New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

20four80five
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

For the people who have used/owned both, if you had to choose just one lens for portraits, which one would you keep and why?

I currently own the 85 1.4G and am contemplating replacing it with the more 'unique' 58 1.4G

Please let me know your thoughts

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

The 85 1.4G is a bad a$$ lens. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:30 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

I have both if these lenses. Ever since I got the 58 I've never taken th 85 out much. But I'm a bad example since I don't heavily shoot portraits. The transitions are definitely unique.

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:49 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

Having owned both lenses, this is how I break it down...

Wide open sharpness : 85
Better portrait focal length:85
Character and uniqueness: 58
What you can have more fun with: 58
Overall...58 wins for me b/c its different than anything out there and the images ive seen and made from it are different that what an 85 can do.

Good luck in your decision

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

I love my 85 1.4...but maybe sell it and get an 85 1.8 on sale right now as well as the 58?

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

The difference between the 85mm 1.8 and the 1.4 wasn't large enough for me to justify the extra $1K. I'm currently dumping that savings into a 300mm 2.8 of some sort, I haven't decided which yet.

If I were you and I thought that the 58mm would help, I would sell your 85mm 1.4 and buy the 58mm 1.4. If you miss the 85mm, grab the 85mm 1.8 for $4-500 the next time you have some extra cash- great value and only a sliver of compromise for the best of both worlds.

Mar 01, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

I have the 85mm f/1.4G and it is spectacular! I have the 58mm as well but I don't use it much. The 58mm (basically 50mm because you can't tell much at all from 8mm), is good for waist up & full length portraits, not face close-ups because of some mild distortion. However when shot at f/4, the 58mm is super sharp! But then again, so is the 85mm. The 85mm's magnification is similar to the eye. Plus with more glass in front, you will have more light grasp and higher resolution of your subjects. Both are nice. The 58mm is great for street photography and landscapes, the 85mm is best for high resolution portraits... I'd keep the 85mm and just save and buy the 58mm .......or, rent the 58mm for a day and decide form there.

Todd

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:29 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

I've been pretty passionate in my advocacy of the 58 1.4G. This lens has many critics, which I find frustrating because this lens is impossible to evaluate until you've worked with it yourself. It renders differently than anything I've ever shot with. I marvel at the bokeh and I'm not sure how Nikon achieved bokeh like this in the 50mm range. However, I need to state something I haven't said before publicly. I've been frustrated with the 58. At first, when you're just shooting things/people casually you're in awe of the bokeh. But after using this lens on a few paid gigs, where my results are very predictable, I was annoyed by the softness. You understand what I mean? When you're working professionally you have a very exact idea of the results before you've snap any pics, because you've done this before. But the 58 was delivering much softer results than I was accustomed to. So for the first time ever I made an AF Tune adjustment, chasing sharpness, and that helped dramatically. Shots at or above f2 are very satisfactory now. And at f2 the bokeh is still nice. But shooting at 1.4 to 1.8 isn't something I would recommend, it's too unpredictable for a paid gig where you absolutely need results. Which brings me to my final point. I've struggled to reach for the 58, even after the AF Tune, because I know the 85 and 70-200 give me superior results. I want sharpness more than bokeh when it come down to it, at last for my professional work. So the 58 has not come even close to being my preferred portrait lens. If you're the type of person who shoots slow, maybe you manual focus, maybe you shoot tethered, or maybe you're trying to make art, then this us the lens for you. You'll use nothing else. I did some self portraits with the lens and they were magical. But if you have a deadline, a schedule, and you've got a lot of work to do, and a lot of clients waiting, then the 85 will give you the kind of reliability you need. Plus the 85 has wonderful bokeh too. Sharpness + bokeh. I just can't ignore that. Anyway, I hate to say anything negative about the 58, because there's so much unjustified negativity about this lens already. If I was shooting my daughter around the house, my dogs, if I were traveling, or street photography, then this is the only lens I would. It's so artistic. But I need something more clinical, that I can count on, for my professional work.

Update: the contributors to the 58mm thread right here on FM have proven that some copies of the 58 are much sharper than others. Just take a look at that thread and you'll see dozens and dozens of sharp shots, wide open. I regret very much that I got a soft copy

The original Noct was plagued by this exact manufacturing issue. Isn't that interesting? So be sure to order from a good seller that will allow you to exchange your lens. Take your time and do thorough tests. Because a sharp 58 is a wonder

Edited on Nov 04, 2014 at 12:00 AM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2014 at 02:14 AM
dgjean
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I've been pretty passionate in my advocacy of the 58 1.4G. This lens has many critics, which I find frustrating because this lens is impossible to evaluate until you've worked with it yourself. It renders differently than anything I've ever shot with. I marvel at the bokeh and I'm not sure how Nikon achieved bokeh like this in the 50mm range. However, I need to state something I haven't said before publicly. I've been frustrated with the 58. At first, when you're just shooting things/people casually you're in awe of the bokeh. But after using this lens on a few
...Show more

Probably the best short review I've seen on this lens. Well done!

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:09 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

I own both 85/1.4 and the 58/1.4.
The reason is simply for camera to subject distance. At the distance I like to shoot, the 85 gives me a C/U and the 58 gives me H&S......as for sofness WO, it just saves me extra time to smooth out the skin in post.

What I am trying to say, is that the choice of 85 vs 58 is very much dependant on your shooting requirements as both give a somewhat simlar rendition.

