Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

13 shots from tonight's meet, the second-to-last (home) meet of the season. Last week I worked the 200/1.8. Tonight I went with the 70-200 for bars, beam and floor (used the 85/1.8 for vault and 24-70 on a second body for floor). It's a lot easier to shoot with the 70-200, but I just don't think it has that 'wow' potential. So this photographer can't count AND blames his equipment! C&C welcome.

[Edit] It's weird, but the photos as posted here look better than I thought they did as I was working on them, so I'm off to apologize to that 70-200.....

The background is soooo messy...

This is what it looks like when you absolutely nail your floor routine (though much to the crowd's displeasure, she received 'only' a 9.925 from the judges).

Edited on Mar 01, 2014 at 06:56 AM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:45 AM
mikepmcs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

I don't think I've ever commented on Gymnastics because it's not my thing.
But I will say this...IT's definitely your thing! These are flawless.
#4. HANDLED!
All fantastic.

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:54 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Russ,

Yep, you owe the 70-200 a sincere apology Interesting work on #4, I like what you did. Gotta pick #12 as the shot of the night. The story is portrays, speaks louder than any words one could put to it!

Great work my friend

Matt

Mar 01, 2014 at 02:42 PM
scottiet
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Excellent set Russ. I too like #4.

Thanks for sharing.

Mar 01, 2014 at 02:47 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Wait, jeez, didn't gym just start?? Life's flying on by me, Russ.

Yet another good looking set- since I'm a sucker for b/w, I love 11. Really like 10, too. It just feels a little tight on the width, but maybe you didn't have the pixels for a little more room.

Lastly, maybe you got a little mixed up on 12- this was obviously taken at the moment she saw her score.

Well done, Professor.

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:55 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Mike: Thank you for the compliment.

Hey Matt, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to know that #4 worked for you. Still waiting for the 70-200's forgiveness.

scottiet: You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.

Tom, yeah, well, it does seem like the season just started, but then again it seems I have that same view of just about everything these days. Thank goodness that in neither of our cases does this have anything to do with age! As for #10, I think mostly I was trying to minimize the background/distractions. I do have more pixels so here's a re-crop. Not sure if this gives it the space you were envisioning. Thanks for sharing your impressions. Still waiting for you to apply for the artistic director position.....

10A.

Mar 01, 2014 at 04:52 PM
Vancouver47
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Wonderful series yet again. White balance looks a bit different (cooler) than most previous shoots. Has lighting changed in the arena?

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

I'm liking the extra room, Russ. Especially since she's so horizontal in the image. In the first crop, I can actually imagine that she's trying to bust out of the frame.

Mar 01, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Excellent my friend. Lovin #4

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:43 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

I must be the exception... I really like the IDEA of #4, but I just can't get past the blue reflections on her from the (no longer) blue mat.

A brilliant set, I love seeing your work.

Cheers,
Paul

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kateman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Russ,

yes, i would have to agree that the 70-200 has some forgiveness coming. you should, at the very least, buy the lady a beer.
thanks for sharing, another, great set of images.
B

Mar 02, 2014 at 02:21 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Russ, nice set!

One question tho (and it seems to apply to a lot of the gymnastics photos I am seeing here): is the lighting that harsh and coming from the top? Is it (as compared to basketball / volleyball) because the floor is covered in mostly non reflective mats cutting down the reflected light off the floor?

The only time I even shot gymnastics was in a really crappy, 50 years old gym and I had to bump up to 10,000 ISO... But I don't remember the lighting being that harsh.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Mar 02, 2014 at 02:48 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Blake: Thank you. White balance might be different. All these meets are being televised on the Pac-12 network and it's possible the lights have been adjusted to change the color temperature. The amount of light doesn't seem to have changed.

Thanks again, Tom. You were right on with your assessment.

Thank you, Ted!

Paul: Thanks for your comments. You're right about that reflection being there for the keen observer to see and be bothered by. I probably could desaturate the blues without that causing any problems, but I'm not trying that hard to sell it, only reduce the feeling of background clutter. But good call.

Bret: A beer it is. And who knows where this could lead... Thank you as always for your supportive comments.

Thank you, Denis. The lighting is harsh. The current generation of cameras seems to do better with allowing for a bit more gradation between the harsh light and the shadows, and the files hold up better to editing, but it's a problem. As you suggest, it's the combination of the lights being all top-down spots and the mats absorbing it all. I've suggested many times that if they were to change the mats to white or neutral gray, my photos would look a heck of a lot better! I'm including a photo of the arena to show how concentrated and unidirectional the lights are. Same arena and same lights work pretty well for basketball.

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:03 AM
karrphoto

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Having shot in a cave of a High School today (bounced between 12.8k and 16k) I'd be happy with any one of these shots.

I'm also disapointed how much difference there is between high school (even seniors) and college level gymnastics..

Needless to say, I need to start shooting more college work and less high school.

Mar 02, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Dramodt

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Really nice set!

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:48 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Thanks, Dramodt.

Mar 02, 2014 at 08:40 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Another great set Russ and another easy win for the Utes!

Always hard to pick favorites so maybe I'll just generalize. The jube and team shots are great this round. I also always enjoy your choices for B&W conversions. I'm trying to not automatically like anything with Nansy in it, but it's not easy.

Ah Hell, #7 this time. Shots like that never get old.

Mar 02, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

#'s 4, 10A and 12 for me. Always nice to see a packed house.

Mar 05, 2014 at 05:41 PM
kylehess10
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

#7 is the winner for me. Not a fan of the selective color but overall this is a great set.

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gymnastics: A Photographer's Dozen

Russ,

Great work, as usual. For me, numbers 10 and 11 stand out. 12 shows lots of emotion, which I like, but it seems out of place with the typical decorum of gymnastics. Either way, another great set.

Bob

Mar 07, 2014 at 12:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password