FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tubes Question

IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tubes Question

Looking to buy Tubes, want to do it right the first time. No experience with macro.
I understand you can stack, but looking for the best results.

Individual one, or set.

If set...Which set, none of them, other please name ..

Vello, Kenko, Canon, Other please name

Just 1 Individual One , if so, which one

Thanks for looking and your time.

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:38 PM
TheBat
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tubes Question

Unbelievable. . .maybe not

There are four permanent postings at the top of the macro forum, one is dedicated to shooting with tubes.
What equipment do you use now, Nikon, Canon, etc., would help?

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:10 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tubes Question

A lot of members use a Kenko set. As air is the medium in tubes, build quality affects how well they fit together or to the camera.

They come in two sorts: manual and auto.The latter wll allow your camera to operate linkages on the lens, such as aperture close-down and maybe some other functions. No linkages work when the lens is reversed.

The number of tubes you need depends on the magnification you want. The longer the focal length of the lens the more extension it takes for a given increase in magnification. The longer the extension, the shorter wil be the working distance (lens to subject).

Using the above, you should now, as The Bat suggests, study the dedicated topics. As he says, stating which lens(es) you plan to use will help in giving you advice.

Harold

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:33 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tubes Question

Thanks Bat and Harold.. Will dive into the topics at top of this forum

Mar 02, 2014 at 07:28 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tubes Question

Spent some time in the stickys at top of board yesterday.

I shoot Canon, and I know the 100Lis is a popular lens for Macro.

Can anyone mention other 3rd party macro lens that are as popular.

Thanks

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:32 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tubes Question

IndyFab wrote:
Spent some time in the stickys at top of board yesterday.

I shoot Canon, and I know the 100Lis is a popular lens for Macro.

Can anyone mention other 3rd party macro lens that are as popular.

Thanks

As you have mentioned tubes, but not lenses, in the topic title you are unlikey to get much response. In any case, the popularity of a lens is relevant only if it suits the magnification range you want to use it for.

Harold

Mar 03, 2014 at 10:41 AM
euua
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tubes Question

Indeed !

TheBat wrote:
Unbelievable. . .maybe not

There are four permanent postings at the top of the macro forum, one is dedicated to shooting with tubes.
What equipment do you use now, Nikon, Canon, etc., would help?

Mar 03, 2014 at 11:14 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tubes Question

Harold since I am a noob to Macro, I really have no idea with regards to magnification range at this point, but I can tell you I would be interested in flowers and butterflies, not really into bugs at this point, perhaps after I get my feet wet, that may be another possibility.

I did learn from the sticky about using your regular lens in reverse using an adapter. However, I think I would like to start out with a designated macro lens

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:35 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tubes Question

IndyFab wrote:
Harold since I am a noob to Macro, I really have no idea with regards to magnification range at this point, but I can tell you I would be interested in flowers and butterflies, not really into bugs at this point, perhaps after I get my feet wet, that may be another possibility.

Thse subjects may not even require a magnification of 1:1 but the butterflies require a long working distance. I suggest that you need a lens, preferably capable of 1:1, of focal length at least 100mm, preferably something like 180mm.

I don't see tubes as being relevant at this stage. An alternative is a lens of 90 or 100mm with a high quality x2 teleconverter (TC). The TC will double the magnification at the same working distance.

Take a look at posts about setups to see which lenses are being used. I suspect that the Canon 100mm may be a good choice but I am not a Canon user.

Harold

Mar 04, 2014 at 02:35 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tubes Question

Harold, you been very kind with your time, and I appreciate your input

Indy

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:04 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tubes Question

IndyFab wrote:
Harold, you been very kind with your time, and I appreciate your input

It didn't take much time. What did take a lot of time, over many years, mostly with film, was making all the mistakes you don't need to make.

Find yourself a system/setup which works well for you and use it as much as you can. That way, familiarity will mimimise mistakes and you can concentrate more on your subjects. I used a 90mm macro lens and its dedicated converter for many years. Having tried various other lenses, I am now back with a better lens (this time 105mm) and its dedicated converter (which I use relatively infrequently because of the longer focal length of the lens). In the same way, I used fully manual flash with film for many years and have recently come back to it with macro.

One tip for using teleconverters (TCs): you will see comments about losing light by using a converter. Just open up the lens by one or two stops (x1.4 TC or x2 TC, respectively) to maintain the exposure and DOF.

Harold

Mar 04, 2014 at 12:57 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tubes Question

Thanks again for the input. Truly appreciate it.

Mar 06, 2014 at 01:15 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.