New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2014 · What the heck is this?

Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What the heck is this?

digitalbug30d wrote:
Shhh there are women and Nikon photogs they might believe that..

I don't know why you publicly state such a sexist position or even hold it in the first place. I know you are trying to make a joke, but it would be effective without the sexism.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:51 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What the heck is this?

onegreatcity wrote:
Memory card error/failure is my guess. Did you use a card reader?

Almost certainly...

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:58 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What the heck is this?

I've had something similar happen to me, random corruption in the lower right quadrant of the image.

I read the images into the computer via both card reader and via USB cable, and I see the same thing.

So I've narrowed it down to either camera or card. Now I'm using a different card and we'll see if it happens again.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What the heck is this?

It is possible for two cards to be bad, even top brand name cards: there is a lot of counterfeiting out there and even very reputable retailers can be deceived somewhere in the supply chain.

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:44 PM
grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What the heck is this?

I can't do any of the various tests suggested because I've already erased the card - from the first few replies, it seemed clear that was the problem. But then yesterday I got a ... drum roll ... blue screen shutdown on my computer. For the last few weeks, I've had some odd things happening, like Lightroom having trouble generating previews and once or twice the "Lightroom has encountered a problem and needs to close..." message. So now I'm thinking card reader (motherboard actually). Any thoughts?

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:10 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What the heck is this?

grog13 wrote:
...yesterday I got a ...blue screen shutdown on my computer. ...So now I'm thinking card reader (motherboard actually). Any thoughts?

It could be a coincidence, and you have two unrelated issues, but it could also be one problem. A bad card reader would be unlikely to cause the computer problems you've experienced, but a memory or GPU problem could.

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:33 PM
grog13
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What the heck is this?

BrianO wrote:
It could be a coincidence, and you have two unrelated issues, but it could also be one problem. A bad card reader would be unlikely to cause the computer problems you've experienced, but a memory or GPU problem could.

The card reader is built in, so I was thinking the other way around - bad motherboard or other component causing faulty card reading?

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:40 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What the heck is this?

BrianO wrote:
It could be a coincidence, and you have two unrelated issues, but it could also be one problem.

grog13 wrote:
The card reader is built in, so I was thinking the other way around - bad motherboard or other component causing faulty card reading?

Yep; if there's a memory or I/O problem during reading of the card you could get the effect you experienced.

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:55 PM
Nathan Hobbs
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What the heck is this?

Card error. Cards are cheap enough these days, toss it get a good fast new card and go on with life. Pictures can be too priceless to wonder wether or not a card is going to do this to your images.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:37 PM
dale keith
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What the heck is this?

What is all the fuss. I saw some pictures very similar to yours in an "Avant Garde" gallery in New York. The asking price was in the thousands. Print those images and head to new york.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:29 PM
robsuh
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What the heck is this?

This can also happen to images just sitting on your computer. It is called bitrot.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/

I have thousands of images on my hard drive and I see corrupted images occasionally. Some next gen file systems on Linux (ZFS and btrfs) and I believe ReFS on Windows 8.1 can be used to combat it.

I think zfs/btrfs can detect errors (crc) on single drives, but won't be able to fix them unless you use their RAID features.

Not sure of OS X has something equivalent. Not sure about those RAID arrays (like Synology) also, but I doubt it. zfs/btrfs/ReFS are advanced fs and need some serious hardware (like > 1GB RAM and 64bit OS, at least for zfs.)

Saying all that, I store copies of my data across multiple computers (work computer is Windows 7) and backup storage computer is a Linux box with btrfs. I use bittorrent sync (btsync), which is a fantastic tool to keep your data replicated automatically. This system is safe, cheap, easy to understand, and you could securely copy your images to your friends/moms computer over the internet (though it will be pretty slow with consumer broadband.)

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:34 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What the heck is this?

Failing memory card. I just had one do this exact thing to me last week. Contacted Lexar and they RMA'd it and will send me a replacement.

Only happens with that one card, about one image every 75 or so. No other CF card did it, which is how I know it was the card and not the camera PCB or anything.

