New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · People are hard!

natemerz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · People are hard!

When I was much younger (around middle school age) I was deeply interested in photography. For me, it was all about landscape and nature photography and I carried a heavy almuminim tripod and Nikon FM2--freshly loaded with a roll of Velvia 50-- everywhere my family went.

Years later as I am getting interested in photography again (bought my first dslr a few months ago) I find myself taking more photos of people...considering the landscape options in South Korea are fairly limited! However, its very hard for me to get something that I like. Focusing with my d600 is often a challenge and I miss focus on the eyes more times than I can count.

Here is an example of something I took recently. Nothing fancy, it was just taken in a cafe where photography was not the main focus of the afternoon. In this kind of shot what sort of aperture would you use to get both eyes in focus?

Also, I am just wondering what advice or resources you would recommend for someone like me?

Your comments and help would be greatly appreciated

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:25 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · People are hard!

To get both eyes in focus, first use a depth of field (DOF) calculator to tell you the variables.

Read up on the amount in focus ahead of and behind the focus point. Google will find a DOF calculator for you.

Armed with that, use a DOF that is deep enough to cover both eyes.

Mar 01, 2014 at 04:18 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · People are hard!

For an 85mm you probably need f5.6 at that range if the eyes aren't flat on
to you. However I like the out of focus areas in this shot so who knows? In general shots also look more pleasing if shot from about eyebrow height but I'm sure you'll get lots of contradictory views on that!

Mar 01, 2014 at 04:26 AM
Dramodt

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · People are hard!

I like it regardless.

Mar 02, 2014 at 12:36 PM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · People are hard!

You aren't doing so badly. I'd consider this a keeper. The light is very nice. While I prefer both eyes to be in focus, it is not a necessity.

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:53 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · People are hard!

bcguy wrote:
You aren't doing so badly. I'd consider this a keeper. The light is very nice. While I prefer both eyes to be in focus, it is not a necessity.

agreed, for this shot the OOF eye isn't even that bad enough to detract from the overall good feel of the image.

Mar 02, 2014 at 10:06 PM
natemerz

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · People are hard!

nextelbuddy wrote:
agreed, for this shot the OOF eye isn't even that bad enough to detract from the overall good feel of the image.

Thanks~ I guess the small size and extra sharpening over eyes helped.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess its just a tough balance between nice background and enough dof to keep the face in focus.

Mar 02, 2014 at 10:56 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.