Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

stealing snowy owls

mrcolin2u
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · stealing snowy owls

Nice job Andrew, I only hope the punishment fits the crime. Unfortunately the fines are worth the risk to these individuals.
In the UK eggs and chicks are stolen form peregrine nests and sold for very large sums but if the perpetrators are caught it's almost just a slap on the wrist.
Still, I'm glad you helped catch this individual and save a a few snowy owls from capture

Mar 02, 2014 at 04:53 PM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.2 #2 · stealing snowy owls

Good on you, mate! Well done!

= Ed =

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:02 PM
jmckayak
• •
p.2 #3 · stealing snowy owls

Andy, thank Al for using his contacts to stop this, at least temporarily. We need to change the laws so that this doesn't happen again.
There were hundreds of people out trying to see the owls, especially the one named 'Amishtown'. How is it possible that this guy could just drive up and capture one of those owls? Even if it was TOTALLY legal (This ISN'T), it is totally unacceptable! NO ONE IN LANCASTER COUNTY would like to see any one their owls taken!

John

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:19 PM
mptnest
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · stealing snowy owls

Fly free forever Amishtown.

Al

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 10:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2014 at 11:22 PM
jmckayak
• •
p.2 #5 · stealing snowy owls

Very nice photo mptnest! Much better to see this bird wearing a backpack than jesses.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:20 AM
Cincy Bruce
• • • •
p.2 #6 · stealing snowy owls

Andy
Do you know if they confiscated the traps? A lot of time is spent making traps, and losing those would hit him where it counts.

Bruce

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:55 PM
AvianScott
• •
p.2 #7 · stealing snowy owls

A falconer took a Snowy Owl in Wisconsin last month. There was a small outcry from the birding community, but it is legal and falconers, for the most part, take amazing care of their birds.

I have no problem with falconers taking birds legally and virtually all raptors are fair game with a few exceptions - (and yes, Snowys ARE legal to capture) but it sounds like this guy was not doing so legally by trespassing.

Great documentation.

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 02:19 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.2 #8 · stealing snowy owls

The only law they know for sure he was breaking was trespassing so he just had to pack up and leave. He was targeting an owl with a new $3,000 transmitter, but even that was legal!

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:16 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · stealing snowy owls

This happens all over. And farmers often shoot them if they are considered a "threat" to livestock. They don't fair well on these years of southern journeys. Don

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:31 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #10 · stealing snowy owls

http://lancasteronline.com/elanco/news/another-snowy-owl-flap-falconer-tries-to-trap-live-snowy/article_73fa0f20-a280-11e3-9588-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Keiththom

p.2 #11 · stealing snowy owls

"After conferring with birdwatchers, the Amish farmer withdrew his permission to let the falconer attempt to trap an owl, according to some witnesses at the scene."

It's starting to sound to me as if he DID have permission to be where he was. And according to the article, what he was doing was legal. And the original poster's heading of "Stealing" snowy owls is a bit over-blown and misleading.

Not that it makes any difference but -One other misconception here that I've heard repeated over and over again is about transmitters costing $3000. Transmitters cost $100 to $250 each. A few receivers may cost nearly $3000. But birds only wear transmitters.

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 04:07 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2014 at 03:29 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.2 #12 · stealing snowy owls

Farmer did not know he was there, so how could he have given permission. More bad reporting from that reporter, who may be to blame for this whole mess.

Mar 03, 2014 at 03:34 PM
AvianScott
• •
p.2 #13 · stealing snowy owls

Keiththom wrote:
Not that it makes any difference but -One other misconception here that I've heard repeated over and over again is about transmitters costing $3000. Transmitters cost $100 to $250 each. A few receivers may cost nearly $3000. But birds only wear transmitters.

"The most important tools at our disposal are new, cutting-edge GPS-GSM transmitters, which allow us to track the movements of these owls on an almost minute-to-minute basis, and in three dimensions (latitude, longitude and altitude). This allows us see where these owls are traveling, what habitats they're using, where they're hunting at night and what threats they may be facing.
The transmitters are solar-powered and last for years, and they weigh just 40 grams, only 1.5-3 percent of the owl's weight. They take regular location fixes using the GPS satellite system, accurate to a fraction of a meter, and once a day they basically phone home, dialing through the cell phone network to transmit their data.

