FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Uses for tilt-shift

nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Uses for tilt-shift

ngaio wrote:
If you own an iphone or ipod touch then it's hard to go wrong using this: http://www.snapi.org/snapi/Tilt_Calculator.html

Seeing that I just purchased the TS-E 24mm II several weeks ago, this app will be installed on my iPhone. Thanks!

-Nick

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Egor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Uses for tilt-shift

Here is another use for a tse lens....this time I use a 45TSe and 5D2 "piggybacked" onto my PhaseOne645 DF/Leaf medium format back.
"Why" you may ask? because my medium format back blows the doors off any dslr in terms of IQ and resolution, but because it uses a CCD sensor instead of a CMOS video-friendly sensor like the dslr's, it cant do Live View well at all. In fact, compared to even the cheapest dslr out there, my PhaseOne LV fu is awful, slow, grainy...you name it, its bad...

So I took a 5D2 and piggybacked it on top of the PhaseOne/Leaf mfd and I use a 45Tse (almost the same as the 80mm on the 645 chip) on the 5D2 ...shifted to correct for parallax... and voila! Canon LiveView coupled with PhaseOne medium format quality.
I know this isnt exactly what the OP asked for, but hey...

http://www.eprepservices.com/public/ePrep/piggyback_01a.jpg

http://www.eprepservices.com/public/ePrep/piggyback_02.jpg

Mar 06, 2014 at 07:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Uses for tilt-shift

So, Egor, that's really cool. How is the 5DII focus coupled to the DF/DM?

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:54 PM
Egor
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Uses for tilt-shift

Hi J,
The focus is not coupled (both cameras have very decent auto focus mechanisms). We use the set up for layout and styling when the camera is inaccessible and the AD needs exact placement for layout work. Canon LV is the "gold standard" for this type of work! It has so many features and options related to commercial photography that everything else pales in comparison. Even CaptureOne's LV features fall short of good ole Canon Utilities!
For focus issues like art repro or tech cam work, we actually have the canon focus on the ground glass and project onto big screen TV's

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Uses for tilt-shift

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Egor
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Uses for tilt-shift

J: I know, right??

Truth is I use TSE lenses a lot for a lot of reasons, so I liked this thread when I saw it.
-you can use TSE lenses to make architectural models look like real cityscapes and vice/versa (I personally like to shoot real architecture and cityscapes and using TE lenses make them look like model train sets
-you can use TSE lenses to shoot incredible landscapes where everything is in focus from a few inches to infinity.
-multi-stitch panoramas and extended resolution by shifting and compositing. Do it all the time, easier than PT
-they are invaluable for macro (unless what you are shooting is flat and 1 dimensional
-the 90TSE has the best bokeh for portraits and flower shots I have ever seen...bar none. Also you can use the tilt to focus on only one plane where you want the eye to go
-oh yeah, you can use the 17 or 24 TSE to correct perspective...(yawn

As far as Sheimpflug is concerned, it's a great start to learn the reasoning behind tilts and shifts, but you eventually have to be able "see" it in your mind. Once you can do that, you won't need calculators or charts. Like anything else, you gotta put in the hours.

Mar 08, 2014 at 01:39 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Uses for tilt-shift

Thank you Egor. and others who contributed I've learned some things about ts-e from this thread.

keith

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:35 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Uses for tilt-shift

Below is an example of a photo I took of a Sigma 50 f/.4 lens I sold. I took it with a 24 TS-e II with a fair amount of tilt. There is now way I could have gotten the whole lens in focus without tilt. Even stopped down the DOF would have been too narrow.

The 24 TS-e II has a fairly good maximum magnification.

Mar 10, 2014 at 09:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.