New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

pmounce
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

So, got the camera and liking it so far, but not too happy with the display options. Here are my choices:

1: Eye sensor activates Viewfinder, otherwise LCD constantly on.

2: VF constantly on, LCD always off.

3: LCD constantly on, VF always off.

4: Eye sensor activates VF, LCD always off.

I want it to act like my DSLR. When I put my eye to the VF it turns on, and when I push the menu button the LCD turns on.

So far #4 is the best option, but when I press the menu or Q button, the display is in the viewfinder. I find this rather annoying as changing menu settings there is a pain. Is there another way of setting it up that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Paul

Mar 01, 2014 at 05:18 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

Unfortunately, there is not. All of the Fuji's operate this way AFAIK. Unsure whether this is a hardware or firmware limitation at this point, but if it's FW related, hopefully fuji will make an update available soon!

Mar 01, 2014 at 07:14 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

It's not a DSLR, it's a mirrorless camera, so its always needs some sort of live view from the sensor

It wouldn't really make much sense to have no view in the EVF and no view on the LCD, because that would basically be the same as having the camera turned off, which actually would probably be just what it sounds like your after

Mar 01, 2014 at 08:51 PM
bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

pmounce wrote:
So, got the camera and liking it so far, but not too happy with the display options. Here are my choices:

1: Eye sensor activates Viewfinder, otherwise LCD constantly on.

2: VF constantly on, LCD always off.

3: LCD constantly on, VF always off.

4: Eye sensor activates VF, LCD always off.

I want it to act like my DSLR. When I put my eye to the VF it turns on, and when I push the menu button the LCD turns on.

So far #4 is the best option, but when I press the menu or Q button, the display is in the viewfinder. I
...Show more

Depends. I use option one but on the LCD I switch that to the info view. It doesn't show the live but a summary of my current settings (like the LCD on the top right of most DSLRs). I think look through the viewfinder to see the live view. Works great I think for someone used to a DSLR.

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:10 PM
pmounce
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

Millsart, I don't want the EVF off all of the time, only when I'm not looking through it. I don't want the LCD off all of the time either, but I only want it to turn on when I push the menu button. I grasp the concept that something has to be on to use the camera, I just want to separate the functions so that the EVF only shows what the sensor sees, and the LCD only shows the menu/playback...

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:50 AM
pmounce
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

Thanks biohazard, I was afraid this was the case. Seems like you should be able to separate the functions, but I guess they haven't thought about it from that perspective.

BiohazardX369 wrote:
Unfortunately, there is not. All of the Fuji's operate this way AFAIK. Unsure whether this is a hardware or firmware limitation at this point, but if it's FW related, hopefully fuji will make an update available soon!

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:52 AM
pmounce
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

Interesting idea. Is there a way to specify how long the LCD stays on, or is that only controlled by the auto-off time?
It seems that the options are a bit limited as far as that goes. Thanks for the idea, I'll try it out!

bcaslis wrote:
Depends. I use option one but on the LCD I switch that to the info view. It doesn't show the live but a summary of my current settings (like the LCD on the top right of most DSLRs). I think look through the viewfinder to see the live view. Works great I think for someone used to a DSLR.

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:56 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

The only Fuji ILC that allows you to use the LCD when it's off is the Xpro, and it only turns it on for reviewing photos with the play button (ie pressing the menu or Fn button doesn't)
At least with the X-T1 you have a view mode button which means you can toggle between viewing modes and activate your LCD quickly. The Xe2 doesnt even have that, if your LCD is off, in order to use it you have to change modes through the menus while looking through the EVF.

People have been waiting for Fuji to fix this with a FW but no luck.

Mar 02, 2014 at 07:20 AM
bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-T1 Question regarding LCD

pmounce wrote:
Interesting idea. Is there a way to specify how long the LCD stays on, or is that only controlled by the auto-off time?
It seems that the options are a bit limited as far as that goes. Thanks for the idea, I'll try it out!

No, it uses the power management time to turn the camera off (default is 2 minutes) but there isn't a separate time for the LCD. If you want the LCD off this won't help but I love this since you can see the current settings as you pull the camera to your eye before you take the shot. Also makes me think I still have a DSLR and a big old setting LCD!

Mar 02, 2014 at 10:53 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.