Unfortunately, they're expensive. The manufacturer, Cellular Tracking Technologies, is one of our partners, and is giving us a big discount on the units, but with data charges it still costs about $3,000 per transmitter."

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-snowstorm

Mar 03, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Keiththom

p.2 #14 · stealing snowy owls

AvianScott wrote:
"The most important tools at our disposal are new, cutting-edge GPS-GSM transmitters, which allow us to track the movements of these owls on an almost minute-to-minute basis, and in three dimensions (latitude, longitude and altitude). This allows us see where these owls are traveling, what habitats they're using, where they're hunting at night and what threats they may be facing.
The transmitters are solar-powered and last for years, and they weigh just 40 grams, only 1.5-3 percent of the owl's weight. They take regular location fixes using the GPS satellite system, accurate to a fraction of a meter, and once a
...Show more

AvianScott: If this is what the bird was wearing, you may very well be right about the cost of the transmitter.

Mar 03, 2014 at 03:47 PM
jordan76

p.2 #15 · stealing snowy owls

Whether the Amish farmer knew or didnt know really dindn't seem to matter to this guy . More than likely figured Amish landowner would not press charges if he did get caught !

Mar 03, 2014 at 03:54 PM
Keiththom

p.2 #16 · stealing snowy owls

Andrew J wrote:
Farmer did not know he was there, so how could he have given permission. More bad reporting from that reporter, who may be to blame for this whole mess.

"After conferring with birdwatchers, the Amish farmer withdrew his permission to let the falconer attempt to trap an owl, according to some witnesses at the scene."

Andrew: If he was trespassing, then he was in the wrong. If he was not and birdwatchers convinced the land-owner to withdraw permission, then he very well may have been right. If a land-owner gives me permission to be on his property, then I may be there without his knowledge at times and still have permission. Either way, I don't think any of us who were not there have enough information to make a judgement at this point.

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:01 PM
mptnest
• •
p.2 #17 · stealing snowy owls

To set the forum and Scott's statement in the article straight, I personally spoke with the farmer. The farmer was not asked for permission nor did he have any previous awareness of the falconer attempting to capture a snowy owl. Amish are extremely kind and generous. After questioning, the information I heard was the Falconer was granted permission to stay for the remainder of the day, but not welcomed back. With continued pressure from onlookers, the falconer picked up his traps and exited the scene. Whisper down the lane.

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 06:47 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:38 PM
Keiththom

p.2 #18 · stealing snowy owls

I have a permit that allows me to legally trap authorized raptors. It would be in extremely poor taste however, to knowingly attempt to trap a raptor that was wearing a transmitter and being used in any type of research project. But I don't know how many owls were there and whether or not he was attempting to target a tagged bird.

Back in the early 70's we witnessed the largest invasion on northern goshawks ever recorded in the middle U.S. I was running a trapping station at the time in the midwest. It was apparent to us then that these birds were on a kind of "death march." I doubt that any made it back north alive. The birds we trapped were in pretty sad shape. The northern birds are coming in contact with all kinds of pathagens that they have no resistance to. The birds however would appear healthy to any observer watching them from afar.

From all reports, it sounds as if these owls appear healthy. I would love to know what percentage make it back north successfully, if any. Hopefully the tagging program will tell us that some day.

Mar 03, 2014 at 04:57 PM
Keiththom

p.2 #19 · stealing snowy owls

jmckayak wrote:
Andy, thank Al for using his contacts to stop this, at least temporarily. We need to change the laws so that this doesn't happen again.
There were hundreds of people out trying to see the owls, especially the one named 'Amishtown'. How is it possible that this guy could just drive up and capture one of those owls? Even if it was TOTALLY legal (This ISN'T), it is totally unacceptable! NO ONE IN LANCASTER COUNTY would like to see any one their owls taken!

John

John: If as you state, hundreds of photographers are chasing this owl around, I see that as possibly more of a problem than one falconer with a trap. Bumping a bird multiple times that has already endured the stress of migrating south due to depletion of food sources could easily push a raptor over the edge.

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:36 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.2 #20 · stealing snowy owls

Way to go, Andrew--a great example for us all to follow. You may have done this in a photo you didn't post: also get his license plate in the photo. Thanks for doing this.
---John

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:43 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password