Lately, the 85/1.4 has been sleeping in the cabinet and replaced with the 85/1.8

Mar 01, 2014 at 05:55 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

Haven't heard much on the 58 with a crop body - seems like this would be a great portrait length and perhaps not as easy to miss shot wide open or near it?

For the price of the 58 though, you could pick up a used Sigma 1.4 trio - 35, 50, 85

Unless you just won't notice the $1700 missing, that trio would be a lot more tempting in my book

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:50 AM
jtra
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

I don't have 58, but I see its main selling point to be background bokeh. It is really creamy based on lot of pictures I have seen.

It likely to be better than my Sigma 50/1.4, but the Sigma is 80% there at fraction of price. Sigma 50/1.4 has slightly more smooth background bokeh than 50/1.8G (at equivalent apertures - I have comparison pictures) and significantly more smooth background bokeh than 50/1.4G (based on comparison done by others - I have links to them on my page).
My comparison is here:
http://jtra.cz/stuff/essays/bokeh/index.html

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:59 AM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

I think the key word here is portraits. The 85mm 1.4 is a great lens for that.

You could rent the 58mm if you wanted to try it.

Mar 01, 2014 at 12:08 PM
20four80five
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I've been pretty passionate in my advocacy of the 58 1.4G. This lens has many critics, which I find frustrating because this lens is impossible to evaluate until you've worked with it yourself. It renders differently than anything I've ever shot with. I marvel at the bokeh and I'm not sure how Nikon achieved bokeh like this in the 50mm range. However, I need to state something I haven't said before publicly. I've been frustrated with the 58. At first, when you're just shooting things/people casually you're in awe of the bokeh. But after using this lens on a few
...Show more

Wow, thanks so much for you feedback. You've definitely given me the correct insight that I needed.

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:19 PM
20four80five
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

jtra wrote:
I don't have 58, but I see its main selling point to be background bokeh. It is really creamy based on lot of pictures I have seen.

It likely to be better than my Sigma 50/1.4, but the Sigma is 80% there at fraction of price. Sigma 50/1.4 has slightly more smooth background bokeh than 50/1.8G (at equivalent apertures - I have comparison pictures) and significantly more smooth background bokeh than 50/1.4G (based on comparison done by others - I have links to them on my page).
My comparison is here:
http://jtra.cz/stuff/essays/bokeh/index.html

Can't wait to see how the new Sigma 50 1.4 Art renders bokeh

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:21 PM
20four80five
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

I am more than likely going to hold onto my 85 1.4G. I have seen the wonderful photos that the 58 1.4G produces but at it's current price I don't think it's worth it considering it's not on par with its other pro-prime counterparts (24 1.4G, 35 1.4G, 85 1.4G) which all have great sharpness + bokeh.

I'll be very interested to see how the new Sigma 50 1.4 Art will compare as I'm sure it will be a few $$$ cheaper too!

Thanks all for the feedback - helped out a lot!

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:30 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

Buy the proper focal length for your application. This is a lot more important than anything else. If you're uncertain what focal length you need, buy a zoom and see which focal lengths you use for which types of images, and then if the zoom is inadequate get a prime to address specific shortcomings.

Mar 01, 2014 at 03:01 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

For people photography longer is better and the limitation is the available working distance between the camera and the subject. With my DX cameras the 85mm was often too long when shooting indoors as it is effectively a 135mm lens and guess how popular that focal length has been with 35mm film and DSLR shooters.

For FX cameras I wanted something shorter than 135mm and my favorite is the 105mm f2. The 85mm is too short for my purposes and the 105mm is not too long and provides a better perspective.

The 58mm is a lens that Nikon should have release a decade ago when the only cameras they offered were DX format. The 58mm on a DX is effectively a 85mm lens and perfectly suited for use on such cameras.

I cannot understand the confusion as these are very old concepts with regard to portrait photography that go back more than a century. Digital has not changed the perspectives that are best and the focal lengths are reflective of the size of the sensor. It may be the influence of photojournalists and the lack of understanding that people like Cartier-Bresson and the like were not portrait photographers by any stretch of the imagination.

Mar 01, 2014 at 05:11 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

Sigma 85 and the new 50, then use the few thousand left to buy other toys.

Mar 01, 2014 at 07:28 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 85 1.4G or 58 1.4G

etchen wrote:
Wow, thanks so much for you feedback. You've definitely given me the correct insight that I needed.

If you were thinking of replacing the 85 with the 58, I agree that it's probably not the best idea. Ideally you'd own both, but that's pretty expensive, as I've found out, ha! But I really encourage you to rent or borrow before you give up on the whole prospect. I know you'll really enjoy it. Trust me! And after you're done testing you'll know for sure if this lens is for you or not. There are many many portrait photographers that make a living with soft dreamy photography. Most of them use the Canon 50 1.2L. Before the 58 came out Nikon didn't really offer a lens that could achieve this. Another thing to consider is the focal length. If you've found your 85 consistently too long, then the 58 is for you. So there's still some things to consider before giving up.

To critics of the 58, two things. First, this lens IS pretty sharp by f2. So you can't just write it off as soft. Second, bokeh, softness, and unique rendering make this lens invaluable. It's rendering has no rival. I strongly believe this lens renders exactly how Nikon intended. Nikon's lenses are so incredibly sharp and they shouldn't be ridiculed simply because they thought outside of the box. If you do some research, you'll find this lens renders identically to the original Noct-Nikkor (a lens that is also soft and dreamy wide open) and I think that's an achievement.

Mar 02, 2014 at 12:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.