirui is actually lighter and smaller when folded up than the Manfrotto, so the k-20x will probably be a perfect companion for interior shoots.

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:49 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

I know I'm late to the party, but I have been using that exact combo (322RC2 and 055XProB legs) for years now.
My head broke (the grip handle) a few years ago, but still works. I am going to upgrade the head, as it is just far easier and convenient to use a ball head (actually will start a thread on what to get lol).

As for the legs, they are heavy - but they are indestructible. I actually lost the legs Eagle Creek for like 10 days and i found then by some crazy chance, and they worked a-ok. They have slid 30 feet down the side of a hill, been used as a depth finder, been in the ocean many a times, etc etc. They don't look pretty, but reliable as all heck. And for $150ish new, no brainier.

But again, my needs are different than 97% of people. Carbon Fibre is too delicate for me, and is too high maintenance for serious landscape use

Mar 08, 2014 at 07:41 PM
scorpix

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Give me your input on these legs and head combo.

I would not take this ballhead. Seems that it will be hard to operate with heavier gear. I have very similar Manfrotto legs and ballhead 498RC2. Legs are ok (sturdy, robust, reversible middle section). But mainly for slower shooting and shorter walk trips (slow to extend, collapse, quite heavy). But you have to be careful with any ballhead and lock it all the time. Because I have knocked lens after forgetting to tighten it and letting it go. If the gear is heavy it could be very painful or even expensive.

Apr 03, 2014 at 12:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.