New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Night view from my window

jasonyuen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night view from my window

This is my first try at a creative shot. I've only started my photography path a couple weeks ago. I've also never done any photo manipulation before. I am trying my hand at photoshop elements. My goal is to make the image convey a sense of a dark cold late winter night in Canada. Afterall, this image was taken at 3am in Toronto. I also wanted to emphasize the horizon maple leaf bokeh. Any suggestions? Please be nice but not too nice

Ricoh GXR A12
DIY maple leaf bokeh filter
35mm Leica Summilux F1.4
ISO 200
Exposure 6000ms

edited

original

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:35 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night view from my window

Hey Jason, I think starting out with a lot of experimentation is a great idea. IMO your edit is a nice improvement as far as portraying dark and cold. The hot red maple leaf, however, works against that theme. The bright light (is that the moon?) is too centrally placed. See what you think of a pano crop from the bottom so that the start of the headlight streak is near the corner. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:02 AM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night view from my window

Great tips. I actually thought the red dot would be kind of a highlight but I guess you're right about it clashing with the theme. The middle white ball is actually a giant ufo-like street light for the freeway. If I had it my way, it wouldn't be there, but I guess that's a lesson in learning how to work with the frame right? As for the pano, I thought of cropping the bottom out as well but I have been doing some reading about the rule of thirds and was freaking out about how that might cause the horizon to be too close to the middle. I know the rules aren't set in stone, but I figure I better stick with them until I learn a bit more about photo composition and editing. Thanks for your input! I'm starting to see the creative and technical aspect of photography working together to create a good photograph and I love it.

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:29 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night view from my window

The rule of thirds occasionally can be a nuisance. Creativity, wish I had more of it, and rules don't seem to go together all that well. Do what suits you.

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:39 AM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night view from my window

I did a bit of cropping and made it a pano like you suggested. I also took the opportunity to cut out the street light as much as possible, but I can't get around the aura glow left over. The size of the maple leafs now look a bit too big for the image, but perhaps the only way to fix that would be to retake the photo and adjust the size with the focus accordingly. It kind of makes the freeway look miniature. Kinda like tilt shift photography.

Mar 01, 2014 at 08:23 AM
chronoserge456

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Night view from my window

Cool experimentation. I'd love to see what it looks like sharper though.

Mar 12, 2014 at 09:49 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.