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:55 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What the heck is this?

grog13 wrote:

Without getting too technical, that card reader connects to an independent USB controller chip on the computer motherboard. Some motherboards have more than one spare USB connector that a card reader could plug into. It plugs in via a D-shaped 10-pin plug (with one of the pins missing) and a connector that is designed for easy orientation.

If the card reader is defective, you can replace it with a similar model, or disconnect it and get an external card reader that plugs into a standard USB connector. To see if the card reader is the problem, disconnect it from the motherboard. You can trace the wire inside the computer case.

Getting a blue screen is suspicious, but it could be coincidental. Defective Memory chips and video cards, or PCI cards not fully inserted into their slots can cause blue screens, but so can viruses.

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:30 PM
grog13
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What the heck is this?

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Without getting too technical, that card reader connects to an independent USB controller chip on the computer motherboard. Some motherboards have more than one spare USB connector that a card reader could plug into. It plugs in via a D-shaped 10-pin plug (with one of the pins missing) and a connector that is designed for easy orientation.

If the card reader is defective, you can replace it with a similar model, or disconnect it and get an external card reader that plugs into a standard USB connector. To see if the card reader is the problem, disconnect it from the
...Show more

Thanks for this. I don't think it's a virus - this computer's never been connected to the internet, and the few programs on it that were downloaded the tranferred by thumb drive are also running on another computer without problems. But I'll check the connections - a friend told me he had a similar problem that disappeared when he simply cleaned his RAM connections. Seems a little too optimistic, but I'll try it.

Mar 07, 2014 at 09:20 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What the heck is this?

bad mem card.

Mar 07, 2014 at 09:25 PM
grog13
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What the heck is this?

So if any of you helpful folks are still following this thread, guess what? Now I'm seeing some of my previously downloaded raw files (i.e. 2 or 3 years old) being rendered in the same strange way. This has happened with 2 files so far. In one case, switching the process version to 2010 restored the image. In the other case, no dice. And in the second case, the file at first appeared corrupted only in the develop module - switching to library or grid view showed a normal preview - but eventually the previews were screwed up too. So it looks like maybe the memory card is off the hook - something must be up with the computer or with Lightroom. Any guesses?

Mar 12, 2014 at 05:40 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What the heck is this?

I had a similar problem once, but only for 3-4 images in a row. In bridge they showed as corrupted and when I opened them in PS (via Bridge) they also looked corrupted. So I copied them off the card to another location, pointed Bridge to it and got the same symptoms. However, when I opened them directly in PS from a third location, they were fine. I'm a computer pro and pretty savvy with things like this, but I was stumped. Fortunately, I haven't seen it again.

Edit: I can't recall exactly why I tried to open them directly with PS, but I think I saw something in Bridge that suggested it was corrupting them. I think the thumbnails showed fine briefly and then changed to corrupted. That's all I recall.

Mar 12, 2014 at 06:11 PM
shelbystripes

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What the heck is this?

grog13 wrote:
So if any of you helpful folks are still following this thread, guess what? Now I'm seeing some of my previously downloaded raw files (i.e. 2 or 3 years old) being rendered in the same strange way. This has happened with 2 files so far. In one case, switching the process version to 2010 restored the image. In the other case, no dice. And in the second case, the file at first appeared corrupted only in the develop module - switching to library or grid view showed a normal preview - but eventually the previews were screwed up too. So
...Show more
Could be bad RAM, or a glitch in the OS, or in Lightroom.

I hope you have backups of all your files. If not, yank the hard drive and make a backup using another computer ASAP. If you make the backup using your possibly-defective computer, then your new backup will possibly be defective, which defeats the purpose of a backup.

Mar 12, 2014 at 07:24 PM
grog13
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What the heck is this?

Got good backups, no worries there. Don't think I want to make one just now, though..... Fortunately haven't done anything important since this cropped up.

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM
grog13
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What the heck is this?

robsuh wrote:
This can also happen to images just sitting on your computer. It is called bitrot.

Looks like it has.......

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.