Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

Focus Locus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

I got a few Lenscoats for my longer lenses. Not because of the tree camo, but more for protection against nicks and scrapes, as well as insulation from surface temperature differentials on the (older) metal lens barrels contributing to internal fogging and condensation while working in humid climates.

In the past, the Lenscoats did not offer any material on the focus or zoom rings. But now, I see that they do. In fact, the Lenscoat model I'm thinking of buying next indeed provides neoprene sleeves that slip directly over and cover the zoom and the FOCUS rings.

So, my questions to you are...

1. Have you ever discovered any difference in auto focus performance as a result of the focus ring being "weighted" with the few extra grams of the Lenscoat ring wrapped around it?

2. Have you ever noticed any stiction or friction between the segments of Lenscoat wrap around the focus ring and the Lenscoat wraps around the lens barrel forward of or rearward of the focus ring?

I imagine that the lens engineers considered the mechanical resistance to rotation, and the mass of the focus ring, when calibrating the energy required to move the ring, and the speed with which a user might expect the ring to respond to achieve and maintain focus.

I imagine that adding another physical element to that focus ring might alter the calibrated predictive performance of the ring.

However, I imagine a lot of things that aren't necessarily true. So what say you?

Feb 28, 2014 at 06:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

I often hold the AF ring still with my finger tips while I'm using AF on my Canon 300/2.8L IS and 500/4L IS. It has no effect on AF speed and accuracy.

What lenses are you using?

Feb 28, 2014 at 06:49 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

by gum you're right! Thanks jcolwell!

I'm not sure why I was still imagining the outer focus ring moved? Too many years of old AI pronged nikkor ingrained into habit is the only feeble explanation I can think of. I see that I still imagine the outer ring moving with the focus, just like all lenses used to.

What has skewed my imagination even more is that I've been shooting an 85 quite a bit recently, and with that lens, the hood moves with the focus ring, so I'm always careful not to touch the hood when shooting.

But the hood, and the focus ring, only move during manual focus. (I set up the camera and tested two lenses after your post just to check this). In auto focus, they don't move. In manual focus, they obviously move, because I'm moving them. I assumed the focus ring moved just the same when autofocusing.

Learn something new all the time. Glad I asked. Thanks again for pointing this out.

Mar 01, 2014 at 02:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

Mar 01, 2014 at 07:25 AM
euua
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

no issues noticed by as well. I actually prefer lens coat zoom or focus ring feel to lens rubber feel.
I dont think it even should interfere in any way at all.

Mar 02, 2014 at 09:05 PM
BT3i

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

Could I hop into this post and ask where would you recommend purchasing lens coats?

Thanks

Mar 04, 2014 at 10:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

BT3i wrote:
... where would you recommend purchasing lens coats?

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/lens-covers-and-caps/

Mar 04, 2014 at 10:28 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

Or directly from LensCoat ...

jcolwell wrote:
http://www.naturescapes.net/store/lens-covers-and-caps/

Mar 05, 2014 at 09:07 AM
BT3i

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

Thank you both!

Mar 05, 2014 at 01:18 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

My gal has the Canon 200-400 and did not put the Lenscoat on the zoom ring. It made it too hard to turn the long travel ring without her fingers sliping off.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:35 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lenscoat interference / weight / bogging down focus ring movements

I found it just great on my 180/2.8 macro ! Focus travel turn on this lens is very very long and it seem to work like a charm for me. Very comfortable and easy operation

PV Hiker wrote:
My gal has the Canon 200-400 and did not put the Lenscoat on the zoom ring. It made it too hard to turn the long travel ring without her fingers sliping off.

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:46 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.